Skip to content

Portraits Makeover (Ugly to Decent)

ashingdaashingda Member Posts: 29
edited July 2021 in General Modding
These portraits has been really bothering me for some time so I've decided to do something about it by making them less painful to look at. The idea is to edit while try to keep the essence of the original as much as possible. I'll see if there's enough emotion to make a glamour version as well.

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

Attached is the zip containing all the .bmp formats. Place the portraits in the override folder and enjoy.
Post edited by ashingda on

Comments

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Hello @ashingda :)

Nice edits, I really like the first two <3
  • ashingdaashingda Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2018
    Thank you @lefreut

The last one is the hardest of the three, at first I had thought Faldorn was the most difficult. This little elf, her face is in all sorts of directions which confused me greatly and I had no idea what was going on.

After taking a closer look it finally clicked, the nose was the only thing horribly out of place and everything else points in the same direction. Problem solved, things went much more smoothly the 2nd time.

This is indeed much more better than the first version (which make her look like a child). Great work :)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I appreciate your effort.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Good job! The third one is by far my favorite!
    ashingda said:

If anyone has a request, I'm currently up for the challenge.

You also do male portrait? If yes, maybe Coran :)
    All the vanilla portraits from BG1 are somehow hideous (except for Minsc and Edwin), but Coran is way worst than everything else.

IDK how is your schedule, @ashingda , but doing this for all the portraits would undoubtedly be a great service for this community.

My install always changes all the portraits for those provided by PaintBG. The problem is to find a portrait for Chaname that fits the PaintBG style.
    @lefreut @Raduziel

Coran's portrait is indeed bothersome so challenge accepted! I have no problem working on male portraits, it's just that the female portraits bothers me a lot more so it's way up on my priority list.

As for my schedule it's all on a whim. However if you'll like to request I'll bump it up in priority.

Added Coran and Woman2, although like mentioned before Woman2 wasn't bad, but I'll touch it up anyways.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    ashingda said:

If anyone has a request, I'm currently up for the challenge.

How about Branwen?
    @SharGuidesMyHand

Branwen completed. I'm really considering just caking their face as a version, but it'll stray too far from the original. Next up would be Viconia (original), perhaps the male portraits could also be considered hideous but it doesn't bother me much cause I'm also male so you'll have to ask otherwise `I care not.
    edited June 2018
    I'm not a fan of this last one, sorry :/

I like the nose and lips but it seems that she has too much makeup, her faces feel flat now. And her eyes are a little too small.
    edited June 2018
    @lefreut thanks for the feed back, I realize now that I focused too much on the reference used for lighting and fail to appreciate the charms that was already present in the original. I really did stray a bit too far from my original goal for I only wanted to touch it up and not recreate the face.

Made some minor changes to the edit and slight highlight in some areas. I rolled the slider back and forth trying to find a happy medium. The most noticeable changes are the eye highlights, the nose bridge and the mouth curve.

If there's anymore critiques I'm happy to hear it as it's a great way for improvement. Also I picked up a few new insights on this edit so thanks again.

Much better, indeed!
    I keep getting the impression that Skie is suppose to be very young, so I re-modified her portrait to reflect that.

LMNE8f7.png
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    @ashingda

I really like your work. Can you have a go at Imoen? She sounds a lot younger - and way more smiley - than her portrait would have us believe.
    edited July 2021
    @Permidion_Stark
    I'm glad you like it, to be honest I'm not sure why I haven't done Imoen yet. Here's my first attempt, I'm not sure where a good balance point is. Perhaps a little younger?

Post edited by ashingda on
    Thanks @ashingda

I think that's definitely going in the right direction. Would it be possible to lower her raised left-eyebrow to make her less quizzical-looking? I think doing that might help to give the impression she is smiling.

Imoen is my favourite character but I have always thought her portrait looks too sophisticated and mature for her personality.

@Permidion_Stark
    I appreciate the feedback. Here's goes round 2, lowering the eyebrow, smooth out the skin a bit and adjusted the face shape a bit.

Ja3tkC0.png
    @ashingda

I really like that. She still looks like Imoen but she looks a lot younger and less knowing. She looks more like a little sister than a big sister now. Nice work.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Just found this thread.

Great edits, I have to say, I love your Skie edit the most. I only disagree with your principle of Branwen requiring de-aging, due to her coming from Norheim Isles where the lore says the climate should be sub-arctic and I feel that weather should have aged her face appropriately to the portrait.
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    ashingda wrote: »
    I keep getting the impression that Skie is suppose to be very young, so I re-modified her portrait to reflect that.

LMNE8f7.png

@ashingda Your work is really impressive! I'm wondering if you can release the middle version of Skie, as I think this is the best of the three. Would really appreciate it!