Skip to content

MacOS 10.13.6 vs NWN EE 8193.32+

KaltripKaltrip Member Posts: 19
I'm trying to help diagnose a problem for a friend. They use an old version of MacOS, High Sierra, 10.13.6 but were fine running the NWN EE client until the 8193.32 update. Now if they try and run multiplayer, as soon as they try and connect to a server they get a message "NWN EE has encountered a fatal error and cannot continue" and then the client crashes. They see the same behavior with the 8193.33 patch. Is anyone else running on High Sierra and if so are you having the same problem? Alternatively does anyone know of a workaround for this?

Comments

• cashoxcashox Member Posts: 2
    So this may come a bit late for some players, but i have found a workaround to avoid the multiplayer game server screen game crash on apple computers - so instead of clicking the join internet game button click the 'join lan game' after you visited this page:

https://nwn.beamdog.net/

and chosen a server you would like to join - then click 'direct connect' and input the server IP number after which it will ask you for your game user/tag which is basically your steam username and then it SHOULD work ... fingers crossed, a bit annoying because you have to save the ip number and associate it to the server you are using or just do this procedure every time instead of being able to click it in the server list on NWN, but ok im accustomed to this manoeuvre because i am a long time NWN player and used to do this for other legacy servers with the non enhanced version.

Anyway, hopefully, with this tip you can enjoy NWN again ! :steamhappy::steamhappy:
  • SkeckulousSkeckulous Member Posts: 2
    Having the same problem and submitted a bug (which was closed). I assume this is a known issue and hopefully there will be a patch solution sometime in the near future.
    If anyone else finds a better solution would love to hear it and thanks for the workaround!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Have you tried it on the recent 8193.34 version?
  • cashoxcashox Member Posts: 2
    16waoarw9pgi.jpg

is the one that bugs out - but as i mentioned above, going via the direct connect option in lan gaming works. just not server browser option...
  • KaltripKaltrip Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the reply. I recently found the "Join LAN Game" workaround myself and was going to update things here, but you beat me to it. I believe this is still happening in the latest version of NWN:EE available on Steam. If other people are seeing the same problem and Beamdog are aware then I guess it may be fixed in a future release. Otherwise I wondered if it could be a failing DNS lookup that is triggering it caused by something like pi-hole, but I have no way of testing that.
  • SkeckulousSkeckulous Member Posts: 2
    Another option for everyone is to try Porting Kit (Wine Wrappers). They have a good one for Steam and you wrap steam and then just install via the wrapped Steam.
    This also gives you access to the toolset, which is HUGE for me.
    Sadly not a real Mac solution but it's the best option I have found.