Skip to content

Can YOU one shot Firkraag?

So this is a bit of an unusual first post, but I was so stunned that this worked I had to share it - and a critical hit to boot! :)

Don't be afraid to post your own Epic dragon slaying moments!

Comments

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Wait, he only had 20 HP? That doesn't sound right.
  • ElofElof Member Posts: 42

Quivering Palm = save or die. :)
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Pff. I remember my assassin could win ANY fight without even moving, let alone attacking. Spike traps FTW :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I got the Quivering Palm to work on him once, too. It was nice, as every other attempt ended in a dead CHARNAME
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    There has to be a balance struck. On the one hand, you don't want fights that are intended to be difficult to be ridiculously easy because of a single spell/ability (I remember how abusive traps could be, insta-killing spawning enemies).

I also remember finger of deathing a dragon (it felt like I had cheated, and was distinctly unsatisfying).

On the other hand you don't want to artificially hem the experience by introducing silly resistances/protections. I always find it deeply off-putting when a spell or ability says it will kill instantly, or achieve some other effect, but for some unknown reason has no effect on a target.

I think many of these problems can be resolved with simple a.i. enhancements, which I believe we are going to see. Things like the a.i being allowed to open doors, enemies pre-buffing on higher difficulties etc
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Removing lvl cap just makes the game too easy, it's God Mode Light.

or rolling for 2 hours to get all 18 stats, I get really turned off.

Never understood ppl who wasted THAT much time on rerolling, as one can just copy endless tomes into the game and that way boost stats.

That said, I think the system itself needs revision, too attractive to have high stats and having low stats are too limiting.

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Greater Malison and Doom combined with stuff like Quivering Palm or Chromatic Orb have been popular vanilla tactics for a long time.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Elof said:

Quivering Palm = save or die. :)
    Ah.
    I've never played a monk before, so I didn't know. :)
  • CWheezyCWheezy Member Posts: 9

Quite honestly, I'm not impressed by things like this. When I read all of the post about players wanting to unbalance the game by having no level cap, or rolling for 2 hours to get all 18 stats, I get really turned off.

Maybe I'm old fashion but I play the game it was intended to be played.

If rolling to get all 18 stats was not intended, then why is it allowed.

Also balance in baulder's gate? Ha ha ha ha, casters are totally fair
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    My 1st BG2 playthrough Viconia killed Firkraag with a Finger of Death spell. He was barely injured at the time, so I guess it wasn't really a one hit kill per se, but it was close.

On a related note, it's easy to kill Kangaxx in one hit if you time the Dragon Breath spell correctly. If you start casting it just before he starts talking it will go off as soon as he turns into the floating skull, but before he gets his magical protections up. The result is enough damage to kill him instantly.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Whatever, quivering palm is a totally legitimate way to kill a dragon. Especially if you are solo playing a monk.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    What's impressive is the OP initiated the dialogue option to get Firkraag hostile. Didn't just walk up and quivering palm his big red behind.
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    They really shouldn't have made that skill a save or die in the rules book. Far too cheap even for me.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    It's legit. In the Baltzaar battle, there is no saving throw when he uses quivering palm (tiger strike?). Now that's cheap.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Tiger strike is increased critical chance and knockback+stun, it can't instakill you.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    must be a different move then. Baltzaar does use quivering palm. He has one shot my party members before.
    I've experienced insta-kills from Balthazar as well. I don't remember what the move was called, but he would kick them.

Some of his monks also insta-killed my party members in the same manner in Amkethran when that army of monks attack outside the monastery gates.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    are you guys playing vanilla ToB? because i have never seen balthazar one shot my guys, but usually my guys cant fail a save vs death to save their life so that might be the reason why
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012

or rolling for 2 hours to get all 18 stats, I get really turned off.

Rolling to get all 18s? LOL, you press CTRL - 8 to do that. People roll for 2 hours to get all 15 - 16 stats, some enjoy doing it to make natural powerful characters.
    HexHammer said:

Never understood ppl who wasted THAT much time on rerolling, as one can just copy endless tomes into the game and that way boost stats.

You know the game has a built in cheat code via enabling the console in the INI and pressing CTRL - 8 to get all 18 stats? Also shadowkeeper is simple to use and can give you all 25s if you want, nobody rolls to get all 18 stats, thats just daft and it would never happen.
    This has happened to my party members both in vanilla ToB and with SCS installed. Viconia and Sarevok got insta-killed in Amkethran in vanilla ToB right outside the monastery gates. A big group of monks swarmed around them and kicked them both. They were killed instantly despite having full health.

In the battle with Balthazar I've often experienced insta-kills both in the vanilla game and more recently with SCS installed. I usually try to keep my characters out of reach of Balthazar and only use ranged attacks. I let summoned creatures fight him up close since almost every time he gets close someone dies no matter how much health they have. I play on the 'insane' difficulty level, so maybe that makes a difference.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Shin said:

Greater Malison and Doom combined with stuff like Quivering Palm or Chromatic Orb have been popular vanilla tactics for a long time.

Also dont forget Glittering dust, thats another -4. I soloed on a Cleric / Illusionist once and you could stack doom / greater malison and glitterdust inside spell triggers, but I had no finger of death. But Chromatic Orb managed just fine, or disintegrate on Golems.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @ARKdeEREH weird, i have never been insta killed by a quivering palm ever, and i have been playing this game quite religiously since 1999
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Title: "Can YOU one shot Firkraag?"
    Response: "Would ANYONE care?"
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    I never liked save or death spells / effects / abilities, I don't feel any sense of achievement when I kill something with a Finger of Death or Quivering Palm. I like killing via damage.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012

Quite honestly, I'm not impressed by things like this. When I read all of the post about players wanting to unbalance the game by having no level cap, or rolling for 2 hours to get all 18 stats, I get really turned off.

Maybe I'm old fashion but I play the game it was intended to be played.

Abdel, internal save of Bioware BG1( Mission Pack Save ).

Stats : Str - 18/90, Dex - 19, Con - 19, Int - 7, Wis - 6, Cha - 20

2 tomes used for Dec,Con, remaining for Str, Int, Wisx3, Cha. Dump stats are dump, rest are sky high.

I just had to say it :P
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    While instakilling stuff maybe a bit anticlimactic, it does give you a sense that the game is fair. If some spell is supposed kill stuff with one hit, albeit with a low chance, then it should do exactly that even on a bit tougher opponents.

If I remember correctly smarter AIs or improved dragon mods etc. do make dragons cast death ward on themselves to keep the fair play intact and make a bit harder to "ruin" epic battles.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    One-hitting enemy bosses is just as legit as is them one hitting you really.

Lich : "Hey jerkface, you just woke me up!"
    PC : "Sorry, I'll just leav--"
    Lich : "OH HELL NO! *disintegrates PC* Now then, back to sleep!"

CONGRATULATIONS LICH - you broke Irenicus' master plan nice and easy!