Skip to content

Bwahaha... awesome Candlekeep's rats on LoB

Difficulty: LoB
Rat: 83HP, 90% of physical resistance, 1 XP (!!) ?

I drank coffee ☕ while my char throwed bullets at those 5 rats (that surrounded his familiar) during 5-10 mins in order to gain 5XP. LoL ?
FenrirWolfganger

Comments

• YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    In IWD on HoF, for a similar initial quest in Easthaven (killing bugs in a cellar), U get 2000 XP for each bug. ?
    FenrirWolfganger
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    There's an option for the increased XP; not one of those normally accessible in-game, but the baldur.lua file should have this line:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','No Difficulty Based XP Bonus','1')

Change that '1' to a '0', and you'll be getting the increased XP you're familiar with from IWD.
    YigorFenrirWolfganger
    jmerry wrote: »
    There's an option for the increased XP; not one of those normally accessible in-game, but the baldur.lua file should have this line:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','No Difficulty Based XP Bonus','1')

Change that '1' to a '0', and you'll be getting the increased XP you're familiar with from IWD.

Nice tip! ? but I play on Nintendo Switch. ?
    FenrirWolfganger
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Yigor wrote: »
    Difficulty: LoB
    Rat: 83HP, 90% of physical resistance, 1 XP (!!) ?

I drank coffee ☕ while my char throwed bullets at those 5 rats (that surrounded his familiar) during 5-10 mins in order to gain 5XP. LoL ?

In a previous update of the game those rats did damage when they attacked in LoB, making killing them a decent challenge - using a familiar with regeneration was actually one of the easier ways to do that ...
    XDarkStrikerXFenrirWolfgangerYigorStummvonBordwehr
  • XDarkStrikerXXDarkStrikerX Member Posts: 102
    Grond0 wrote: »
    In a previous update of the game those rats did damage when they attacked in LoB, making killing them a decent challenge - using a familiar with regeneration was actually one of the easier ways to do that ...

To add to this, if you play as a Lawful Evil character, the polymorphing ability of the imp really speed this up, like the spider form with the stacking poison damage. Last time i tried however, the Imp regen seemed to bug from time to time and it would stay injured for days until it starts to regen again. Totemic druid really don't care either. Any class, like Blackguard and Assassin, that can deal poison damage speed this up reasonably.

Not sure if they regen on rest, but there is no reason to rely on the hit roll with those classes to deal with the rats if you're really determined to do the quest. Just rest at the inn and finish them with the poison abilities, it's much faster.
    YigorFenrirWolfgangerStummvonBordwehr
    Grond0 wrote: »

To add to this, if you play as a Lawful Evil character, the polymorphing ability of the imp really speed this up, like the spider form with the stacking poison damage. Last time i tried however, the Imp regen seemed to bug from time to time and it would stay injured for days until it starts to regen again. Totemic druid really don't care either. Any class, like Blackguard and Assassin, that can deal poison damage speed this up reasonably.

Not sure if they regen on rest, but there is no reason to rely on the hit roll with those classes to deal with the rats if you're really determined to do the quest. Just rest at the inn and finish them with the poison abilities, it's much faster.

Yeah, but I roleplay Sorcerer with intentionally retricted list of learnt spells. In addition, he has CG alignment with Fairy Dragon familiar. Oh, well, I take it as an additional challenge. ?

Anyway, that Storehouse quest didn't pose me a real problem (cuz rats were rather quiet). I just expected to get more than 1XP per rat. LoL ?

Now, my char with Imoen (both of lvl 1) make some fights with Hobgoblins near Friendly Arm Inn. Each Hobgoblin is like a miniboss at this stage. RoFL
    FenrirWolfganger
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited September 2021
    I just expected to get more than 1XP per rat. LoL ?
    At normal difficulties, the rats have 1 HP, auto-fail saves, and even a non-proficient mage can hit them on a 2 with the starting staff. One XP each is generous.

The physical resistance is really there to prevent the rats from being chunked by melee attacks, which would otherwise be common.
    YigorFenrirWolfganger
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    The real danger is breaking your metal weapon(s). It's not worth the xp vs. gp for 1 xp/rat + 50xp if you're using a breakable weapon. For 2k xp/rat it's more than worth it though!
    FenrirWolfganger
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    The real danger is breaking your metal weapon(s). It's not worth the xp vs. gp for 1 xp/rat + 50xp if you're using a breakable weapon. For 2k xp/rat it's more than worth it though!

LoL My Heart of Fury instincts told me that it would be better and wiser to bombard rats from distance (who knows, one critical bite and my sorcerer is dead). I spent 200-300 sling bullets but, basically, it's my Familiar who has beaten those rats. ?
    FenrirWolfgangerBalrog99
    Whacking them with a staff is better than slinging bullets, because bullets cost money and the staff gets the anti-unarmed bonus (+4 to hit, +4 damage).

And you start with a staff for free! Well, unless you're a monk. In which case you won't need it...
    YigorJuliusBorisov
    edited September 2021
    Whacking them with a staff is better than slinging bullets, because bullets cost money and the staff gets the anti-unarmed bonus (+4 to hit, +4 damage).

And you start with a staff for free! Well, unless you're a monk. In which case you won't need it...

Wow... U are such economical dudes (!!) while I spend lotsa money on sling bullets and arrows (for Imoen). However, it gives me idea for the next gameplay! ?
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    You have no "party" (other than that one training session) during the prologue, so if your PC can't pick locks, the amount of starting gold is rather thin. Wasting it on rats is foolish, when there are more serious threats to break your sword on.

Of course, if you can pick locks, there is a nifty gem you can fence at Winthrop's inn - at which point your PC will have enough gold to waste a few swords on those rats.
    Yigor
    The Dagger +1 you can get from Fuller won't break either.
    YigorXDarkStrikerXJuliusBorisov
    Yesterday in a new LoB gameplay my Totemic Druid has broken on those rats a scimitar costing 74 XP. LoL ?
    Yesterday in a new LoB gameplay my Totemic Druid has broken on those rats a scimitar costing 74 XP. LoL ?

Told you to just that staff! ?
    Yigor
    edited September 2021
    Told you to just that staff! ?

At least, it proves that scimitars (contrary to ninjato and wakizashi) are fabricated from the local iron and not imported from Kara-Tur! ?

Balrog99