Skip to content

Using a custom model for PC

Hello! I've been trying to get a dynamic kobold model to work for my pc in the base game, but I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried adding the hak to the override folder, and using userpatch.ini, and trying to make an appearance.2da file in the override folder, but none of them have worked with the base character that comes with the mod. Do I need to modify an appearance.2da in the modules themselves? I'm completely new to modifying this game, so I'm sort of stabbing in the dark here. The suggestion that comes with the mod involves using the prc character creator, but that doesn't exist for EE.
For reference, I'm using the Steam version with PRC and the CEP installed through the workshop.
The mod in question is this one.

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,280
    edited May 2021
    In the simplest case (a module with no custom content) you can extract the individual files from the hak into override, together with a version of appearance.2da based on the latest EE version plus kobold line. In game, you can then set your PC appearance number to the kobold line by running a script chunk (CTRL-SHIFT-F12 in game to launch the debug tools, then select SCRIPT).

This won't work if the module has a hak which redefines appearance.2da.

To understand why, launch the debug tools, then select RESMAN (resource manager). Scroll down to see the hierarchy of resources. If the same file name exists in two places, the top one wins.

So, module hak trumps override (and patch hak IIRC).

In that case, base your appearance.2da on the module version, adding the kobold line. If you're just doing this for your own amusement, you can put that file in the development folder, which, as you can see, trumps everything.

Here I assume that the kobold models and textures have unique names - if not, they too must move from override to development.

P.S. when distributing work to other people, using override is bad practice, and development is absolutely frowned on, because it can bork other mods.
    Post edited by Proleric on