Skip to content

Adjusting Party Walking Speed

Is there a way to do this? I think I remember it having to do with the baldur.ini file

Comments

• ShadowBlazeShadowBlaze Member Posts: 41
    edited July 2021
    Yep, go to your documents and look for the BGEE/BG2EE folder. You will find Baldur.LUA file which can be edited with a notepad.

Check for this line -
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Maximum Frame Rate','30')

And change the 30 to 45/60. Depending on how fast you want the game to be. I am used to 60 FPS, but I use almost all the auto pause options. You can set it to 45 if you find 60 too fast in battles.

Another QoL hack is add this option - SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')

You can then use Ctrl+J to teleport around the map. Useful if you have explored the area and are just looking to go from one end to the other asap.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    also remember that increasing frame rate also decreases the durations of spells and timed events, so for example; if you play at frame rate 60, 1 round will be 3 seconds, while at frame rate 45, 1 round will be 4.5 seconds
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    also remember that increasing frame rate also decreases the durations of spells and timed events, so for example; if you play at frame rate 60, 1 round will be 3 seconds, while at frame rate 45, 1 round will be 4.5 seconds
    Yes, with that option you are basically playing the game in fast forward mode because everything is sped up (spell projectiles, attack speed, spell duration, limit of timed quests, etc.).

If you just want to change the movement speed of your party members then you can take a look at the Tweaks Anthology mod.
    It provides an option to simulate the (slower) original BG1 movement speed (component "Use BG Walking Speeds") and another option that automatically increases movement speed outside of combat (component "Increased party movement speed outside combat"). See readme for more details.

Alternatively, if you don't mind cheating, you can use the game's debug console or a savegame editor to create a bunch of Boots of Speed. The console code is C:CreateItem("BOOT01") .