Skip to content

List of Game Improvements for 2022 and Beyond

hsenparhsenpar Member Posts: 59
These are most critical and should be part of BG:EE core game, not of any community mod.

1. Solo Community QoL

1.1 Obnoxious Imoen at the start of BG:EE and BG2:EE
- New BG:EE: Add a dialogue option that makes her not join the party and walk off to Friendly Arm Inn by herself.
- New BG2:EE: Add a dialogue option that makes her not join the party and walk off to Waukeen's Promenade by herself.
1.2 End of BG:EE SoD Campaign
- New: At the very end of BG:EE SoD campaign all companions that reunite with the protagonist should stay out of the party, instead of forcing themselves in without an invitation!

2. Worst-designed Combat Encounters

2.1 The Karoug Werewolf on Balduran Isle, BG:EE ToSC
- New: Can be damaged with any 'Magical Weapon' (+1 or higher) to match what the villagers on the island say.
2.2 Sarevok & The Co, BG:EE Finale
- New: Remove the potential to abuse 'fog of war' to fight the enemies 1 at a time. That strategy should not work in an open-area sanctuary against any human-like creatures, and especially when it comes to the game finale. For the Sarevok fight, copy/paste parts of the "group-think AI" that the presumably much dumber skeletons from BG:EE SoD Prologue area use, or implement an alternative solution.
- New: The fight (and the game) does not end before Sarevok and all of his companions have fallen. (a special shout out to speed-runners <3)
2.3 Shadow Aspect, BG:EE SoD
- New: Implement his spells as proper spells instead of supplying it with an infinite number of innate abilities that by-pass game's rules (i.e. Silence applies to Shadow Aspect but has no intended effect, Player's 100% magic resistance doesn't fully mitigate the Shadow Aspect's Larloch's Minor drain).
- New: Failing the above, and by absolute minimum, the cool-down of the Mislead ability should be increased from 0 to something higher. What it takes to beat the enemy today is borderline abuse of game's tick-based timing mechanics and such steps do not add up to an interesting challenge: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1184220#Comment_1184220
2.4 Belhifet, BG:EE SoD
- New: Can be damaged with any 'Magical Weapon' (+1 or higher) to make it a better fit for the Level Cap of 10 (Fighter). Amelyssan at the very end of ToB requires +3 or higher to hit; it's absurd that the same requirement would apply to damage Belhifet at this point of the saga. For a fighter that goes from Level 1 to 40 over the entire saga, the requirement of +1 at level 10 mark is about right. Requirement of +2 is far too high at this point of the game since, and the chosen requirement of +3 is not worth a debate.
- New: Implement his spells as proper spells instead of supplying it with an infinite number of innate abilities that by-pass game's rules (i.e. his targeted fire spell penetrating scroll of Magic Protection)

What are your thoughts? Are any of the above contentious?

Regards,

Post edited by hsenpar on

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I mean, most of these changes seem unnecessary at best, and highly tailored to your particular foibles at worst.

But I'm not sure it's even guaranteed there's gonna be another patch. Last time I saw a Beamdog staffer speak on the subject they said something like "if we get greenlit for another patch" which made me think it's possible we're looking at the final release here.
  • hsenparhsenpar Member Posts: 59
    edited April 2022
    @Chronicler

Nah and nah, these are uncontentious configuration changes, and close to addressing a bug for all but #1.1 and #1.2! What remains of BG in 2022 is the power-gaming community interested in stuff like solo play-throughs, and given that the original game was not designed for that in mind, Imoen---and not Sarevok, Melissan or Bhaal--has become the main villain of the series. But of course, everyone's entitled to a different opinion. ;)

v2.6.6 Being the final release would be sad, but economically fair given the already-generous 6 years of patches for SoD and 10 for the BG:EE base game. Staying tuned for official announcements, but until then, some hope remains.

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    What remains of BG in 2022 is the power-gaming community interested in stuff like solo play-throughs
    No.
    edited April 2022
    TheArtisan wrote: »
    What remains of BG in 2022 is the power-gaming community interested in stuff like solo play-throughs
    No.

Welcome to play however you like! Do you have an issue with me having the option to tell Imoen to bug off?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited April 2022
    Ah, yes, where would I fit in the community...

I play themed runs. Sometimes mechanical challenges, sometimes roleplay-driven.
    Beat BGEE in as little in-game time as possible (day 13)? Check. