Skip to content

Who is your favorite joinable mage in the BG series?

LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
I'm just curious.
I'd like to know who everyone's favorite is, and why~
  1. Who is your favorite joinable mage in the BG series?171 votes
    1. Xzar
        7.60%
    2. Edwin
      40.94%
    3. Dynaheir
        2.34%
    4. Xan
      13.45%
    5. Quayle
        0.58%
    6. Nalia
        2.34%
    7. Aerie
      11.11%
    8. Jan Jansen
        8.77%
    9. Neera :D
        2.34%
    10. You forgot someone.
      10.53%

Comments

• cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    Well as I almost always run with a Evil Party , my choices was Xzar and Edwin.With Edwin being better overall , but both are fun to have around.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Our quest is vain.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Its between xzar, xan and edwin
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    I have a thing for red wizards... Edwin.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Edwin's extra spells, LE alignment, snide remarks, and inability to contain his inner monologue make him a must-have for my party in BG1.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    a spell for every occasion
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Imoen! She's like the first character you get in both games!

(Okay, to be fair she isn't a mage to start in BG1)
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @Mechalibur
    Yeah, I forgot about her, since I was thinking in terms of her BG1 class and forgot she dualled to mage in BG2. Sorry bout that.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    That's okay. I know if I would have made the list, I probably would have forgotten Quayle. :P
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2012
    Even though I usually play a neutral/good party,I still love the guy :D if he wouldn't go throat to throat with Minsc (and Dynaheir) I would even keep him in the party all the time. But I did do a BG2 playthrough once where I had him and Viconia in my good party (with Jaheria, Imoen and some melee fighter whom I dont remember now,but was definetly not Korgan). Had to keep a very close eye on my reputation so they wouldn't leave me, but I just liked them sooo much. I always imagined that I can change Viconia, and with Edwin... well... I imagined CHARNAME saying "No, we don't do that! Bad wizard!" a lot! :D
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    ... simians ...
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Turnip anecdotes, gadgets and a wicked color palette. Whats not to like?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Definitely Imoen. In general for some reason her initial spell setup seems to point out that she might as well be the most useful one of the bunch, plus her character is really well written.

Nalia is quite good too actually, especially with Tenser Transformation up and running. The advantage over Edwin here is that she's able to use Katanas, Short Swords and Scimitars, and the advantage over Jan is that she's able to use Tenser at a better pace. Doesn't beat Imoen, certainly doesn't beat Haer'dalis, but she's easily aquirable early on and can stay with you without too much fuss forever (truly, all she asks is to
    go to her dad's funeral, I think that's reasonable enough!

In BG1, Xzar is made out of so much win that you'd just like to hug him along side with a bear ^_^ (gotta love Xzary :3 )
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    edited November 2012
    Senash said:

I imagined CHARNAME saying "No, we don't do that! Bad wizard!" a lot! :D

haha that is exactly the experience my character has with Xzar. Just like a naughty puppy. with a necromantic fetish.

in BG2 i have a soft spot for Nalia, usually end up with her in my party, as i find her very useful and she doesn't grate on me personality wise like Jan or Aerie. Plus, she's feeelthy steeenking rich, so, y'know, doesn't hurt to have a wealthy benefactor...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I take Edwin the most because he's bloody powerful, and fairly amusing.

But I'm giving Xzar the vote here since 1. he's a great mage, 2. he has dual-classing options, 3. last but not least he is HILARIOUS!

Xan is pretty damn awesome too. Love his voiceset, and his playstyle is very interesting and fun.

Quayle is bloody hilarious, and useful, I love him.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Aerie

I don't usually have mages join my party because my main character is a Fighter/Mage and I generally prefer a small party. I've played games with most of those characters, but I can't actually remember if I ever used Quayle. If I did it wasn't for very long.

I've had Aerie in my party more than any other mage, but for the most part I don't actually use her for spells. In my current party she is just there for the banter and to serve as extra inventory space (I gave her a girdle so she could carry stuff).

As far as joinable spellcasters go, I prefer clerics. I usually have 2-3 clerics in my party.
  • drsahldrsahl Member Posts: 65
    Edwin :D
  • SamwiseSamwise Member Posts: 5
    It's Xzar because he is so crazy.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Edwin's been my favourite character in BG since I discovered him on that Nashkel bridge. His egocentricity, arrogance and personal incompetence just entertain: I find him completely hilarious. I was so happy when he appeared in BGII. Of course, the fact he's the best mage in the game helps, but I didn't even know that for *ages*.

Xzar and Xan are close seconds, for different reasons.
  • lain2501lain2501 Member Posts: 12
    Aerie + Rhynn staff > Kangaxx ok? :) I just love this mage/cleric multiclass, so powerful with amulet of power and vecna rob, instant group healing come on!
  • PonuraPonura Member Posts: 8
    I can understand Edwin (I mean, he's great but I usually play good), but AERIE? I kind of hated her. Actually I could never find any likable mage in BG2 (I had to be the spellcaster of the group :P). Three moaning girls and an irritating gnome :P GOD I missed Xan!
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    Imoen!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Have to say I always go with Dynaheir in BG1, as I haven't found a non-jackass way to pick Edwin over her at the gnoll fortress - and also the Dynaheir romance in the BG1 NPC Project is one of my favourites. Over the course of the series I end up reuniting with Edwin though.
  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106

Edwin's been my favourite character in BG since I discovered him on that Nashkel bridge. His egocentricity, arrogance and personal incompetence just entertain: I find him completely hilarious. I was so happy when he appeared in BGII. Of course, the fact he's the best mage in the game helps, but I didn't even know that for *ages*.

Xzar and Xan are close seconds, for different reasons.

I agree that Edwin is the best pure mage, but he is in my opinion not the best choice. First of all, he can't use Divination spells. Not even from scrolls! Aerie has lots more spells in total, Jan is an Illusionist and at the same time covers all of your thieving needs.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I have a love-hate relationship with Edwin.

I like his power, and his comments in BG2, but he pisses me off so much in BG1.

But since i'm going for an evil party, he's definetely in :P

For Neera i can't say much, i'll need to play through with her in the party first.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I would probably have voted for Edwin were it not for the fact that I knew he would get plenty of votes without me.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    @salieri
    Glad to see I'm not the only one here who really likes Quayle.
    ...I just didn't vote for him because I like Xan a lot more.
  • MsciwojMsciwoj Member Posts: 5
    I have intentionally chosen someone who appears only in the first part of saga. In BG2, interaction between characters is much more developed, so we have an opportunity to get to know them better, because of banters, quests and so on. Irenicus kills Dynaheir, so she can't join our team in Amn, and we are unable to reveal her potential - I'm sure she has one.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Ponura said:

Three moaning girls and an irritating gnome :P GOD I missed Xan!

Wow, THREE moaning girls? You must know what you're doing man, teach me your skills.
    (Bad joke, sorry...)
    salieri said:

I would probably have voted for Edwin were it not for the fact that I knew he would get plenty of votes without me.

Lol ya for real. I was right about to click "vote" with him selected then I was like ... wait he will already have all the votes.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.