Skip to content

Star Wars...

2»

Comments

• Gonglez_P_IGonglez_P_I Member Posts: 14
    Aosaw said:

...and there's the death of the Star Wars franchise.

Because that didn't happen when George Lucas created Jar-Jar Binks?
    If Disney is going to deal the death blow to Star Wars, it will be the ceremonial smothering with the pillow after George Lucas removed it's vital organs.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I was amazed to see the $$ figure for the sale of the star wars ip and still think it's a typo. The article i read said lucas sold the ip for something like 4Billion???? and that he was donating all of it or maybe just 1/2 of it(i can't recall) to the U.S. education system.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

...and there's the death of the Star Wars franchise.

You're more than a decade late to that party.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I was amazed to see the $$ figure for the sale of the star wars ip and still think it's a typo. The article i read said lucas sold the ip for something like 4Billion???? and that he was donating all of it or maybe just 1/2 of it(i can't recall) to the U.S. education system.

He has not specified how much I don't think. Plus if I'm not mistaken half of the 4 billion is in disney shares, so there are liquidity issues.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

Actually, it wasn't just the Star Wars franchise. It was all of Lucasfilm.

Also, this is worth a read: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/11/george_lucas_is_giving_all_4_billion_of_his_disney.php
  • BrightNightBrightNight Member Posts: 36
    My heart skipped a beat when this news reached me. But after letting it sink down, i can honestly say this might be very good.

I have the feeling that mr Lucas got a bit stuck with it and didn't know what do to with it anymore. Maybe even afraid of failing fans (again) with new trilogy. (Although i love the new movies as good as the old ones, i know most don't).

Think about what Disney did with Pixar, The Muppets and with the Marvel Universe. They didn't change into Kiddy Disney flicks. I'm pretty sure Disney will leave Star Wars in its own universe as it has always been. Space Opera with a dark side, and will treat it with respect. Also George Lucas is still creative director of everything Starwars. And lets not forget its still the same guys at Lucas Arts making it.

I'm very curious what new fresh directors are going to do with it now. Good news for all us Starwars geeks is that Disney of course wants to get some serious money out of it....4 billion is not going to pay itself back. So a lot of Star Wars the coming decade!........i have foreseen this, in the force.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

He has not specified how much I don't think. Plus if I'm not mistaken half of the 4 billion is in disney shares, so there are liquidity issues.
    You're probably right. The article i read was lacking a lot of detail on the specifics of the sale.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    So... Does this mean that Leia is now a Disney Princess?