Skip to content

NWNEE HD Art Pack 1.00 shadows and load times.

I realize it's vacation time, so no hurry. This is just for the record.

Most of the torso (and some other) models do not cast shadows.
Hoping an updated version can be made, but again not in a hurry.

I have a computer that fits the description of High-end. NWN:EE freezes for about 200 to 500 milliseconds when it tries to load an HD model from the pack onto the screen. The game has always run like this, just think of chapter 2 when you open the door in Kendrack's Barracks. If freezes while it loads all the models without the HD pack. With the pack, it does that all over the place.

Not being a game developer, I can't say if this is even realistic, but this sounds like something that could be fixed with tessellation. I'm only suggesting this because I know that the game engine was made before tessellation was introduced.

Comments

• ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    First off: That's not official. I'm sure some time in January we will hear if there are plans to update the official pack.

Second off: It doesn't seem to have any effect on shadows. I would promote it if I saw any improvement, but for now, there's little value in downloading that pack from the vault.
  • zsouza13zsouza13 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2022
    Has there been any word on a fix for the shadows?
  • GeneraldraxeoGeneraldraxeo Member Posts: 2
    Incredible! The models and textures are really good! I'm noticing a glitch with the Robes of Fire Resistance where the head and hands are off-skewed somehow, but otherwise no other glitches!

I would love to see an HD re-texture of familiars and animals next if possible, would be cool to see my Wizard's pixie not be so blocky.
  • WinterniteWinternite Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2022
    ForSerious wrote: »
    First off: That's not official. I'm sure some time in January we will hear if there are plans to update the official pack.

Second off: It doesn't seem to have any effect on shadows. I would promote it if I saw any improvement, but for now, there's little value in downloading that pack from the vault.

I'm not even gonna comment on your first point, so were just gonna go straight to the 2nd one.

There are well over 20k individual models in the HD pack, we have community members working on fixing these shadows, you mentioned you had stuttering problems. The compiled version of the link provided to you compiles all models that should solve the stuttering, the stuttering can also come from the oversized plts, that are also being worked on.

Compiled models would quite possibly solve your stuttering issue.

Incredible! The models and textures are really good! I'm noticing a glitch with the Robes of Fire Resistance where the head and hands are off-skewed somehow, but otherwise no other glitches!

I would love to see an HD re-texture of familiars and animals next if possible, would be cool to see my Wizard's pixie not be so blocky.

The bug with the robe you are describing was fixed in the first reply of the thread.
    zsouza13 wrote: »
    Has there been any word on a fix for the shadows?

Working on it, you can follow discussions on the vault discord, and you can check here for additional info about the HD pack

https://nwn.wiki/display/NWN1/Beamdog+HD+Pack

We started to undertake the project of the HD pack since there is uncertainty from my part, and others that Bill will continue working on it.
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    edited January 2022
    Hey if NeverBlender has everything needed, I could probably get up to speed and be able to do some work. I also enjoy automating things with python.

This thread was mainly to make sure that Beamdog knows the most obvious issues with the pack, and hopefully hear if they're working on corrections. Even if it takes them over a year to get them to us, that's enough for me.

I, for one, am glad that Beamdog ignored the community patches (1.71 and 1.72) to NWN. Though loads of work was put into them, and some of the fixes found in them are still not in NWN:EE, Beamdog has potential to do a much better job. (And I hate the colored icons. [And aside from reinstalling, I could never get rid of them.]) That's why I was quick to point out that the fixes on the vault are not official.
  • ElGrilloElGrillo Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2023
    A bit reluctant to resurrect an old thread but I noticed this came up on a Google search for the HD pack. So, in case anyone stumbles across this - the Community-fixed version of the pack has had a huge amount of work done on it.

As of January 2023:
    Shadows were fixed, robes were fixed, and a whole new set of phenotype models created to fix the mounted phenotypes.
    Perhaps even more importantly, the performance issues have been fixed via an optional 'low-quality PLT' download.
    You can find the community-fixed version of the pack here: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/hakpak/original-hakpak/beamdogs-hd-art-pack-community-fixes

Also, because some of the HD pack's heads looked a bit weird/didn't quite capture the feel of the originals, one of our dedicated Vault dwellers, Tjured, has been making some incredible fixed versions of certain head models, which you can get here: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/hakpak/original-hakpak/tjureds-hd-pack-head-adjustments There may be more to come in the future.

Other 'HD' graphics overrides can also be found linked in the NWN subreddit FAQ: https://www.reddit.com/r/neverwinternights/comments/tmof98/