Skip to content

New builder seeking the light

MorganZMorganZ Member Posts: 17
Hello! I'm pretty new with the toolset and i was wondering how do you add more categories to the "painter" on the right side. The main reason for this request is because i would like to create new categories for my custom equip and call those with names i can understand like: custom weapons X, custom weapons Y. I'm sure you know what i'm talking about!

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    edited June 2021
    Might be too much to ask of something that was designed about 20 years ago. However, we did get tabs for the area view added with EE, so there is hope.

Short answer: The categories are hard coded.

Maybe you can add some by modifying a 2da file, but I don't know what one that would be and I don't know that the toolset even checks 2da files for such things.
    Post edited by ForSerious on
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    You can make a custom palette by editing the .itp file with a GFF editor.

I did this in my Dark Energy module, for example.

GFF files may seem daunting at first, but for dedicated modders they're worth understanding because NWN holds all the components of a module in GFF format.

It pays to fix the categories in advance. If you plan to use CEP, use the CEP custom palette .itp as your starting point. It is possible to add more categories later, but it can be a pain. Once you've assigned templates to categories, re-categorising them all is tedious (even with power tools like moneo).

For smaller modules I find it simpler to use the built-in custom special 1-5 categories and the CEP Module Specific category.
  • MorganZMorganZ Member Posts: 17
    Thanks guys! You will end up laughing but i tought it was just a matter of finding the right way to drag or press some keys combinations to allow right click-->new category. I guess i'm not ready to get into this kind of hardcoded changings
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    Well, strictly speaking, soft-coded, but your point is well-made.