Skip to content

Help me pick a class, bg1-2

CasepassCasepass Member Posts: 19
edited June 2021 in Role Playing
Hello fellow rpg nerds.

I want to try a playthrough where I play the stats the real me have.
I have tried all d&d stat test I could find to try and figure out what stats I would have if I was teleported to Faerun.

Stats the tests gave me was:
STR: 13 (15*)
DEX: 14 (15*)
CON: 12 (15*)
INT: 14
WIS: 17
CHR: 14
Total score of 84 (90*)and I was both suprised and "proud" of those stats.
(* calculated imperial units to metric units wrong in my head during the tests numbers within ( ) are the number I will use)

Tomes I think is allowed to use.
The physical ones could represent the harder conditions train my body, INT maybe I have to use my mind to survive alot more and that boosts it some, many WIS increasings Candlekeep - TOB could represent the experiences, decitions et al gained along the way and CHR maybe cause I meet alot of people and learn to interact with new types of folks and races.

STR, DEX and CON is a little low for a warrior type.
DEX a little low for a rouge.
INT not really high enough for a wizard.
WIS high enough for a decent cleric/druid.
CHR not really high enough for a charmig bard.

I know you can beat the game with low stats.
I would like you guys opinion of which professions I would be most suitable for me, which I would do okey as, which I would not be good as and which I would be strait out bad at.

All inputs are appreciated.
Post edited by Casepass on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well lets put it this way;

if you were teleported into the world of BG and BG 2 what would you be?

would you actually have the courage of being a front liner, getting into the thick of things, getting sliced and diced up in combat?

or would you be more of a back liner, staying away from being chopped into cord wood from scary baddies?

so i think you should base your decision on what you would actually be as apposed to what class matches your stats best,

although stat wise, i would say sorcerer is best, once you hit 18 WIS everything else could literally be 3 and you would still be basically kicking just as much butt as apposed to having all 18s basically
    CasepassAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • CasepassCasepass Member Posts: 19
    17 years in the army, former muay thai fighter.
    Courage to be in the front line I do have. But my skills with medieval weaponry is low. I know which end to point at de enemy but have never tried to fight with such weapons.
    Can't say I have any expierience in using magic, draw power from nature or praying for spells.
    I am a good marksman, but no former expierience with bow or crossbow.

Military service, hunting as one of my interests so I guess I am quiet in the woods, can sneak and stalk.

Ranger would be the class I have the most expierience as.
    But over all I need to get educated to a class.
    Hence the question of the class my stats, and thank you for pointing it out, my former skills I might be best suited for.
    Thing is I have a unrealistic view.
    Not only do I have a wish to be a class that is most suited for the real me, I alsow have a wish for a class possible and logical coming from Candlekeep raised by Gorion.

Monk, the class, for me is out since I don't see how the PC could have aquired the training for that.

No need for a OP character, my stats are not OP and I will go with those.

Ranger/cleric is interesting, but how logical is a bhaalspawn cleric? Who among the good gods will grant power to a formal enemys child? When they know that child could potentially become a new god of murder.
    I say good because of the ranger part.
    My irl alignment is NG, boring but that it is what it is and my character will have NG.

I intend to make decitions based on what I would have done. I will name some to give you a idea of what kind of character I am looking for:
    Know my enemies weakness before striking if possible. Taking them out from a distance before they know I was there (I am a active military sharpshooter). No stealing. Honor my given word. Be polite to people. Protect my friends (party). Protect those who can't protect themselves. No lying. Help people in need. No giving money to beggars, by them food or clothes yes but not give them money.

I suffer from severe rerolleritice and have tried to find a character I can relate to, hence me asking for guidance from the wise and expierienced people here.
    Physical stats was hard to pinpoint. I am stronger, faster, higher reflexes and more stamina/endurace than avarage Joe, but I am not a olympic athlete.
    If 9-11 is avarage I don't see it as unrealistic if I have 13 STR when a olympic athlete powerlifter is 18, even if I think it is a bit low, maybe 14 since I see myself as somewhere inbetween strong man athletes and Bob next door.
    14 DEX, okej maybe, but DEX alsow determine accuracy and I as a sharpshooter is in the top 5% of the population considering accuracy.
    CON at 12 I was really suprised that it was that low. We train for weeks out in the wilderness, I seldom get drunk I can run a marathon, not top time but I can finish it.

INT, well iq 118, so seams right.
    WIS 17, I have lived for a while, tried lots of things, can judge people, figure stuff out et cetera, yeah it is possible it is that high.
    CHR 14 I am likebly, popular by the opposite sex and social, spot on.

