Skip to content

Skill vs. stat checks in dialogue.

Are all the major (or "best") dialogue skill checks covered by the "talky" skills, or is there a point to raise some of the stats to get some nifty bonus dialogue?

I mean, do I get something good for having a Charisma, Intelligence or whatever score of, say, 18, or would I be better off plugging those stat points into something else?

How well off would I be simply focusing on Bluff, Intimidate and Persuasion for dialogue? Would I have all the bases covered or roughly all?

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
    IIRC most of the conversation checks in the OC are based on skill rather than ability.

During a Rogue playthrough, I found Persuade especially useful, as you can often negotiate larger rewards. Bluff and Intimidate are handy, too.

Abilities are important for many other purposes, of course.

Fan-made modules vary - for example, Charisma is a must for ADWR.
  • SolmageSolmage Member Posts: 31
    If I recall correctly there are a few instances in the expansions which the stat value does open up additional dialogue options, and while it’s rewarding to pat yourself on the back to get them I don’t think they are ever particularly significant. For example, at the start of Shadows of Undretide, if you have a wisdom of 14 or more you can tell Mischa that master Drogan wanted her to learn compassion when he asked her to rescue the goblin child. Otherwise you and everyone else just shrugs and says ‘I guess there’s a deeper lesson to be learned somewhere” or something to that effect. But it doesn’t change the outcome at all, you don’t get any extra anything. Just fluffy fluff that makes you feel wise XD

In the same vein, if you are intelligent (or a Ranger or Druid) you recognize the tracks in the snow. You also get a bonus to spot the hidden tracks of the Shadow Heart if you’re a ranger, Druid or high intelligence. (It was believed that it was based on spot but someone looked at the code, it’s just based on intelligence and class)

I think if you’re charismatic enough you can shamelessly flirt with the mayor’s assistant who promises you a night you’ll never forget when you’re through all this. Sadly it never gets to that lol.

Those are the ones I recall off-hand, but as you can see they aren’t earth shaking. Still fun to have though. I try to give my sorcerer 14 int (also for improved expertise which rocks :) ) for skill points and to not be stupid and 14 wis for saving throws and to …not be stupid. Lol.

But if I’m making a specialized build, such as a melee wizard, yeah he’s going to end up either a smart idiot (wis 8) or un ugly forgettable guy (cha 8) or possibly both. Lol. And it’ll be ok.

In fact.. I think I’ll start a SoU play through right now with a melee wizard, hmm.,. choices choices!

14/10/14, 16 int and a 14 in either wis or cha, or 18 int and an 8 in both. Hmmmm. Hard to choose lol! Ah well I guess I’m too vain to play an 8 cha guy, heh.
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    It's a shame Bioware didn't give more opportunities for skill usage.
    Under certain conditions there should be options.

I tried out intimidate and bluff but Persuade just has more options available and sometimes you get a chance for better rewards.

It would be nice if in certain dialogues when your about to fight you have an option depending on you character to start the battle with a disarm attempt or bluff & intimidate to get the upper hand in the opening round.
  • Shia_LuckShia_Luck Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2021
    Solmage wrote: »
    In the same vein, if you are intelligent (or a Ranger or Druid) you recognize the tracks in the snow. You also get a bonus to spot the hidden tracks of the Shadow Heart if you’re a ranger, Druid or high intelligence. (It was believed that it was based on spot but someone looked at the code, it’s just based on intelligence and class){/Quote]
    Oh I don't like that choice surely it should be search or ok, maybe spot...
    Solmage wrote: »
    I try to give my sorcerer 14 int (also for improved expertise which rocks :) ) for skill points and to not be stupid and 14 wis for saving throws and to …not be stupid. Lol.

But if I’m making a specialized build, such as a melee wizard, yeah he’s going to end up either a smart idiot (wis 8) or un ugly forgettable guy (cha 8) or possibly both. Lol. And it’ll be ok.

Yeh, you need a dump stat.... my sorcerers are never wise .. FIREBALL ! *grin* (If anyone has not seen the web series "1 for all" on youtube, look it up *grin*) .

I
    Cerabelus wrote: »
    It's a shame Bioware didn't give more opportunities for skill usage.
    Under certain conditions there should be options.....
    It would be nice if in certain dialogues when your about to fight you have an option depending on you character to start the battle with a disarm attempt or bluff & intimidate to get the upper hand in the opening round.
    That would be very nice I agree, but you would only find that that in community modules who could script it. Not an easy task I think. Bluff and intimidate only came into NWN later so persuade is the one to invest in normally unless playing a community module that cares about those types of choices. The new ADWR might do but have not played it through yet myself ,,, but it is the most ikely , IMHO.

Have fun :)