Skip to content

Wands of Summoning

Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
I am curious, will they function like vanilla BG, or follow the BGII wands of summoning rules?

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The game is using a modified BG2 engine, so I'd say the latter.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    What was the difference exactly?
  • DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39
    Bg2 had a 5 monster summon cap, which for me personally, is really annoying.
    In BG1, you could easily have 30 monsters at the same time.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited July 2012
    BG2 summons 1 or 2, maybe 3?

BG1 summons an army.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2012
    Well, I remember in the original BG, the wand of summoning had a feature (probably bug) that allowed for infinite summonings. So one could expel the whole wand to fight a big battle. Great fun, but probably unintended feature. The summoning limit in BG2 made the fights a bit more balanced, so if this is fixed in BGII it will make some of the big battles more challenging.
    Can't they just fix the bug? The possibilities and RP values offered by the original system are quite good. You can't really bodyblock someone with 3 skeletons, but you can with 6.
    I think it's safe to assume that a summoning limit was implemented in BG2 to prevent the player from having an army fighting for him.

Same thing with summon skeletons.
    What's wrong with having an army? I mean, half of D&D lore includes some kind of army. Mulahey has about fifty kobolds at his disposal. Plus, it's not like they're a strong army...having no weapons(skeletons in vanilla).
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Does it matter? Ding0's Tweaks can remove the summoning cap for Tutu/BGT/BG2.
    Never did so for me, even if I did install them. My mistake.

And it matters, because if they remake BG, then remake BG. Not BG2 with BG1 areas. Apart from fixing bugs the game really should stay the same, if you ask me.
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    I think they should atleast raise the cap to 10, or maybe introduce a new system where you can choose to summon a lot weaker creatures or a few strong ones, something similar to a RTS game.
    What's wrong with having an army?
    Well, it was a problem because it didn't just make the game easier, it was cheesing it.
    Abusing a bug is cheesing it, having 30 skeletons with no weapons and giving up on other spells is not.