Skip to content

BG1EE sprites/assets in BG2EE (In particular Hephernaan from SoD)?

Hi Guys,

So i've been playing through BG1EE and decided to use EEKeeper in a non-cheaty way and found the perfect sprite for my character: It was Hephernaan from Siege of Dragonspear...this was PERFECT for my character as he has a priest look and cool idle animation. When I originally set my character up in EEKeeper I (seemingly incorrectly) believed that unlike the old version of BG1&2 that the EE versions shared assets as in EEKeeper I could see BG2 related characters in the appearance tab among other assets that are certainly not in the original BG.

However on import I learned that for some reason this isn't the case as my sprite defaulted to a monster looking one and Hephernaan was no longer available in the appearance drop down.

I guess my question is, since at least the engine is the same, is there any simple way of porting over that particular sprite from BG1EE to play in the sequel?

Thanks for any assistance!

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    is there a simple way; not really....?

if you know your way around near infinity you can do it that way, although im not 100% sure if NI is compatible with SoD yet, i think heard that it may have been updated for it but not sure

anyway, if NI did work you would have to export all the hephernaan animation bams and then put them in the over ride folder and then you would have to do some fiddling around with .ids and .2da files to get them to show up properly

i've done this with importing iwd2 sprites into iwd1

its one of those things where if you know what you are doing its not too bad, but if not it can be kind of crazy, unless someone else knows an easier way
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    SoD is fully supported by Near Infinity since its release in 2016.

However, I wouldn't advice to use Hephernan's character sprite for a playable character. It is too restricted in several ways, because
    - Animation has limited number of directions which makes moving the character looking awkward.
    - Animation doesn't contain a proper death sequence, so it might cause issues if the character dies.
    - Animation doesn't provide armor, shield or weapon overlays. Instead it will always show the original robe animation and a mace (or whatever it is) for attacking, even if you equip a sword, bow or quarterstaff.
    - There is no paperdoll in the inventory screen.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Forget Hephernaan - Could Caelar Argent's character sprite be turned into a playable character? I mean, Sarevok got glowing yellow eyes, why can't my PC have glowing blue ones?
  • RekunaRekuna Member Posts: 4
    I know this was a while back now, but the solution was just to install EET, which while awesome on its own also merges everything into one big game, Hephernaan included.
    argent77 wrote: »
    However, I wouldn't advice to use Hephernan's character sprite for a playable character. It is too restricted in several ways, because
    - Animation has limited number of directions which makes moving the character looking awkward.
    - Animation doesn't contain a proper death sequence, so it might cause issues if the character dies.
    - Animation doesn't provide armor, shield or weapon overlays. Instead it will always show the original robe animation and a mace (or whatever it is) for attacking, even if you equip a sword, bow or quarterstaff.
    - There is no paperdoll in the inventory screen.

Every single one of those is true, but I just love his look so I lived with it. Really all my mage uses is a robe and staff, his movement is actually okay and he has a reasonable amount of animations as he does battle you once in the game. Only one that looks odd that you correctly pointed out is the lack of death/KO animation which I just headcannon as me dying on my feet haha (which works with the death cutscene anyway)