Could my former physical stats be to low to represent my own physical abilities?
  • KatzerchenKatzerchen Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2021
    "Taking them out from a distance before they know I was there"

"No stealing. Honor my given word. Be polite to people. Protect my friends (party). Protect those who can't protect themselves. No lying. Help people in need. No giving money to beggars, by them food or clothes yes but not give them money."

Sounds like a lawful good archer to me or maybe a stalker.
    You would have to live with a CON of 14 instead of 12, but that shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Now could the Bhaalspawn have learned using a bow in Candlekeep?
    Maybe... in our world, the bow was a very common weapon and used by common people.
    There also is a minor NPC who shoots at you for practice.

Casepass
    Archer is logical.
    As you said there are archers in Candlekeep, and if the keep is asulted archers are needed on the walls.

Did 2 tests again, despite my INT at 14 had trouble with imperial units to metric in my head.
    The stats of the new and improved Casepass;
    STR: 15
    DEX: 15
    CON: 15
    INT: 14
    WIS: 17
    CHR: 14
    Total: 90, high but not impossible to roll.

After tomes;
    STR: 16
    DEX: 16
    CON: 16
    INT: 15
    WIS: 20
    CHR: 15
    Total: 98

A pretty decent character. Now I just have to find a class that suits both as a representation of me and a roleplay friendly class considering in game background.

Ranger/cleric seams nice. But need help to justify a good aligned bhaalspawn cleric.

Archer, yeah why not. I am basically a archer in real life.
    KatzerchenAerakarJuliusBorisov
    Katzerchen wrote: »

Sounds like a lawful good archer to me or maybe a stalker.

Stalker might actually be perfect from a roleplay point of view.
    Get some arcane spells, influence/teaching from Gorion.
    Start with one pip in shortbow (archer kit aspirant) and one in quarterstaff (chosen weapon of the watchers and your starting weapon "Have you bought your staff, Charname?")
    Sneaking around with Imoen, maybe the one who taught Imoen to sneak around, her cleptomaniac side turned her more rouge.
    Not a rangery background growing up within the keep. But foster father dead, traveling mostly outdoors in bg1 meeting Kivan, Minsc and Jaheira along the way charname become a ranger during bg1.

Maybe I keeper in the arcane spells from the avanger kit (up til 3 level) to further strenghten the Gorions ward part of the PC.

A PC with stats of 15,15,15,14,17,14 is overall high stats but no way near min/max or OP.

Would it be to much cheating to add the avanger arcane spells to a stalker or does it work out as good as in my mind from a RP point of view?
    Katzerchen
  • McGollumMcGollum Member Posts: 22
    Generic: Play a bard, paladin, or cleric. Why? You will benefit from Charisma & Intelligence in dialogue options (and maybe romances), you will have to face fighting, and you also benefit from some magic.

With the stats aka attribute rolls you presented... Dunno, Monk was once among my favorite classes (actually Druidic Avenger, which is Monk-Druid mix). But in the BG saga monk makes not much sense. Until you enjoy following a walkthru to get the perfect gear instead of playing your choices.
    McGollum wrote: »
    Generic: Play a bard, paladin, or cleric. Why? You will benefit from Charisma & Intelligence in dialogue options (and maybe romances), you will have to face fighting, and you also benefit from some magic.

With the stats aka attribute rolls you presented... Dunno, Monk was once among my favorite classes (actually Druidic Avenger, which is Monk-Druid mix). But in the BG saga monk makes not much sense. Until you enjoy following a walkthru to get the perfect gear instead of playing your choices.

My stalker was killed by Minsc after the old friend was dominated by Dragomir at the first quest after arriving to Amn, game over.

Tempted to give it another go.
    Paladin; don't really see how that background is possible raised in Candlekeep by Gorion.

Bard; perfect fit roleplay wise.

Cleric; yeah might work,
    McGollum
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well, there's at least one temple in Candlekeep. That alone would make Paladin training a possibility.
    Aerakar
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Well, there's at least one temple in Candlekeep. That alone would make Paladin training a possibility.

Does Oghma have paladin devotees?
    Casepass wrote: »

Does Oghma have paladin devotees?

Pretty sure every god in Faerun has holy knights. Deneir is also probably venerated in Candlekeep alongside Ohgma. So two choices there.
    Aerakar
  • McGollumMcGollum Member Posts: 22
    Casepass wrote: »
    [quote="My stalker was killed by Minsc after the old friend was dominated by Dragomir at the first quest after arriving to Amn, game over.

