Skip to content

Black Pits 1 and Find Familiar

I tested it on 2.5 and 2.6 and in both you can pick find familiar as a starting spell pick for mages and sorcerers, but when the game starts you lose the spell from your spell book entirely. It is not a matter of not being able to use the spell, it just wipes itself from your known spells. Is this working as intended?

I can just add it to the Character in EEkeeper via the immediate autosave at the beginning, but am struggling to understand why it is available as a spell-pick if it is just going to disappear?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    It's the hazards of running it from the same program as the regular BG1 campaign. You're not intended to have Find Familiar, so the scroll is unavailable and the area script applies a spell to remove all versions of FF from the party when you start. But there's no way to stop you from picking the spell at character creation or a sorcerer's level-up without also doing the same to the main campaign.
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    Thanks, that's interesting to know. I can understand that there must have been time and budget constraints at play, but personally, it feels like something of an unfriendly solution, especially for any new player not being aware that would happen, and with no in-game explanation that I have seen.