Skip to content

Good armour for Fighter/mages?

To my endless grief, the adamantine chain I nicked off a drow in the underdark was reduced to dust... Now I'm back to Bracers of AC3 and a cloak of protection +2 and I'm wondering... Is this it? Have I reached the best fighter/mage equipment (minus robe of Vecna, which is better spent on the mage dual-classes) or is there any equipment I should look out for?

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    If you manage to get hold of the Bladesinger Chain you might want to hang onto it until ToB where Cespenar can upgrade it into something usable by fighter/mages. Or if you don't want to wait that long I think the Tweak pack allows Cromwell to do some of Cespenar's recipes (though I don't know whether that includes upgrading the Bladesinger Chain, or indeed whether you can introduce it mid-game)
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Yeah there's not a lot of great armors i'm afraid, but AC for a F/M is kind of not necessary.. so there's that.

But until you do get Bladesinger, your best bet is just Elven Chainmail you can get in Trademeet.. but it's like AC5 or whatever.

Still, i'd rather wear AC5 body armor and drop the AC3 bracers for something useful like the gloves of expertise.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    You're probably best off going with a robe of archmagi since you're using Vecna on someone else. The Smithy in Trademeet sells a Good one. A Neutral one can be bought in one of the Neera's quest regions.

As others have said you don't really need one, as protection spells can cover you. Armor spells can last a while too if you really want AC.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Another thing to note about the option of archmage robes - they can be worn with rings, cloaks, and amulets of protection, unlike enchanted elven chain. Archmage robes, a +2 protection item, and Spirit Armor is better AC than even that +5 adamantine chain. And it also comes with +3 to all saves and an additional +3 to spell saves.

Enchanted armor is a trap, unless it comes with something more than raw AC. The only drow armor that even tempts me these days is the +3 elven chain with improved casting speed.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    edited August 2021
    Can't wear cloak of protection for juicy saving throw bonus and ac.. you would get 5%MR, but +2 Saves and AC is a bit more useful me thinks.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2021
    jmerry wrote: »
    Another thing to note about the option of archmage robes - they can be worn with rings, cloaks, and amulets of protection, unlike enchanted elven chain.

And they look really spiffy on your paper-doll too! ?
  • wukewuke Member Posts: 113
    Just let others wear full plate and tank mob attacks, and f/m tank heavy hitters like golems and dragons, with help of stoneskin and mirror image. You only need 1 or 2 characters with maxed AC.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2021
    If you are asking about armor for fighter/mages then it is time for a strategic rethink as armor is among the least important protective measures at your disposal.