Skip to content

Is the Steam/GOG Baldur's Gate I/II & Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions 2.6.6 Patch Ready to Release?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited May 2021 in The Road to 2.6
Greetings everyone!

The long-awaited 2.6 Patch for Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II & Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions on PC, Mac and Linux launched successfully! Our community testers played a HUGE role in this success, and everyone on our team is here humbled by your support and feedback.

We've identified a few issues introduced by the patch that require an immediate fix. This is why we're calling for your help again— testing a 2.6.6 Beta before it's released as a stable patch!

Now it's possible to test the beta both on Steam and GOG!

WHAT CHANGED in 2.6.6
All Games | The World Map no longer reopens when travelling to the same location
All Games | Prevented extra button click noises from playing in the UI
All Games | Lightning bolts from the lightning trap and mephit attacks will no longer bounce
All Games | Fixed the removing of Melf's Minute Meteors (and any similarly implemented spell) when a character moves in Multiplayer
All Games | Fixed a Multiplayer issue where a newly added party member was not visible or controllable
All Games | Fixed a Multiplayer issue where the 6th slot characters were having the HP and inventory inadvertently changed
All Games | Fixed a rare issue where clicking on Multiplayer would crash the game
BGI | Tremain will now successfully revive his son
BGI | Yeslick's special ability Dispel Magic no longer applies the continuous graphical effect
BGII | Right-clicking on creatures will once again play their default sound
SOD | Fixed a crash when travelling to the Coalition Camp
SOD | Fixed a Linux crash after a dialogue with Corporal Duncan, near the end of Chapter 10
SOD | Fixed a crash in the music system during the Neothelid fight in the Ritual Chamber
IWD | Reinstalled pincers on the druid boring beetle form
IWD | Fixed a crash when using Spirit Wolves by Totemic Druid

How to Participate:
- Playthrough some quests & VOTE on the release
- Tell us about *new bugs (the beta shouldn't add any issues) - comment below!
- Tell us about major issues affecting saves, visuals, sound & quality - comment below!

How to opt-in & verify you're using the correct version on Steam:
- Please make sure you're using a clean (unmodded) install. Clear your override folder before testing the beta build
- In your Steam Library, Right-Click on the game and choose “Properties”
- Click on the Beta Tab
- Choose the road_to_2.6 in the drop down menu
- If you don't see the road_to_2.6 in the drop down menu, please restart Steam
- In-game, on the main menu, you will see that the build is 2.6.6.0

How to opt-in & verify you're using the correct version on GOG:
- Please make sure you're using a clean (unmodded) install. Clear your override folder before testing the beta build
- In GOG Galaxy, select the Settings option for the game
- Select Manage installation
- Select Configure
- In Beta channels, select RoadTo2.6
- - If you don't see RoadTo2.6 in the drop down menu, please restart GOG Galaxy
- In-game, on the main menu, you will see that the build is 2.6.6.0

Join the Beta & Vote Below!

Testing Status:
8/10 Windows Players
2/3 Linux Players
0/3 macOS Players
  1. Is the Steam/GOG Baldur's Gate I/II & Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions 2.6.6 Patch Ready to Release?13 votes
    1. Windows | Yes, Release the patch!
      69.23%
    2. macOS | Yes, Release the patch!
        0.00%
    3. Linux | Yes, Release the patch!
        7.69%
    4. No, it's not ready! (Please explain)
      23.08%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
HafirGalactygonanastielBubbAllanon81ArviaAedansuyGusindaAaemforeverhook71ATigersClaw

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @argent77 Do you mean these issues are new for 2.6.6 (if compared to 2.6.5)? New for 2.6.X (if compared to 2.5)?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited May 2021
    Do you mean these issues are new for 2.6.6 (if compared to 2.6.5)? New for 2.6.X (if compared to 2.5)?

I've noticed them in my current test run with patch 2.6.5 (and cross-checked with 2.6.6). I don't remember if these issues are new or were already present in patch 2.5.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2021
    This issue doesn't appear to be completely fixed yet. The sound effect of clicking on checkboxes in the game options is still too loud.
    BaptorJuliusBorisov
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    You can check it on my gameplay, "TheHafir" channel on youtube.
  • suysuy Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2021
    Thanks for the update on GOG as well this time! I can't see it available myself. Could it be that it takes a bit to propagate worldwide, like it happened with the first stable 2.6, or it's only available on GOG Galaxy?

