Skip to content

Can't access data folder on Android 12

Hi,
I'm having a similar issue as this user here:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/83091/android-11-data-file-issues#latest

I have BGIIEE on my Pixel 6 running Android 12 and I'm not able to transfer the saves I copied from my chomebook.

I am able to find the BGIIEE app data folder in android, but it appears to be empty and no files can be copied over. Permissions of folder are 700. This is the *only* folder in the android/data folder that can not be accessed.

I am unable to copy anything over via USB either. Again, I can find the BGIIEE app data folder but it appears empty and attempting to copy anything over gives me a "device disconnected" error. I am able to copy things to any other subfolder in the /data/android/ folder.

If I uninstall BGIIEE from my phone, I can manually create the app folder and copy over saves. However, as soon as I reinstall BGIIEE from the play store it erases the files I copied over and the folder is empty and write protected again.

Any ideas? I'd love to continue playing my game but I'm having issues getting this working.

Comments

• Cuttooth_Cuttooth_ Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2021
    I figured it out! Kind of.

If anyone else is having this issue and is reading this thread, try deleting the storage/cache of BGIIEE. You can find this option under app info in the app drawer or by searching for the app under settings. This completely removed the com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition folder from Android/Data, so you may need to create this folder (and files) before copying your saves/customization folders over.

For whatever reason it seems like BGIIEE is setting restrictive permissions on the folder and deleting it through android restores normal read/write permissions.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Edit: forgot to mention, this will probably delete any existing saves you have on your phone so proceed with caution
    Post edited by Cuttooth_ on
  • YahveYahve Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the tip, however it doesn't solve the issue for Icewind Dale on Android 12 / Samsung Galaxy S21 ultra.
    Do you have any other ideas, or anyone out there?
    The data/com.beamdog.icewindDale shows up completely empty, with no write permissions.
  • ReavesReaves Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same problem. I managed to access using the clear data/cache method but then I can't transfer the other way which is pointless if you wish to play on multiple devices.

It doesn't impact my original install on my Galaxy Tab but my new phone has this restriction.