Skip to content

Is Baldur's Gate EE worth it for 1st timer?

OzelnHaxyOzelnHaxy Member Posts: 1
Well, even tho I am 26 this year, never I have play Baldur's Gate. So, I am kinda confused rather buy the original or EE, since many reviews in Steam or GoG told that original is better. So, which one is actually better? Can someone give me pros/cons? Many thanks.

For your information, this was a spambot, not a real person. The post was an identical copy/paste of a reddit post made in 2016 and the registration email blacklisted. We usually catch them and remove all content before they insert links later, but since people made the effort to reply and it's on topic, it remains
Post edited by Arvia on

Comments

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited August 2021
    More or less that.

The original goal of the Enhanced Editions was to make the games natively playable on modern hardware/architectures, and in this they succeed. Most of the "the original is better" argument falls under "they changed it, so it sucks," but if you've never played the original then that doesn't actually apply here, and as jmerry said you're never actually forced to participate in the new content (though as a new player you will stumble into it a couple times)

I will warn you now - excepting the EE-content, the game was made in 1996. There will be questionable design. Save early, save often, and don't be afraid to load your save games if something goes wrong.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2021
    I have a huge fondness for the original game because I played it when it first came out but I would definitely recommend the Enhanced Editions to a new player.

If you do want to see the original then if you buy the Enhanced Edition on GoG you also get the original for free. I can't remember exactly how you go about getting the original game because GoG doesn't make it easy to find and they don't publicise it at all. I think once you buy the Enhanced Edition you can access a link that will take you to a download of the original game. Word of warning though, if you happen to be playing on a Mac I don't think the original version will run anymore (I certainly can't get it to run on my Mac).
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on