Skip to content

Archer, Stalker(/Cleric) and Beast Master(/Cleric): dual-classing and weapon issues

Well, I started an additional trio of 3 different Ranger kits on HoF. ?

Archer (an elf with DEX=19). It would be silly to dual-class a human archer to Cleric since such character couldn't use bows and crossbows LoL. ? That's why I have chosen an elf as a pure Archer. Though, I'm not sure whether DEX=19 could make any difference‽

Stalker (human with WIS=18 dual-classable to Cleric). She can backstab. Principal (right-hand) weapon: club. Secondary weapons: flails, hammers and maces. She's supposed to go in melees trying to make sneak attacks.

Beast Master (human with WIS=18 dual-classable to Cleric). Principal weapon: sling. She's supposed to be a summoner (starting from lvl 6). Familiar: pseudo-dragon. ?

Well, I'm planning to dual-class my human rangers to Clerics at lvl 29. However, it makes additional restrictions on weaponry. That's why dual-wielding Stalker is forced to use clubs as the principal right-hand weapon. The Beast Master/Cleric would be restricted to clubs, slings and staffs.
StummvonBordwehrSkatan

Comments

• YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    All members of my party got lvl 6 and the Beast Master can now cast Animal Summoning I ?, quite handy at this stage. ?
    My party has the following rule for spellcasting ?:

Archer casts defensive spells (blue icons).
    Stalker casts attacking spells (red icons).
    Beast Master casts summoning and detection spells (green and white icons).
    StummvonBordwehr
  • ThoriumThorium Member Posts: 36
    Sounds like a fun theme. How have you managed with AC issues since your characters are restricted to wearing only light armor? Or is it not a problem at all when playing in HoF mode?
    Yigor
    edited August 2021
    Thorium wrote: »
    Sounds like a fun theme. How have you managed with AC issues since your characters are restricted to wearing only light armor? Or is it not a problem at all when playing in HoF mode?

Well, I just played a lot on HoF, already 20 years ago with the original IWD. ?

Without monster summoning, it could be indeed very tricky to survive. ? However, with monster summoning (invoked monsters are also scaled in HoF mode), most of battles are straightforward with the following tactics: U send invoked animals/monsters in the front line, while bombarding your enemies with ranged weapons and distance spells. With a Beast Master in the group, this tactics is available starting from lvl 6 (in Easthaven U get already about 150,000 XP). ?

P.S. Light or heavy armor, HoF enemies will heavily hit U anyway, if U go in direct fights. Dwarven Defender, with his high physical resistance in Defensive Stance, is possibly the unique character that could afford himself honest melee battles starting on HoF from scratch. ⚔️
    Nevertheless, I try to send my Stalker into melees as often as possible, basically when enemies are occupied with summoned animals. ?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited August 2021
    I love rangers in Infinity Engine games. Free Dual wielding, use any weapon, archery bonus or backstabbing from kits, hide in shadows ... So much they can do for a single class.

That said, I've never done HoF mode for long, but as far as I recall backstabbing isn't as satisfactory as in BG because of its many mobs and undead foes.

As for the spellcasting part, does a spell cast from a level 8 ranger count as level 1?
    Yigor
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    I love rangers in Infinity Engine games. Free Dual wielding, use any weapon, archery bonus or backstabbing from kits, hide in shadows ... So much they can do for a single class.

That said, I've never done HoF mode for long, but as far as I recall backstabbing isn't as satisfactory as in BG because of its many mobs and undead foes.

As for the spellcasting part, does a spell cast from a level 8 ranger count as level 1?

My stalker has delivered some nice sneak attacks with a club (I've activated 3e rules), often without hiding in shadows. Basically, it's necessary to stand just behind the enemy, otherwise it says: "Sneak attack ineffective". ?

Hiding in shadows sometimes allows to survive on HoF. Namely, while entering in an adjacent area and immediately falling on enemies. Beast Master has no time for summoning, the spellcasting will be (almost) certainly interrupted. So, the best tactics is to hide in shadows before entering, then finding a position in a new area where Beast Master has enough time to cast a summoning spell. ?

I'll check your info about spell levels. ?
    edited August 2021
    DJKajuru wrote: »

I started to check it. The Protection from Evil (3 rounds/level), casted by my lvl 7 Archer, lasted about as long as 2 times Entangle, so about 20/21 rounds. Additional verifications are necessary. ?

Post edited by Yigor on
    Current status: all my rangers have level 9 in Kresselack Tomb. ⚔️