Skip to content

de'Arnise Romance - the music

AsaBMAsaBM Member Posts: 84
edited July 2021 in BGII:EE Mods
I'd been wanting to try out JCompton and Kulyok's "de'Arnise Romance" mod for a while, as Nalia was one of my favorite characters on my original unmodded run last year (I'm new). Finally got around to starting it.

Um.

Holy crap, the music is so bad. It's way too loud, nowhere near atmospheric enough (more foreground music than background music), and (in my opinion) doesn't fit Nalia particularly well. Fortunately, it looks like the file is just an .OGG, so changing it would be pretty easy for any fool with Audacity (source: a fool with Audacity).

So folks, do you have any suggestions for replacements? My mind initially went to Quiet's Theme from MGSV, but on listening again I think it's a bit too sappy. Should be something slow/mellow, ideally orchestral instruments so it doesn't stand out of the usual OST too much. Maybe I'll bring over something from IWD...

Comments

• AsaBMAsaBM Member Posts: 84
    Using "Kuldahar" from IWD for now.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I agree it's a bit jarring compared to the other romance tracks, but I thought the Renaissance lute style suited Nalia rather well.

How about an instrumental rendition of Douce Dame Jolie ?

At least there won't be any license issues with a 500 year old song. ;)
    edited July 2021
    Isewein wrote: »
    I agree it's a bit jarring compared to the other romance tracks, but I thought the Renaissance lute style suited Nalia rather well.

How about an instrumental rendition of Douce Dame Jolie ?

At least there won't be any license issues with a 500 year old song. ;)

Renaissance lute? Did we hear the same song? It sounded much more to me like a modern acoustic guitar, but then I am no music expert.

Douce Dame Jolie is pretty good. It definitely fits Amn nobility as seen in BG2, though I still find it a bit too "intense" as opposed to, say, Viconia's romance theme ("Romance 2" in the OST), a very relaxed rendition of the game's main theme with a slow buildup. DDJ is definitely better than the mod's included song though.

Pillars of Eternity has good BGesque music too...I should comb over that soundtrack as well.
    My issue with the renaissance/medieval style is that, although it is thematically appropriate, most of the game has a much more orchetsral, almost cinematic sound to it.
    edited July 2021
    OK, replacing the OGG did NOT work! I have no idea what I'm doing.

If any experienced modder sees this, can you give me a nudge in the right direction? How do I replace music used by an existing mod (client-side, obviously)? I am happy to do the work myself, but I don't know where to start. Should I use NearInfinity? Can I do it in Windows Explorer?

@Isewein, you seem pretty active and you've been very helpful to me a couple times in the past. Do you have any pointers here?
    Hm I *think* I remember something about EE needing .wav rather than .ogg files?
    Isewein wrote: »
    Hm I *think* I remember something about EE needing .wav rather than .ogg files?

Alright, I did some extra digging and found a WAV of the same name in the override folder. Replacing that did the trick. I wonder why the mod would have two?

Anyway, thanks.
    Because vanilla BG would need an .ogg file and the mod maintains compatibility with both, is my best guess.
    OK, that makes sense.