Skip to content

Announcing The Blades of Netheril, an unofficial sequel to the Neverwinter Nights OC

sbcskpthh1ve.jpg

Fantasy author and Ossian Studios lead designer Luke Scull is thrilled to announce The Blades of Netheril, an unofficial sequel to the Neverwinter Nights original campaign! The story is a direct continuation of the Wailing Death storyline. Cast out in disgrace and erased from Neverwinter's history, the hero is thrust into a struggle between ancient powers that could ultimately rewrite the fate of Faerûn. Familiar faces will return alongside new allies and enemies as the player embarks on an epic quest that is both world-changing and deeply personal.

The Blades of Netheril will be split into three chapters each approaching an expansion in scope. Each chapter will include:

• 20+ hours of gameplay
• A fully narrated intro cinematic
• Deadly new monsters to fight
• New portraits and a gorgeous world map
• New music
• The level of quality one would expect from an official campaign or premium module

The first chapter begins in Skullport, also known as the Port of Shadows—a city of slavers, monsters and villains festering far below Waterdeep. Waking up in a dark cell with no memory of they how they came to be there, the hero will discover a dark conspiracy that spans the breadth of the Forgotten Realms.
As well as acting as a direct sequel to the original campaign, The Blades of Netheril will serve as a sequel to Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, and Luke’s previous AL series of modules.
The first chapter of the Blades of Netheril is targeting a release date of June 18th, 2022—exactly 20 years after Neverwinter Nights was originally released on Microsoft Windows. Subsequent chapters will follow six to 12 months later.

The Blades of Netheril is currently planned to be available free for owners of Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition on Windows/Mac OS X, while other versions may follow later. Multiplayer is planned but may be added post-release.

For regular updates on The Blades of Netheril, subscribe to Luke Scull’s Patreon. You can also visit his website at www.lukescull.com and follow him on twitter @Luke_Scull.

About Luke Scull:

Luke Scull was the lead designer and writer of NWNEE: Tyrants of the Moonsea, NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate, The Shadow Sun, and the Gemmell award nominated The Grim Company trilogy of novels. He also created the classic NWN Hall of Fame modules Siege of Shadowdale and Crimson Tides of Tethyr and is a veritable depository of Forgotten Realms lore. The Blades of Netheril is his personal project and has no affiliation with Ossian Studios.

Comments

• Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    I love it, @LukeScull . Let me know if you need a hand.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i was not expecting this to be a continuation of the oc. gives the first neverwinter nights a more grand finale feel then just being a game to wrap up the lingering plot threads from moonsea.
  • LukeScullLukeScull Member Posts: 17
    Wow, this sounds incredible. Would've loved to see this as a premium module for NWN's 20th anniversary. The "sequel" component would probably bring in the general RPG crowd. Will this also include the enhancement of your first two modules?

I intend to update my first two modules for NWNEE, but it's low on the list of priorities - hopefully I'll get it done before first chapter of The Blades of Netheril is released and Beamdog can add them to the curated modules menu.
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i was not expecting this to be a continuation of the oc. gives the first neverwinter nights a more grand finale feel then just being a game to wrap up the lingering plot threads from moonsea.

The untold story of the Hero of Neverwinter's fate was a hook too good to resist. It made sense to link to the expansions and my (semi-official?) AL series and create a grand sequel that treats them all as part of one big continuity. This is what I'd have wanted as a player when NWNEE was first announced, and I hope it's something that will draw a sizeable audience of players even as a free download.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I suspected as much when you asked for OC PCs. Looks great. I always thought the story concepts of the OC were somewhat underrated, admittedly owing to its terribly formulaic execution. Will be interesting to see how you link it up with the AL series. I love the idea of different module all taking place in the same living world anyway, referencing each other even if they are not strictly part of the same campaign. That was what the NWN2 FRW project was supposed to bring about, back in the day, and I always thought this was what NWN was meant to become. It's a real shame they can't be released as Premium Modules - maybe I shall have to overcome my aversion to these new business models and look into this Patreon thing. I do think an artist should be paid for their work.
    Isewein wrote: »
    I suspected as much when you asked for OC PCs. Looks great. I always thought the story concepts of the OC were somewhat underrated, admittedly owing to its terribly formulaic execution. Will be interesting to see how you link it up with the AL series. I love the idea of different module all taking place in the same living world anyway, referencing each other even if they are not strictly part of the same campaign. That was what the NWN2 FRW project was supposed to bring about, back in the day, and I always thought this was what NWN was meant to become. It's a real shame they can't be released as Premium Modules - maybe I shall have to overcome my aversion to these new business models and look into this Patreon thing. I do think an artist should be paid for their work.

I absolutely agree - there were some great characters and story elements in the OC, which I'll be building on in The Blades of Netheril. The formulaic structure, respawning enemy mobs, and somewhat careless encounter design probably had their place in 2002, at least in terms of winning over more casual fans, but there won't be any of that here. I'll be taking inspiration from Daggerford, Tyrants, HotU, Swordflight, and others.

