Skip to content

Which game next after finishing BGEE2: Throne of Bhaal?

2»

Comments

• BewildermentBewilderment Member Posts: 24
    lollers wrote: »
    I suggest giving the first one a miss and skipping ahead to original sin 2, if only because it is the one that cares more about the story and characters and takes itself a bit more seriously. It isn't really like Baldurs Gate though, and that might be a good thing or a bad thing: baldurs gate was more focused on a singular character, and original sin 2 wanted to give the player options, but in BG the WHOLE world revolves around you, this one person, and that feels nice for some people and others think it is egostical. If you like to play alone you can make a custom group of adventurers and nothing in the story is really about them specifically. The character-focused ones come with the preset templates, and some of them such as Loshe and Fane are probably more main plot central than others. You can take posession of them upon character creation, or you can recruit them as followers, and you get a more intimate perspective based on this. Also you can play co-op with friends

Thanks so much for all this detail about Original Sin 2, lollers - that sounds really interesting and I like the idea of not having the whole world revolve around the PC - it would be good to have a change to how BG's main plot unfolds. I like the sound of the story and character options in Original Sin 2 - so I'm definitely adding that to the list! :smile:
    Cruentuz wrote: »
    I don't understand OP's question...?
    What to play next?!

You restart from the beginning of course. With a different class. Pick some other NPCs, other gear, solve the quests another way.
    When you are done with that run...

You start all over again!
    Enjoy! ;)

LOL! :smiley: Yes, I'll definitely play through BG again - that's a given because I loved it so much. I'm going to pick a completely different class to my original PC and try all the NPCs I didn't recruit last time. Thanks!
    jsaving wrote: »
    Pillars of Eternity uses a thinly disguised version of the 4th edition D&D ruleset, so bear that in mind when deciding whether to give it a try. I personally find Pathfinder Kingmaker to be more in the spirit of Baldur's Gate than Pillars was, and would happily recommend it to those who enjoy the 3rd edition D&D ruleset on which Pathfinder is based. Finally, if humor is something you enjoy then you might also consider Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, a surprisingly strategic comedy-RPG that features unofficial cameos from several Baldur's Gate characters.

Thank you jsaving, good to know! I'm going to starts a play through of Pathfinder Kingmaker soon and Dungeon of Naheulbeuk sounds pretty good too.
    Ammar wrote: »
    As always it sort of depends what part of BG you enjoyed.

Generally, as people said the first NWN2 expansion MotB is really good. The main NWN2 campaign is pretty good as well in my opinion, but I think the first act in peculiar has some filler. Personally I feel it is much better by the time you get done with Owl's Well.

IWD is good if you mostly enjoyed the combats and music.

Then for more modern stuff both PoE and the Pathfinder games are good.

Thanks Ammar - that's helpful!
    lollers wrote: »
    All of the RPGs by Obsidian are quite good, though some of them aren't my style. I don't care for south park, and alpha protocol is quite bad at what it does unfortunately, but from the writing quality it is clearly an Obsidian game.

Thanks!
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    If it wasn't for the fact that armors and weapons look absolutely horrendous in Original Sin 2 i could recommend it.. but the game looks so, so bad.. and the combat can be extremely tedious. Especially when there's 5-6 or more enemy units.. god, you spend what feels like half an eternity sitting there waiting as each unit does it's derpy move and action.. ugh.

This is a fear I have with BG3. It looks ok, but the combat from DOS2 is just unbearable.

Pillars of Eternity is a good alternative to the BG games.
    Khyron wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the fact that armors and weapons look absolutely horrendous in Original Sin 2 i could recommend it.. but the game looks so, so bad.. and the combat can be extremely tedious. Especially when there's 5-6 or more enemy units.. god, you spend what feels like half an eternity sitting there waiting as each unit does it's derpy move and action.. ugh.

This is a fear I have with BG3. It looks ok, but the combat from DOS2 is just unbearable.

Pillars of Eternity is a good alternative to the BG games.

Thank you Khyron.