Skip to content

Save Game Compatibility Between Android and PC(Win10)

RalloRallo Member Posts: 4
edited August 2021 in Technical Support
I recently bought the EE after seeing all the promotions of cross-play/mobile play etc, but am unable to play a save game on my Android that I copied from my PC.

I can save a game on my android, copy it to my PC, load the save up and play fine, then save the game on my PC, send it back to my android(where the save file was originally created) and upon trying to load the save game, I get an error message. The message states "The module was created with an updated version of Neverwinter Nights." and asks me to update the game.

Is there any way to get around this issue? If Beamdog has no intention of fixing this issue.
Post edited by Rallo on

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    There is a way, which I describe here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/79648/will-my-ee-save-files-work-in-diamond-edition

In my view, this is a bug. The version check is required when starting a module, because it might contain new script commands that are not supported on the device. However, since scripts are not altered by normal gameplay, no further checks or version stamps are required on saves. It used to work that way before EE.

To date, the devs have argued that it is possible to make a save incompatible by running script chunks. This is technically true, but IMO players who use debug tools do so at their own risk. I'd rather let the majority of players share saves across platforms than protect newbie script hackers, but apparently that's not Beamdog's view.
  • RalloRallo Member Posts: 4
    I really appreciate the reply, I'm gonna give this a shot and see what happens! If Beamdog intentionally left it this way, I think that's pretty lame of them, especially considering how easy it would be to resolve.