Skip to content

[MOD] Siege of Dragonspear 2 Baldur's Gate2:EE Item Upgrade - v2.0.5 released!

Comments

• Daeros_TrollkillerDaeros_Trollkiller Member Posts: 325
    Thank you for the feedback. I'm not sure what might be causing this other than possibly a mod conflict, or a save being loaded from a previous version of my mod. Faerie Fire is already in the spells.ids of SoD, but isn't learnable by PC's. (It's used by the drow party underneath Dragonspear if you choose to fight them). What my mod does first is add the spell (with modifications as a level 2 spell first, then add it again as a level one spell to get it to work correctly. When you add a spell with the exact same name as an existing spell, it removes the previous reference. If you happen to have an existing

If you can provide the install log, I will look it over and see if anything jumps out at me.

I've managed to carve out a bit of time to work on this mod some more. No big changes planned, mostly just minor fixes, and a few new icons/description images. Biggest change I am planning will be how the optional forced import component works, in order to make it more reliable.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited February 2022
    What my mod does first is add the spell (with modifications as a level 2 spell first, then add it again as a level one spell to get it to work correctly.

If one have already installed enough mods to fill the 50 spell slot on level 2, this will crash. Try ADD_SPELL_EX instead from https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/28835-toss-your-semi-useful-weidu-macros-here/page/7/#comment-268165

Also, Faerie Fire reports a sphere there.
    edited February 2022
    What my mod does first is add the spell (with modifications as a level 2 spell first, then add it again as a level one spell to get it to work correctly.

If one have already installed enough mods to fill the 50 spell slot on level 2, this will crash. Try ADD_SPELL_EX instead from https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/28835-toss-your-semi-useful-weidu-macros-here/page/7/#comment-268165

Also, Faerie Fire reports a sphere there.

I'll look into it, but cant guarantee anything, also, you have to think my mod adds very few spells, if anything I think the bigger ones should be using this first :)
    Post edited by Daeros_Trollkiller on
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Every little bit can help!
    Progress on the 2.03 update and what to expect as of now:

1. New description images and Icons for several items.

2. Rework of the optional component to force the normally importable items from SoD to be more reliable.

3. New animation for one or two spell effects.

Anything else at this time is going to be a "maybe".
    Thankee!
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,016
    Great to hear!
  • QuesterQuester Member Posts: 23
    Thinking of trying this mod out in a new playthrough, but I see you're working on an update. Any idea how far off that might be?
    Just posted it up!
  • Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
    edited June 2022
    @Daeros_Trollkiller

Hiho :)

Playing BG EE and using the component to add items from IWD and the new Spells to it, I made a few Observations:

1. Thalantyr is supposed to have the Scarlet/Blue Ioun Stone in his Stock right or is it on himself??? Cause it's not there.
    2. I never saw Kontik's Ring of Wizardry in the Secret Stash in front of Friendly Arm Inn. It was always Evermemory and I did quite a lot of Playthroughs and Installations.
    3. Sometimes The Ghost of Ulcaster doesn't grant the Ulcaster Academy Ring. If I play Good Aligned Characters he grants the Reward more often. I have the feeling if the Reputation is to low or the Protagonist is evil quite a few Items are not granted.
    4. Same with Tamah which should give you "Boots of the Forgotten Ones" but for some reason she didn't transfer the Item to my Human Lawful Evil Blackguard despite her saying I should take the Boots as Reward.
    5. I never found Glimglam's Cloak north of Wyrm's Crossing.

If you want I share my Weidu Log with you. I don't use much Mods :)
    SCS, Tweaks Anthology, Drake, Sirene, Aura, Verrsza, Walahnan, Artisan Kitpack, Vienxay, Emily, Helga, Kale, Recorder, Thrown Hammers from Spellhold Studio, NPC Project, Coran Friendship, Xan Friendship, Adjantis Extension, NPC Music, Shades of the Sword Coast, Endless BG, Mini Quest and Encounters, Lefreut's Enhanced UI, Monk Overhaul (faster Fist Progression), Forgotten Armament, your Mod and one Custom made Item and that's it basically.

