Skip to content

What format do the raw files generally convert to?

ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
Back story: Many of the sounds in the third and second expansion are ultra loud. I extracted them and intend to turn the volume down and drop them in my override folder.

I have done this before on my laptop, but I can't for the life of me, remember what wav format to open them in.

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,270
    edited June 2021
    A decent tool like Audacity will open any .wav file. As with all customisation, it pays to change the format as little as possible, but, according to my notes, the only really important thing is to ensure the edited version is still mono. The Custom Content Guide recommends "something like 44KHz 16-bit mono".

P.S. If you mean music files, these are .bmu, which are essentially .mp3 files with a header. IIRC renaming them as .mp3 works fine.
    ForSerious
  • ZephiriusZephirius Member Posts: 411
    Yep. Audacity works really well.
    Everything Proleric said is correct.

I say this because I've made several effects sounds. as of late. It's good enough for the old man...
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    The sounds I'm talking about are like a harpy getting hurt or a gem golem getting hit.

The sound files are in raw format, so even Audacity needs to know what parameters to open them with. I do seem to remember them being mono, so that cuts out a lot of the options. That still leaves me needing to try all the options from 8kHz to 44.1kHz. I'm going to guess they're 16 bit, but they could be less.
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    edited June 2021
    Audacity wouldn't leave my sound card settings alone when I tried it, so it got banned super fast from my computer. (I guess it lives up to it's name.)
    I've been using the Creative WaveStudio since Windows 98 and started using GoldWave a few years back. Both of those actually do a really go job of detecting what the raw format is, if it's actually supposed to be a wav file.
    A bunch of them are BMU files though. So if it doesn't open, I have to rename the extension to mp3. If it's not either of those two, I'll assume it's a picture or something else that's not a sound file.
    Opening the file in a text editor shows the BMU tag.
    Post edited by ForSerious on