EDIT: I'm dumb, and I did not check the spoiler block, where only GOG Galaxy is mentioned. Seems that not for GOG+Linux yet. :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by suy on
  • GladiatorcatGladiatorcat Member Posts: 5
    Cannot finish SOD quest "Slime sickness" by killing elder myconid to get bloom sack. That dying mushroom died some time prior but no new enemies spawned and now when I'm back doing druids bidding nothing happens. Version 2.6. and 2.6.6. In addition, when killing bears in Dead Man's pass, no drops there, so cannot finish Lucky charm quest.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Cannot finish SOD quest "Slime sickness" by killing elder myconid to get bloom sack. That dying mushroom died some time prior but no new enemies spawned and now when I'm back doing druids bidding nothing happens. Version 2.6. and 2.6.6. In addition, when killing bears in Dead Man's pass, no drops there, so cannot finish Lucky charm quest.

We need saves before that so that we could understand what is happening there.
    argent77 wrote: »
    This issue doesn't appear to be completely fixed yet. The sound effect of clicking on checkboxes in the game options is still too loud.

2.6.6.0 fixes specific UI sounds that were mentioned on this forum after 2.6.5.0 had been released: the item description window in IWD:EE and the spell books in BG:EE and BGII:EE.
    Aaemforeverargent77Baptor
  • lurimaxlurimax Member Posts: 28
    Unfortunately can only vote once, but I have also tested on Linux and didn't notice any issues
    cha0z_JuliusBorisov
    There is another issue with the combat scripts of spirits summoned by the shamanic dance in BG2:EE (and to a lesser degree in IWD:EE) that has been introduced by patch 2.6. Detection of certain items (Heart of the Mountain, Circlet of Lost Souls) equipped by the shaman is currently blocked which renders them mostly useless.
    AaemforeverJuliusBorisov
    There is another issue with the combat scripts of spirits summoned by the shamanic dance in BG2:EE (and to a lesser degree in IWD:EE) that has been introduced by patch 2.6. Detection of certain items (Heart of the Mountain, Circlet of Lost Souls) equipped by the shaman is currently blocked which renders them mostly useless.

Thank you! There was a change to BDSHUNSU.BCS to fix the spirits' behavior when they got out of range of the summoner. Looks like this also causes the spirits to not check for those items immediately, but as soon as they enter combat the first time, they will check and will get their HP bonus. The script should probably be fixed so it happens immediately, but it seems like these items generally still work as intended.
    argent77
    edited May 2021

Thank you! There was a change to BDSHUNSU.BCS to fix the spirits' behavior when they got out of range of the summoner. Looks like this also causes the spirits to not check for those items immediately, but as soon as they enter combat the first time, they will check and will get their HP bonus. The script should probably be fixed so it happens immediately, but it seems like these items generally still work as intended.

Yeah, it's basically just a missing negation operator in the script. Another side effect of this issue is that spirits tightly cluster around the summoner (which becomes hilarious with spirits with big selection circles, because there will be an endless pushing and shoving the summoner all around the map).
    AaemforeverProontJuliusBorisov
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    edited May 2021
    Hello, I'm playing BGEE and wanted to try addressing the Tremain bug. I'm running from the Beamdog client (not GOG or Steam) and I selected Beta from the drop down menu. Installation hit a snag with OpenAL which it couldn't install. I downloaded and installed OpenAl (as recommended here ). I verified the game install from the Beamdog client and it passes. When I go to "Options" in game the version number number is still 2.6.5.0. The Tremain bug is not fixed (but I already started the quest before installing the beta). Any thoughts?

EDIT: I uninstalled and then tried to re-install the Beta. It seems to be stuck installing - it's taking forever...

EDIT2: restarted Beamdog launcher, verified game location (Beamdog Library\00764), launched BGEE. I think I'm too far along in quest for bug fix. Forced Tremain to budge a few inches and talked to him - he raised his boy and I can move on LOL.
    Post edited by FredSRichardson on
    @skusha Why did you vote No in the poll?