Post edited by Wutan1988 on
    Wutan1988 wrote: »
    @Daeros_Trollkiller

Hiho :)

Playing BG EE and using the component to add items from IWD and the new Spells to it, I made a few Observations:

1. Thalantyr is supposed to have the Scarlet/Blue Ioun Stone in his Stock right or is it on himself??? Cause it's not there.
    2. I never saw Kontik's Ring of Wizardry in the Secret Stash in front of Friendly Arm Inn. It was always Evermemory and I did quite a lot of Playthroughs and Installations.
    3. Sometimes The Ghost of Ulcaster doesn't grant the Ulcaster Academy Ring. If I play Good Aligned Characters he grants the Reward more often. I have the feeling if the Reputation is to low or the Protagonist is evil quite a few Items are not granted.
    4. Same with Tamah which should give you "Boots of the Forgotten Ones" but for some reason she didn't transfer the Item to my Human Lawful Evil Blackguard despite her saying I should take the Boots as Reward.
    5. I never found Glimglam's Cloak north of Wyrm's Crossing.

If you want I share my Weidu Log with you. I don't use much Mods :)
    SCS, Tweaks Anthology, Drake, Sirene, Aura, Verrsza, Walahnan, Artisan Kitpack, Vienxay, Emily, Helga, Kale, Recorder, Thrown Hammers from Spellhold Studio, NPC Project, Coran Friendship, Xan Friendship, Adjantis Extension, NPC Music, Shades of the Sword Coast, Endless BG, Mini Quest and Encounters, Lefreut's Enhanced UI, Monk Overhaul (faster Fist Progression), Forgotten Armament, your Mod and one Custom made Item and that's it basically.

Thank you for the feedback! I will check on these the next time I am working on an update. For kontik's ring, its intended to be rare. The random roll takes place when you first enter the friendly arm inn area, so if you save right before going there for the first time, you can reload until you get the ring you want, if you want to metagame your run.

For the others, I've been made aware of a better, more compatible way to implement quest rewards in NPC dialogues, so I will be revisiting them for the next update. My suspicion, provided you started a new game after installing my mod, is there is an incompatibility somewhere with one of your other mods.

IMHO - I know I will get flamed for this, but I think the thrown hammers mod could have been implemented better, it just feels janky to me. I'm considering doing my own version of it, having it be an optional component in an update, then set a warning to not install thrown hammers with it.
    Hiho Daeros,

Thank you for making one of the best Item Mods with interesting new Items and stunning Visuals and Icons :)

Unfortunately my Playstyle (No Reload, except Bugs) doesn't allow me to reload before entering the Friendly Arm Inn Area but for Science i do it with my next Character. I like Randomised Loot if its implemented in a fair way (generally speaking that the Randomised Items are equally Powerfull) and your Implementation is fair and makes sense.

I installed all my Mods with Project Infinity. First i thought maybe Forgotten Armaments and your Mod has Conflicts but Morpheus explicitly stated that he made sure his Mod is compatible with yours. From all the Item Mods i installed yours Second, Forgotten Armament last and Hammers first.

When you would implement your own Version of the Thrown Hammers Mod would you randomise it to different shops as well???
    In general i think BG EE and SoD would benefit from more Magical Throwing Daggers and Hammers. Also new usefull Darts are always welcome too ;)

edited June 2022
    Ok I made a new Character (Barbarian) real quick and reload 20 times before entering the Friendly Arm Inn Area but it was always Evermemory. Do Kontik's Ring and Evermemory share the same Icon??? If i may ask what is the actual Dropchance of Kontik's Ring????

I have the Item in EE Keeper though.

The Mod of LavaDelVortel "Shades of the Swordcoast" only changes the Inside Area of Friendly Arm Inn a little bit and implements a Hidden Basement in it. The Stone with the Ring outside is untouched though i think.
    It should be a 1 in 3 chance. Ill have to check into it.
    Wutan1988 wrote: »
    Ok I made a new Character (Barbarian) real quick and reload 20 times before entering the Friendly Arm Inn Area but it was always Evermemory. Do Kontik's Ring and Evermemory share the same Icon??? If i may ask what is the actual Dropchance of Kontik's Ring????

I have the Item in EE Keeper though.

The Mod of LavaDelVortel "Shades of the Swordcoast" only changes the Inside Area of Friendly Arm Inn a little bit and implements a Hidden Basement in it. The Stone with the Ring outside is untouched though i think.

Found the issue, will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for pointing this out!
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    edited July 2022
    I have a question about the IWD spells that this mod imports. I used this mod last year (and quite liked it -- thanks!). But I can't now remember whether importing IWD spells is optional.

