Skip to content

Merchants

For some reason I couldn't find a reference for this:

I was trying to figure out which merchants have the best sale prices in bg1ee. Well I swept through them all in NearInfinity and they all markup by 50% (150% of base value) with the sole exception of Black Lily who marks up sales by 100% (200% of base value). She also has 10 Potions of Mastery Thievery.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    that is correct, every single store in bg1 will give you the same amount for an item no matter who you go to ( unless that store already has it, then you will get a depreciated cost )

so its not so much looking for the best mark up store, but who has the lowest appreciation and who has the lowest inventory that will buy the most stuff

but realistically in BG1 you shouldn't have to worry about money, in my gold piece runs i usually hit around 660 000 gold plus

and even in fact, i just had a run where i NEVER sold a SINGLE item to a store ( only traded in bandit scalps, ankheg shells and winter wolf pelts but nothing else ) and i even bought the claw of kazgaroth and both arch magi robes and some potions and ammunition and i still ended up with more than 100 000 gold by the end of BG1
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Yeah, I was actually worried about who would have the best price for recharging items - turns out the only merchant to avoid is Black Lily! It gets a bit more complicated in SoD...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Yeah, I was actually worried about who would have the best price for recharging items - turns out the only merchant to avoid is Black Lily! It gets a bit more complicated in SoD...

the thing about black lily though is she holds 2 of the rarest potions in the game; potion of power, and potion of magic shielding

in all of bg1 there are only 3 potions of power, and 6 potions of magic shielding, which are potions that i use for the final boss battle in bg1, so unfortunately it's necessary to spend some dough on for the 1 copy that she has each

but to be honest, by this time in the game money should be spilling out of your pockets, so it shouldn't be too much a burden
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    I thought that some of the carnival tents would give you higher than normal rates?
  • The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    The merchants in the Nashkel Carnival tents do behave a little differently in some respects, but not in terms of the buy/sell price. Off the top off my head, one of the merchants identifies cheaply, and one of the merchants has a very low rate of depreciation. The last time I checked, the info here is still valid:

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm

(just do CTRLF for "businesses" and check the table there)
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Yeah, the carnival merchants have lower prices to identify but they also are extremely limited in what they can identify... At least that is the problem I ran into.

@sarevok57 - Yes, Black Lily has some outstanding potion options! I've been avoiding all of the magic blocking and magic resist potions and scrolls the last few play throughs, but mainly because my party has gotten pretty uber. The one thing I did use in SoD was a scroll of undead protection I had imported from BG1. There was a particular area that was really useful in early on.