I'm involved in other commercial projects so the payment here will be in the satisfaction of bringing a long-term creative ambition to life. That said, new music, character models and particularly VO are expensive. I'm not particularly comfortable with the Patreon model either - but I'm not sure what alternatives are available outside of forming a team of folk all willing to work for free, and that's a level of time commitment that borders on the insane when I have other games and books to write and bills to pay. :smiley:
  • RohomildRohomild Member Posts: 26
    Awesome! I love when new modules gets created and released!
    Have anyone from Beamdog talked to you about adding this to the launcher, or will you only release it in the vault?
    What is the AL series by the way? I'm not familiar with your work but this sounds really cool and I would love to have played your other adventures when starting this one. And do you need to use your character from the OC or is it possible to create a new one? Will a new character be to weak?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    This is amazing news! :D I was all hyped up and ready to play it before I noticed the release date is 2022. XD

Also... "Waking up in a dark cell with no memory of they how they came to be there" is giving me "Oh Gods, you're gonna strip my inventory from my imported character, aren't you?!" vibes. :P

It'll be really nice to see a proper conclusion for the Hero of Neverwinter though. There are quite a few mods that have attempted to do it justice, but so far none have really struck the right chord for me. Out of curiosity, are you planning to have the OC romances (with Aribeth or Aerin) have any impact in Blades of Netheril? Will we see any of the old henchmen back (Linu, Tomi et al, barring Grimgnaw since he's dead and Deekin since he went on to finish his adventures with the SoU/HotU protagonist)?
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 122
    edited July 2021
    Luke Scull - i like your work but please avoid what was done in Neverwinter night 2 and its expansions and let me angry:

Sometimes you get 3, 4 perhaps even FIVE dialogs' options that take you to the SAME ANSWER, this isnt role playing at all, this has a name, it's called DECEPTION.

I prefer 2 or 3 dialogs with 2 or 3 different asnwers, this is HONESTY, INTEGRITY and GOOD.

I mentioned your work here btw:

https://forum.neverwintervault.org/t/luke-scull-patreon-and-blades-of-netheril/4310
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    Excellent news.
    I just watched a video today saying that WotC are putting out a Magic College Prom story....
    So glad someone is making good content.
    Rohomild wrote: »
    Awesome! I love when new modules gets created and released!
    Have anyone from Beamdog talked to you about adding this to the launcher, or will you only release it in the vault?
    What is the AL series by the way? I'm not familiar with your work but this sounds really cool and I would love to have played your other adventures when starting this one. And do you need to use your character from the OC or is it possible to create a new one? Will a new character be to weak?

I've not spoken to anyone at Beamdog.

You should use your character from the OC, if you have one. If not, you will be given the appropriate amount of experience to level-up a new character.
    Zaxares wrote: »
    This is amazing news! :D I was all hyped up and ready to play it before I noticed the release date is 2022. XD

Also... "Waking up in a dark cell with no memory of they how they came to be there" is giving me "Oh Gods, you're gonna strip my inventory from my imported character, aren't you?!" vibes. :P

It'll be really nice to see a proper conclusion for the Hero of Neverwinter though. There are quite a few mods that have attempted to do it justice, but so far none have really struck the right chord for me. Out of curiosity, are you planning to have the OC romances (with Aribeth or Aerin) have any impact in Blades of Netheril? Will we see any of the old henchmen back (Linu, Tomi et al, barring Grimgnaw since he's dead and Deekin since he went on to finish his adventures with the SoU/HotU protagonist)?

I'm afraid there will be an item strip - I'd rather be upfront about this. However, you will get ALL of your items back before the end of the first chapter.

"Maybe" to your question about romances and "Yes" to returning henchmen - as for whom and when, you'll have to wait and see!
  • Night76Night76 Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2021
    Oh my God thanks Luke this is the awesome news of the summers!!!!
    So this new campaign start at high level right?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    LukeScull wrote: »
    Zaxares wrote: »

I'm afraid there will be an item strip - I'd rather be upfront about this. However, you will get ALL of your items back before the end of the first chapter.

"Maybe" to your question about romances and "Yes" to returning henchmen - as for whom and when, you'll have to wait and see!

Thanks for the reply! :D Heh, don't worry about the item strip. I'm kinda used to mods removing my lovely gear, but that's nice to hear we'll get them back. I'm looking forward to playing through this when it's out!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yeah if you look at planescape torments text options it's just the same line with a different tone. there is no real difference between the vow or lie options besides alinement shifts they lead to the same thing.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Finally something exciting for NWN: EE!

Any screenshots or more info on this anywhere?
    1varangian wrote: »
    Finally something exciting for NWN: EE!

Any screenshots or more info on this anywhere?

You can keep up date with the project here: https://www.patreon.com/lukescull

Most of the posts are behind a Patreon subscription wall, but the bigger updates are public. I should have some screenshots soon!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Excited for this. The most interesting story points of the NWN OC mostly happen near the end. Will be following its development.
  • LiamChgoLiamChgo Member Posts: 44
    Is there any ETA on when Blades might be available yet?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    LiamChgo wrote: »
    Is there any ETA on when Blades might be available yet?

The first chapter of the Blades of Netheril is targeting a release date of June 18th, 2022—exactly 20 years after Neverwinter Nights was originally released on Microsoft Windows. Subsequent chapters will follow six to 12 months later.