The reason I ask is that I now use SCS which also has the option to import IWD spells. (And sometimes IWDification as well, which also includes the option of importing IWD spells.).

I'd like to use the SCS version of IWD spells, since I assume that it is best integrated into NPCs' and enemies' tactics (as part of the increased difficulty of SCS). (But perhaps I'm mistaken in that assumption.)

So my questions:
    Is importing IWD spells an optional component (i.e., can I use the SCS or IWDification version instead)?
    If is is not optional, is this mod incompatible with the IWD component of SCS? Or does one override the other?

Thanks!

[Edited for clarity]
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
    I have a question about the IWD spells that this mod imports. I used this mod last year (and quite liked it -- thanks!). But I can't now remember whether importing IWD spells is optional.

The reason I ask is that I now use SCS which also has the option to import IWD spells. (And sometimes IWDification as well, which also includes the option of importing IWD spells.).

I'd like to use the SCS version of IWD spells, since I assume that it is best integrated into NPCs' and enemies' tactics (as part of the increased difficulty of SCS). (But perhaps I'm mistaken in that assumption.)

So my questions:
    Is importing IWD spells an optional component (i.e., can I use the SCS or IWDification version instead)?
    If is is not optional, is this mod incompatible with the IWD component of SCS? Or does one override the other?

Thanks!

[Edited for clarity]

This mod only implements a couple of spells from IWD, and it checks the spells.ids to see if they are already present before adding them.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    This mod only implements a couple of spells from IWD, and it checks the spells.ids to see if they are already present before adding them.

Brilliant -- thanks! :)

I am preparing the next update, which will mostly consist of fixes for issues pointed out with the current version, and a re-implementation of how items are given via quest rewards for better compatibility with other mods.

I may re-visit item and spell balance as well if I have the time, and I would appreciate suggestions on what is overpowered, and how or in what way it's overpowered. Thanks!
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 57
    I may re-visit item and spell balance as well if I have the time, and I would appreciate suggestions on what is overpowered, and how or in what way it's overpowered. Thanks!

Not to be facetious, but this depends on your metric for balancing, and the mod as a whole is pretty clearly aimed at the upper end. Looking at just what stands out to me as the most obvious:
    • Dervish Crescent of Speed +3/+5, Severance +3/+5, Silver Dragon Helm. Even being just +2 weapons, Belm and Kundane are among the strongest weapons in the game. Them being just +2 is significant because it means there is a good chunk of the strong enemies they can't hurt at all. I think giving extra attacks without this limiter is a bridge too far. I do not include bulwark of the egons +4 here because it is just a shield and requires giving up the very strong improved mace of disruption.
    • Heartwood Rings, Sorcerers Cap/Chappeau. Casting speed is very powerful, and vanilla limited it to just two items. Proliferating casting speed in any way if a major buff to the player. The sorcerer hats are also very strong even without counting the casting speed, because they are adding high level spell slots at the cost of what is normally a very minor item slot.
    • Green Dragon Helm: +4 to saves is too much for a helmet, even if it costs dragon scales to make.
    • Martyr's Morningstar and Silver Dragon Blade: high-end weapons with brutal on-critical hit effects that do not end at saveless stun, in a game with a HLA that guarantees critical hits. They also give a big bonus to crit chance for the iconoclast using Whirlwind. Who needs Ravager?
    • Trollkillers Fireball: 16d6 fireball is way above par for a level 4 spell, and this does even more than that. Save or panic with a negative modifier is a strong rider effect on a strong spell. Also, keep in mind that you are adding a powerful offensive spell to a level which doesn't have many of those. The most comparable damage spell is Force Missiles with IWDification, and that does less damage, is blocked entirely by Shield, and has no bonus effects.
    • Ko'Dezza's Multi-Fireball: Horrid Wilting, the gold standard of level 8 arcane nukes, caps out at 20d6. From the description of Multi-Fireball: "a level 22 wizard can fire four fireballs each doing 10d6 fire damage at level 22." This is not party-safe, but fire damage is one of the easiest to reach 100% resistance and the player wants a lot of it in the normal course of play because it's one of the more common damage types from enemies.
    • Ko'Dezza's Caustic Shell: Fireshield is a level 4 spell, this should be too.
    edited July 2022
    I don't know in the past Daeros changed a Longsword (which had similar Characteristics of the Derwish Crescent) into said Scimitar and a few people were kinda said the old Longsword was gone. The +3 Upgrade for Derwish Crescent comes a bit early with no significant Enemy to defeat but for the +5 Version you have to kill Saladrex of Watchers Keep Level 4 and at this point of the Game I don't think it's much of a difference cause it's late Endgame. Is it Powerfull? Heck yes but so is Flail of the Ages and I think Weapons are allowed to be strong late ToB or when you reach Level 25+ in general.

