Int: 12
Wis: 18
Cha: 10

which is better?

Comments

• KatzerchenKatzerchen Member Posts: 61
    edited August 2021
    For IWD, I would take the second one.

Cha 12 instead of 10 won't do much for you, and unless you are planning to solo, you would send in a paladin or mage with the "Friends" spell to do the talking and shopping anyway.

Con 18 won't give you additional HP, with 16 you'll get the maximum as a cleric.
    Con 18 for a character who isn't of a warrior class only makes sense when like in BG1, you can raise it to 20 for regeneration.

Second one also has better armor class (by 4), hits better with a sling, can carry a bit more...
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    In normal difficulty, and with a party of 6, i dont like vanilla clerics, instead i use dual or multiclass one. Even an early dualled (like level 3) is better than single classed.
    In higher difficulty and/or smaller party with the chance of higher level you can reach, the turn undead become a thing that more and more useful.
  • SizotSizot Member Posts: 2
    Danacm wrote: »
    In normal difficulty, and with a party of 6, i dont like vanilla clerics, instead i use dual or multiclass one. Even an early dualled (like level 3) is better than single classed.
    In higher difficulty and/or smaller party with the chance of higher level you can reach, the turn undead become a thing that more and more useful.

I have a team of three
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A higher constitution can also help if you're from a short race. I'd take 18 Con on a dwarf cleric, because of +1 to spell/death/wand saves compared to 16 Con.

For a pure cleric in the 2nd edition D&D system modeled by IWD and the BG series...

Strength increases damage with melee weapons and slings, and grants bonuses to hit with melee weapons. It also determines carry weight, and heavier items have minimum strength requirements. 15 strength to wear full plate, 16 strength to start getting combat bonuses, and the bonuses make a huge jump when you go from 18 to 19.
    Clerics can also boost their strength with spells; either adding strength with spells like Draw Upon Holy Might or setting strength with spells like Holy Power. If you're at a relatively high level and fully buffed, it won't matter what your strength started at; you'll start with a strength-setting spell and then apply a strength-boosting spell.

Dexterity grants AC if it's high enough. +0 at Dex 14, +4 at Dex 18. This is huge. It also grants bonuses to hit with ranged attacks such as slings. Basically every character wants Dex as high as it will go, and the only reason not to do that is if you have too many other stats that need the help.

Constitution grants HP for everybody, and save bonuses for short races. No HP bonus at Con 14, +2 per hit die at Con 16, nothing more beyond that except slow regeneration at 20+. The shorty save bonuses are +2 at Con 7-10, +3 at Con 11-13, +4 at Con 14-17, and +5 at Con 18+.

Intelligence isn't used for anything except lore and item requirements. Lore is unimportant because a thief, mage, or especially bard will outperform a cleric no matter what after a few levels, and you only need one party member with high lore for free identification. The main item requirements to watch for are scrolls and wands, which are at 9. Anything beyond that just won't do anything meaningful for a cleric.

Wisdom grants extra divine spell slots, which is especially good early on. Obviously, you want as much of this as possible.

Charisma helps out when you're interacting with NPCs and shops. Your party "face" wants as much of this as possible, and some classes have Cha requirements. For everyone else, feel free to dump it.