Skip to content

Suggestion for softcoding some class features

LeonardoDFLeonardoDF Member Posts: 2
edited February 2022 in Builders - Scripting
1 - Really need a field on Classes.2DA to help engine determining GetCasterLevel for a class. Could be like the Impact script field for spells.
2 - Same scripting field for determining Feats uses per day (eg: turn undead based on a set of uses + charisma modifier, Stunning fists determined by monk levels, etc).

I saw a lot of people having to customize/rewrite dispells behavior and SR checks for their custom spells just because the engine hardcode Spell Caster Levels...

Thanks.

Comments

• TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    Spell scripts use GetCasterLevel() to determine the appropriate casting class and levels for purposes of damage, duration, beating SR and resisting dispel checks.

The problem is adding casting levels from custom classes requires rewriting a bunch of scripts and even then, it may not be perfect. Seems like if I want to make a Mage Knight fighter subclass and have some of its levels contribute to arcane casting it should be easier.

So yes, I agree. There should be direct way to modify casting levels.
  • ThanatosZeroThanatosZero Member Posts: 17
    Terrorble wrote: »
    Spell scripts use GetCasterLevel() to determine the appropriate casting class and levels for purposes of damage, duration, beating SR and resisting dispel checks.

The problem is adding casting levels from custom classes requires rewriting a bunch of scripts and even then, it may not be perfect. Seems like if I want to make a Mage Knight fighter subclass and have some of its levels contribute to arcane casting it should be easier.

So yes, I agree. There should be direct way to modify casting levels.
    The Player Resource Consortium managed to give prestige classes a true continued spellcasting progression for the dominant spellcasting class (including the working Practiced Spellcaster feat), albeit I currently struggle how to make other prestige classes give a increase in a CL.
    Otherwise spells per day and spells known work fine, thanks to vanilla NWN's classes.2DA file and the PRC hak packs.

Speaking of PRC, there is the prc_include.hak file, which contains the prc_inc_castlvl.nss file, which determines caster level progressions, even as far as changing the CL progressions for Paladin and Ranger, so that it becomes half.
    I mimiced how it was written down, so that even a Arcane Archer gives any arcane caster a increase in CLs, but for some odd reasons this doesn't seem to work.
    Either ...
    1. I didn't import it properly
    2. Didn't put the files in the approciate override folder
    3. I made a mistake during the mimicing process
    or
    4. Another files are needed to be modified

in any case, it would be marvelous, to get some pathfinder 1e flavor in.