Skip to content

Imoen might have overdone it in the last battle with Mr. S

Playing with Endless BG1 changed my tactics in the final battle, as before you only needed to take down one dude to get the cut screen. This has traditionally made this battle a lot harder, as you now need to take down several. So, on my current run, I tried a different tactic.

I noticed that the door to the temple was not initially locked. It apparently only locks when you confront Mr. S. So, I had Imoen put down a perimeter of traps where I expected to kite Mr. S and his buddies for the battle. It took a few game days to do it, but eventually she had a pretty solid perimeter of 16 traps that were unavoidable if you wanted to tackle the visible part of the party.

When they were ready, I positioned Khalid and Imoen with arrows in the corner, my PC near the door, and Isra, Sirene, and Jaheira behind the traps. Everyone was invisible at this point, so Isra runs up and alerts Mr. S that it's on, but being invisible, they turn red but don't move. She ducks behind the perimeter while Jaheira summons some beetles, which they used to kite the enemies to them.

I wasn't sure if the traps in the central skull motif would affect enemies or not, but I had the party send the beetles straight over it and back. The result was intriguing...

As soon as they walked into the motif, the apparently set off not only it, but most of Imoen's traps. Mr. T, Mr. A, and Mr. S go down immediately in a row. Mr. S is still alive, but barely - and there was one surviving beetle. I moved it a few feet over to where there were a few surviving traps, and that was that. The battle was over, and my entire party was still entirely invisible. Imoen (and possibly the temple) got all the credit for taking out the enemy.

Possibly the most anti-climactic final battle for BG1 I have ever played!

Comments