Same with Severance last upgrade which is in Saradush and you get the Item you need near Kiser.

I don't know delay the First Upgrade Path of both Weapons a bit or increase the Price a bit. You could also change the Components for the Items around so another strong weapon can't be made and a Choice is required.

I agree that Ko'Dezza's might be to strong damage wise. On the other Hand Fire Damage is one of the most commonly resisted Damage Types by Enemies not like Horrid Wilting which is magical Damage.

For what Difficulty Setting is the Balance aimed is the Question.

SCS on Higher Difficulties throws more Stuff at you then the Base Game. That's the Reason Balancing is so difficult. What some people think is OP others don't and vice versa I guess.

Not to be facetious, but this depends on your metric for balancing, and the mod as a whole is pretty clearly aimed at the upper end.

Yes, I do suppose I should include some kind of metric on this ask, thank you for pointing it out. In a nutshell, for this pass, I am looking for feedback on items and spells that are blatantly and obviously overpowered for their spell level (for spells,) the task that has be completed to obtain them (spells and items), and the point in the game during which they can first be obtained during what most would consider a "normal" playthrough in comparison to the gear and spells that are already attainable in the vanilla game without any mods.

So, I ask for feedback through the lens of that type of gameplay if possible.
    Fishmalk_1 wrote: »

Not to be facetious, but this depends on your metric for balancing, and the mod as a whole is pretty clearly aimed at the upper end. Looking at just what stands out to me as the most obvious:
    • Dervish Crescent of Speed +3/+5, Severance +3/+5, Silver Dragon Helm. Even being just +2 weapons, Belm and Kundane are among the strongest weapons in the game. Them being just +2 is significant because it means there is a good chunk of the strong enemies they can't hurt at all. I think giving extra attacks without this limiter is a bridge too far. I do not include bulwark of the egons +4 here because it is just a shield and requires giving up the very strong improved mace of disruption.
    • Heartwood Rings, Sorcerers Cap/Chappeau. Casting speed is very powerful, and vanilla limited it to just two items. Proliferating casting speed in any way if a major buff to the player. The sorcerer hats are also very strong even without counting the casting speed, because they are adding high level spell slots at the cost of what is normally a very minor item slot.
    • Green Dragon Helm: +4 to saves is too much for a helmet, even if it costs dragon scales to make.
    • Martyr's Morningstar and Silver Dragon Blade: high-end weapons with brutal on-critical hit effects that do not end at saveless stun, in a game with a HLA that guarantees critical hits. They also give a big bonus to crit chance for the iconoclast using Whirlwind. Who needs Ravager?
    • Trollkillers Fireball: 16d6 fireball is way above par for a level 4 spell, and this does even more than that. Save or panic with a negative modifier is a strong rider effect on a strong spell. Also, keep in mind that you are adding a powerful offensive spell to a level which doesn't have many of those. The most comparable damage spell is Force Missiles with IWDification, and that does less damage, is blocked entirely by Shield, and has no bonus effects.
    • Ko'Dezza's Multi-Fireball: Horrid Wilting, the gold standard of level 8 arcane nukes, caps out at 20d6. From the description of Multi-Fireball: "a level 22 wizard can fire four fireballs each doing 10d6 fire damage at level 22." This is not party-safe, but fire damage is one of the easiest to reach 100% resistance and the player wants a lot of it in the normal course of play because it's one of the more common damage types from enemies.
    • Ko'Dezza's Caustic Shell: Fireshield is a level 4 spell, this should be too.

[*]Silver Dragon Helm - I didn't see anything about this one other than the name mentioned, could you be more specific?

[*] Heartwood Rings, Sorcerers Cap/Chappeau. - I've seen the casting speed thing brought up before, and I certainly get it on the mage side of things, but is this an issue for druids and clerics? I don't recall there being much in the way of casting speed improvements for them.