@FredSRichardson 2.6.6 beta is only available through GOG and Steam, not the Beamdog Client.
  • ThunderburpThunderburp Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2021
    Currently on GoG with 2.6.5.0 and I noticed it introduced an issue with the CTRL+M Debug Dump that didn't exist in BG2 2.5.16.6 or (most likely) in the BG1 2.5 equivalent.

When pressed with the mouse cursor over a mage that learned all spells, CTRL+M dumps information as it used to, but now all of the upper part of the dump is being erased from the log, so we can't access things like the Luck (with all modifiers) line and whatnot.

Not being a beta tester, I can't say which 2.6.x beta introduced the regression.
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465

@FredSRichardson 2.6.6 beta is only available through GOG and Steam, not the Beamdog Client.

Yikes.... why is that? Is the Beamdog client getting dropped or something?
  • skushaskusha Member Posts: 136
    I voted against it, because you still have not included in the 2.6 patch Russian translation of the SoD from arcanecoast.ru https://arcanecoast.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2189937#p2189937
    In my opinion this is a serious omission.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

The beta-testing is not available on the Client, but the patch will be available when it is released as stable.

JuliusBorisov
  • cha0z_cha0z_ Member Posts: 27
    skusha wrote: »
    I voted against it, because you still have not included in the 2.6 patch Russian translation of the SoD from arcanecoast.ru https://arcanecoast.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2189937#p2189937
    In my opinion this is a serious omission.
    This is literally childish behaviour + I never understood people that insist to play on their native language, I would prefer x10 the original English version and VO vs native. Translations ALWAYS lead to something lost during the process.
    AaemforeverATigersClaw
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited May 2021

The betas are being done through Steam in order to get them to the widest audience possible (the Beamdog Client has proportionally fewer users, though I am among that austere number since it allows me to avoid enabling multiarch on my laptop... when it works). When 2.6.X is ready for proper release it'll be available via the Beamdog Client as well.
    JuliusBorisov
  • royalprotectorroyalprotector Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2021
    Tremain's quest seems to be fixed, thankfully.

But...

I sure hope the bug with Simulacrums not being able to use Detect Traps/Illusions and Hide in Shadows is addressed too. It is a fairly serious bug, if you play with Thieves, Shadowdancers or Mage/Thieves. Like I do.
    Post edited by royalprotector on
  • ThunderburpThunderburp Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2021
    OFF TOPIC reply to a commenter -- Developers can ignore this post
    cha0z_ wrote: »
    This is literally childish behaviour + I never understood people that insist to play on their native language, I would prefer x10 the original English version and VO vs native. Translations ALWAYS lead to something lost during the process.
    I profusely disagree, you often gain something during the process. You've just been exposed to bad ones or something. I've often been exposed to translations that were a net improvement over the original.

As for being childish, aren't *we*? Who's being aggressive towards a person answering a developer question? It may be too late to include Russian in 2.6, but it's a pretty understandable concern to raise considering the delay between big patches. For example the whole reason I bought BGEE 2.6.5.0 is because it finally has French support, beta as it is.

Cutting visual clutter here; apologies.
    Post edited by Thunderburp on
    improbabile
  • cha0z_cha0z_ Member Posts: 27
    OFF TOPIC reply to a commenter -- Developers can ignore this post
    cha0z_ wrote: »
    I profusely disagree, you often gain something during the process. You've just been exposed to bad ones or something. I've often been exposed to translations that were a net improvement over the original.

As for being childish, aren't *we*? Who's being aggressive towards a person answering a developer question? It may be too late to include Russian in 2.6, but it's a pretty understandable concern to raise considering the delay between big patches. For example the whole reason I bought BGEE 2.6.5.0 is because it finally has French support, beta as it is.

Cutting visual clutter here; apologies.
    He literally answered with "not ready" in a thread about BUGS without providing any context why - yes, it's childish. There are other ways for a feature requests, I am sure that one is there and from that moment it's up to beamdog to include it/decide when to include it.

Going even more offtopic: It's not just about if it's a good/bad translation, it's the same for me as using an operating system on my native language - rofl, awful to say the least. Then again, I am a system administrator and basically using english daily from a small kid (but who isn't nowadays), I have no issues to listen/read at all and at that point I don't even think about it. I can understand why someone who is not that proficient (not that I am any good) can prefer his native language tho.
This discussion has been closed.