Skip to content

Question: Is there a way I can choose the spells of a companion (sorc/sham)?

Hi!

Long time player of all the older stuff. Recently got into a new BG (EE) bender and I've hit SOD for the first time.
My main is a bard blade and I have a generated half/orc as a tank. Currently I have Vic as a cleric and Safana as a thief.
To add some more spells I'd like to take out the gob shaman and/or (depending if I beef out the frontline with Dorn or not) Baeloth for a spin. However I'd like to be able to chose their spells myself to fit the way I like to play.

My run is less about rp (alignment wise) or optimal builds. I'd just like to explore the new content in a way that's fun for me.

Is there a way to do this Mods?
If I'm missing something in the base game, please be gentle. It's been a while!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SolonjheeSolonjhee Member Posts: 3
    PS: Currently I'm picking up Edwin as a caster, but I don't like his superiority complex. Not my cup of tea, no judgement if you like him :).
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Under normal circumstances, you can only choose spells for a shaman or sorcerer when they level up. For example, when you meet Baeloth in pre-SoD BGEE, he's level 6 with seven level 1 spells, five level 2 spells, and four level 3 spells known. Those are fixed, and chosen in advance. Then he'll level up to 7, and you can choose a new spell of each of those levels. Level to 8, and add a level 4 spell. Level to 9, and add spells of levels 2, 3, and 4. Over those three levels he gains, you'll get to choose one level 1 spell, two level 2 spells, two level 3 spells, and two level 4 spells.

If you want to change existing spells known, you'll need a save-editing tool. There may be mods that allow you to do it as well, but it's something the original game just doesn't do. That makes it quite difficult to mod in.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • SolonjheeSolonjhee Member Posts: 3
    jmerry wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances, you can only choose spells for a shaman or sorcerer when they level up. For example, when you meet Baeloth in pre-SoD BGEE, he's level 6 with seven level 1 spells, five level 2 spells, and four level 3 spells known. Those are fixed, and chosen in advance. Then he'll level up to 7, and you can choose a new spell of each of those levels. Level to 8, and add a level 4 spell. Level to 9, and add spells of levels 2, 3, and 4. Over those three levels he gains, you'll get to choose one level 1 spell, two level 2 spells, two level 3 spells, and two level 4 spells.

If you want to change existing spells known, you'll need a save-editing tool. There may be mods that allow you to do it as well, but it's something the original game just doesn't do. That makes it quite difficult to mod in.

I figured as much. Thank you for replying!
    I was thinking to let npc who join the party start at level 1 and put an item in their inventory that, depending on the player level, gives them exp. I haven't modded ever so I doubt I can pull it off.

Have a nice day!
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    What happens if you use EEKeeper to change their level to 0 and then level them back up? I've never done it before but it might work. Baleloth might lose his bonus spells known tbough...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    You can change the spells directly in EEKeeper, without having to relevel up.

There are also mods available that will allow you to do this. For instance here's an extract from the readme for Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS)
    Improved NPC customisation and management (BGEE,BG2EE,EET)

This component makes it much easier to customise NPCs and to make sure they keep up with your main character even if you swap them in and out of the group. When it is installed, NPCs (including mod-added NPCs) join your party at level zero. If you want, you can activate a special 'customise' power on their innate abilities to change their class and kit to whatever you like. After that, you can level the character to first level and choose their proficiencies, skills and the like. The character will continue levelling until they reach about the same level as your character. (The 'customise' power is unavailable once you increase above level zero.)
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited July 2021
    Grond0 wrote: »

There are also mods available that will allow you to do this. For instance here's an extract from the readme for Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS)

This component makes it much easier to customise NPCs and to make sure they keep up with your main character even if you swap them in and out of the group. When it is installed, NPCs (including mod-added NPCs) join your party at level zero. If you want, you can activate a special 'customise' power on their innate abilities to change their class and kit to whatever you like. After that, you can level the character to first level and choose their proficiencies, skills and the like. The character will continue levelling until they reach about the same level as your character. (The 'customise' power is unavailable once you increase above level zero.)

Interesting. How does that SCS feature handle the extra hit points, thief skills and/or proficoencies you get from level 0?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Grond0 wrote: »

Interesting. How does that SCS feature handle the extra hit points, thief skills and/or proficoencies you get from level 0?

You get your choice of starting skills through levelling from level 0 to level 1 and then level up as normal until you get to the appropriate level.
    Balrog99