[*] Trollkillers Fireball - I specifically made this one level 4 for the very reason you mentioned, lack of options for damage spells at this level. I am personally more attached to the "riders" of this spell, so I don't think lowering the damage would be too big of a deal. Might just cut it in half.

[*] Ko'Dezza's Multi-Fireball - I'll consider lowering the damage, but is 100% fire resistance on the whole party something readily attainable, without making some sacrifices in other areas?
    edited July 2022
    Silver Dragon Helmet: I think Fishmalk means the +1/2 Attack per Round on the Helmet cause he included it in the same Section as the two APR Weapons. I kinda agree with him not having APR on Equipment which isn't Weapons cause there is already the Gauntlets of Weapon Mastery. I disagree about the Weapons.
    You could make the APR Bonus of the Helmet, Class Specific so only a few benefit from it instead of being an universal buff for all classes.

For Clerics and Druids I don't see a Problem in terms of the Heartwood Ring. I agree about the Sorcerer's Cap cause then even Spells with Cast Time of 9 are almost instant in Combination with Vecna and Amulet of Power.

Ko'Dezza's Multi Fireball: Using Project Image it would be easy buffing the whole Party with Protection from Fire. If the Enemy dispels the group with Remove Magic that can backfire though. I would suggest lowering the Damage but keep it at least on par with Horrid Wilting or slightly above cause it's a Damage Type more commonly resisted.
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 57
    Silver Dragon Helm: Not a weapon, but another item with minimal restrictions that gives more attacks plus other benefits. Its an effect I think is just too strong for a helmet without having to give up something very powerful for it. I'm not convinced the silver dragon scales qualify, given there are more dragons than most parties need platemail, but if you feel otherwise then fine.

Heartwood Ring: Divine spells in general have long casting times compared to arcane spells. I see that as intentional. Nature's Beauty should not be easy to cast in a good position.

Multi-Fireball: 100% fire resistance is one protection from cold/fire, a level 2 divine spell, and one protection from fire, a level 3 arcane and divine spell. The odd item with fire resistance on it can cut this down to one spell needed for a party member or two. Very feasible for a party with 2.5 - 3 casters which I would say is pretty standard, and a hoop well worth jumping through for a double-damage horrid wilting at spell level 7.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    I like the item variety that this mod provides including for end game items. It’s really not fun for me if I use flail of ages or carsormyr etc. every time I play the game. So this mod providing alternatives to end game items is a great thing for me. And I hope Daeros will keep this.

Also, I like that this mod provides alternative good items with different effects that are not found in other items of the same category. For example silver dragon helm and heartwood rings. And I disagree with the opinion of just because there is Robe of Vecna, there shouldn’t be any other items that provide casting time reduction. I dont want to have to use Robe of Vecna every time I play, and this variety is fun for me.

About spells, I also think some need nerfing. Because if they are extremely obvious choices for their level, it becomes tempting to fill all spells of that level with those spells and I dont think this is good. But I like that Ko’Dezza’s Caustic Shell is not the same level as other fire shields, because that also provides variety and I will not fill all my 3rd level slots with that spell in any case.

These are just my opinions, I’m in no way saying all of what I say is right. In any case, I like this mod a lot and thank you Daeros for implementing and maintaining it
    edited July 2022
    At least in my time playing vanilla(ish) BG2, Incendiary Cloud did more theoretical damage (fire) than Horrid Wilting (magic), but foes seemingly never took damage from Incendiary Cloud because it was fire damage. How much that impacts your multi-fireball spell is up to you.

I am very for damage spells at every level that lacks them because variety. (15d6 for Trollkiller's Fireball is probably about what the damage formulas would allow for this level.)

I am also pro-variety in itemization. Some people will combine stuff even further for more optimization. Some people will do otherwise. Give people options and let them handle the situation, allowing them to 'self-correct' as prudent.
    edited July 2022
    I really appreciate all the feedback so far on this, and it's what I had hoped I would see. By that I mean both pros and cons in terms of balance.

****edit**** I wanted to add, and I am sure many wont agree, I absolutely despise the HLAs in BG2. They make a huge mess out of trying to balance gear, and wreck endgame encounters and gear progression. It would be one thing for the Bhaalspawn to have special abilities, in a limited way, but having them for everyone is just too much. It's the one thing in these games I actually hate. That being said, I can't expect other players to have the same opinion of them, or choose to play without them, as I do.
    v2.0.4 is up!