Skip to content

NWN:EE won't launch

carnalcanuckcarnalcanuck Member Posts: 5
edited March 2018 in Technical Support
Just downloaded the game and was excited to play and now I can't get it to launch.

When I try to run any of the files through steam I just get a "We just crashed hard :(" message, nothing opens and the game doesn't seem to load at all.

I haven't been able to find much in the way of support so other than restarting my computer and verifying the game files I'm not sure what to try to get it to run. I've also tried opening it on my monitor as well as my stock laptop screen but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Here is the log file for the crash.

=== Props
target = nwmain
time = 1522187043
exception = c0000005
g_sBuildNumber = 8166
g_sVersionNumber = 1, 0, 0, 0
&GenericCrashHandler = 0160D2E0
=== Backtrace
0160DA56
0160D5BF
0160DA0B
585525AF
771037E1
770C4A47
=== Minidump
Minidump file has been written to C:\Users\Jacob\Documents\Neverwinter Nights/nwmain-crash-1522187043.dmp.
=== End

Comments

• chaine_mailechaine_maile Member Posts: 3
    Having the exact same issue. Really looked forward to this launch too. Reported my problem as a "New Issue" to Beamdog along with attached DMP file.

If you get it working, be sure to let us all know what you did.
  • SnottlingSnottling Member Posts: 85
    Try downloading OpenAL: http://www.beamdog.com/files/prerequisites/oalinst.exe
    That should get it going. :)
  • carnalcanuckcarnalcanuck Member Posts: 5
    I've tried that too :S didn't seem to help
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Hello!
    Does this instruction help you: https://beamdog.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206729933-Windows-My-Game-Won-t-Launch-Or-Is-Crashing-On-Launch ?

If it doesn't help, please, file a bug on support.baldursgate.com - our dedicated bug tracker - and the Team will be able to help you.
    I tried that as well, still having the same issue.

I filed a report last night, still waiting on a response.
    edited March 2018
    I've still yet to get any real information back, I'd really like to play the game I bought 2 days ago, or at least get some update that my issue is being worked on or something I can do to try and fix it.

This is becoming very frustrating.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Can you provide your bug number? Is it https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/36181?
  • raharaha Member Posts: 2
    i have the same issue with launching the game through steam. Hit play and it does nothing
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    On steam when you hit play, a box should appear for you to select the game, dm client or toolset to launch.

• raharaha Member Posts: 2
    yeah and then it does nothing no matter which you click
    Yes, that window with the three options opens. No matter what option gets selected and clicked a "We just crashed hard :(" message pops up, and it asks for a bug report.

So far I've followed every step in the FAQ. I've made sure my files were verified. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I've made certain my .Net framework was up to date. I've checked that I had the correct DirectX and OpenAL. I've checked color settings. I've made certain my Nvidia drivers are current. I've done restarts, and more uninstalls and reinstalls.

Every time, same error message. I've bug reported, and posted DMP and log files. If this persists, I'll simply have to refund through Steam. As much as I love the project and NWN, I can't pay for something completely unable to initially launch.
    edited April 2018
    Raha or CarnalCanuck, have you had any luck yet getting the game to launch? I've had absolutely no break throughs yet.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    My wife had this issue. I re-installed OpenAL from the link, but I think what actually fixed it for her was to explore to the User installation of Neverwinter Nights and delete the file "nwn.ini". When the game launches, it will recreate that file.

Nothing to lose by trying it.

Good luck

-JFK
  • WavestepWavestep Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2021
    Found a new solution.

I tried it all openal, vc++, rename .exe, reinstalling the game etc etc..

I noticed that windows 10 automatically fucks with your documents folder (amongst other folders) if you have onedrive installed. Which ironically comes preinstalled with windows 10. Basically the .exe doesn't seem to know how to handle the onedrive path so it does not create the requiered files @ startup.

The regular filepath for Documents is: C:\Users\your-user\Documents

With oneDrive it becomes: C:\Users\your-user\OneDrive\Documents

For some reason i didn't have the regular documents path on my system, might be because I did a faulty? uninstall of onedrive a while back. I don't know, eitherway I just reinstalled one drive and now it's working.

To summarize; OneDrive is a piece of shit software that have wasted hours of my life. Thanks a lot Bill

Also, sorry for necro but this is the first beamdog page that popsup when googling the issue.