Skip to content

"Important Events" Quest Entries - Are these new to EE?

I'm aware that BG:EE changed the way that the journal system worked, so I believe that getting any entry filed in a Quests tab and under a Quest Heading is new, but that isn't what my question is about.

What I'm wondering is whether the text of the Important Events is also new to BG:EE - in other words, were these entries written specifically for BG:EE?

I did play BG1 back in the day, but I no longer have access to it to check for myself. Thanks in advance if any old hands can clarify this for me.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    they've been around for a while for BG EE

although this was definitely not the cause with vanilla BG1
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    In vanilla bg, anything was logged into the journal sorted by date. Important events were also logged to some degree.
    But finding back what you wanted to know... That was always tough.
  • The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2021
    Sorry, I forgot to say thanks for the replies. That said, there has been a bit of a misunderstanding. I agree with Iroumen that the quest titles and quest groups are an improvement. And I understand, as sarevok57 says, that they are not a relatively new addition to BG:EE (I believe BG:EE had them from the outset).

What I am asking is whether the TEXT in the Important Events entries was WRITTEN FOR BG:EE, or whether it already existed as part of BG1, albeit just filed into the only journal section that existed at the time.

Here's an example to further illustrate my point. There are a couple of script blocks relating to the death of Tranzig or the player picking up Tranzig's letter. These script blocks result in the following quest entry filed under the Important Events quest title:

(#31449)
    The Bandits
    I should travel to Larswood or Peldvale next. It appears that the bandit attacks come from there and are related to the iron shortage. There should be a base hidden away somewhere in the forests.

But Chapter 3 has a quest group filed under the title "Tazok and the Bandits". Below is one of the entries in this group that isn't actually used by the game. As you can see, it has the same purpose as the above entry in the Important Events group, but it is written a little differently.

(#27492)
    Tazok and the Bandits
    After dealing with Tranzig, I learned where I might find Tazok. He was supposed to meet Tranzig in Peldvale or Larswood, both just east of the Friendly Arm Inn.

For this reason, among others, it looks like the Important Events were written for BG:EE. Can anybody confirm or refute that, please?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I don't remember those from Bg1, so tentatively I think you are right.
  • The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    Cheers again, Iroumen.