Tempted to give it another go.
    Paladin; don't really see how that background is possible raised in Candlekeep by Gorion.

Bard; perfect fit roleplay wise.

Cleric; yeah might work,

Oh, stalker is a wonderful class. In storytelling I would gladly play one again (did so in BG - SoD).

My Shadowdancer, Villainy, failed, coz she was (Str 14, Dex 18, Con 16) not tough enough for the fights...

Bard, unchanged, has every wizard benefit plus the roguish benefits, powerclass & wears the stylish hood, which only rogue & bard class get!

Aerakar
    edited October 2021
    Since my stalker run ended prematurely I have decided to roll a shaman.
    Know the wild, wildlife and all that.
    Using my stats of 15,15,15,14,17,14.
    To be more of the inspiring leader a shaman naturally are I will take 1 point from WIS to CHA.
    To represent my sniper ability I will move 2 points from WIS to DEX ending up with 15,17,15,14,14,15.
    After tomes he will start bg2 with 16,18,16, 15,17,16.

Figure that a bhaalspawn would have an easier time to communicate with the spirits of the dead if given training.

The goblin shaman in SOD will be roleplayed as a mentor that teaches my PC more about the ways of the shaman.

Will keeper in the avanger spells (Gorion's ward) bit OP here, but high WIS is totaly wasted on a shaman.

Decent stats for a shaman and hopefully the 6 "arcane" spells wont make it to OP.
    Aerakar
    Shaman are a LOT of fun.
    CasepassAerakar
    edited October 2021
    Shaman are a LOT of fun.

Yeah they seems to be.
    The bow fits with the marksman part.
    The "nature-class" fits with the outdoors lifestyle.
    The communicating with spirits fits (to me) with the bhaalspawn part, and I honor my sami heritage (several of my IRL female ancestors was samic "shamans")
    Its not a OP class but seems to be a natural leader, fits good.
    With the avanger wizard spells I think I checked all boxes of my desire for a fitting class.
    Grond0ThacoBell
    Shaman are a LOT of fun.

2 game days later and I agree whole hearthedly, shaman is a lot of fun.
    I am using the "walk slowly while dancing"-mod and my guardians have not let me down so far.

Some house rules:
    As Yoshimo is even a bigger cleptomaniac than Imoen (hinted not the least by Renald) some stealing is allowed. Evil people fences and search during missions are fair game. No fence expliot only things a party member will use.
    Some meta with Bernard, when it was clear he worked for a slaver Yoshimo stole potions, arrows and scrolls from him (gone anyway after Hendak is freed).

Death gives room to life. Undeath mess up with this balance so undead creatures are killed on sight and actively searched for. Hexxat was not given a chance to claim her case after Clara was killed, missed out on a early bag of holdings but undeath most be exterminated.

A job is a job and as long as no evil acts is needed I accept employment from evil people. Shadow thieves comes to mind. I have not done Korgans quest yet, but he wants to go in to crypts. Well there might be undeads there, lets go dwarf but I warn you, bad mouth that beautiful fragile elf girl once and you will meet your doom.

I was truly amazed by Irenicus powers and know I could not possibly stand against him unless I grow in power and I need good gear.
    Also as a good person I want to aid those unable to fend for themselves and in my mind (chapter 2 still) Imoen is in no immediate dangers. So there is time to learn more, get good stuff, assamble funds, aid the poor souls in Amn and purge the land from undeath.
    As I really don't want to work with the thieves I justify the quests in chapter 2 as trying to be aided by any other organization I take jobs from to get my friend back.

Tried to be taken myself by the cowled ones by using magic, but they fought me instead of imprisoning me. And took Imoen without fighting her. What corrupt agency is this?

Rolling with the canon party from bg1, with our mage killed and Minsc pumped to have Aerie as his new witch and my human shaman slowly starting to fall for her she will be the fifth member of our group. Both Minsc and me believing the best way to protect this elven "teen" is by having her close.

Sixth slot is rotated as we take their missions. As Nalia did not seem bothered by us taking what the keep supplied as we helped her with the troll infestion, the stuff belonging to now dead people was additional payment and she tought it might help us in our endeavour to aid the less fortunate.
    Sadly she was imprisoned by her former fiancé, yes we will try to free her in time. But the corruptness that is Amn have already showed its ugly face. When we got to the government to plead our case the cowled ones wanted us to capture a murderer, and promised to help us with Imoen. His tracks leading to the Umar hills, a place both Minsc and Jaheira wants to go to. Well one damsel in distress at a time, Nalia have to wait as this might lead to Imoen.
    ArviaZaghoulAerakar