Skip to content

Can this bug introduced by 2.6 be fixed with mods?

Just wondering if the bug that causes Thief simulacra unable to use the thieving abilities is fixable or just a hardcoded thing?

Thanks

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited September 2021
    Checking on things ... clones can pick pockets, but not detect/disarm traps or use stealth. Note that if your clone picks a pocket and then expires naturally, any items it picked up vanish forever. When a clone is created, items already equipped or in inventory gain the "non-droppable" flag, and items that were already non-droppable vanish.

In 2.5 ... detecting traps works, stealth works, picking pockets works, disarming traps doesn't.

Now, I can see why not allowing trap disabling for clones can make sense; they already can't open containers to set the traps off. Disabling stealth doesn't make sense, finding traps and detecting illusions shouldn't cause problems, but picking pockets should be disabled because it's a way to destroy critical items.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to be easy to mod. Looking at the simulacrum spell, all of the real action is contained in a single opcode 236 action. And the spell itself is unchanged. It's what that opcode (used for all clones, in various forms) does under the hood that's changed. And that means any attempt to change it would require deeper access to things than mods usually work with.
    Post edited by jmerry on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited September 2021
    It's just two effects in SIMULACR.SPL that have to be removed, nothing complicated.
    It's not intended: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1169353/#Comment_1169353

File is from BG2EE, but should work in BGEE/SoD/IWDEE for now.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Huh. Simpler than I would have thought. SIMULACR.SPL existed in older versions, but was only a graphical change then. 2.6 adds a bunch of stuff to it.
    - Remove all temporary abilities that Raise Dead does.
    - Remove the Slayer Change and Pocket Plane abilities (only relevant in the BG2EE campaign).
    - Block new sequencers and contingencies from being made.
    - Block all clone spells from being used (except Shadow Twin as noted in the link).
    - Block restoration effects.
    - Disable the trapfinding and stealth buttons.
  • royalprotectorroyalprotector Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the file! I'll test it when I can.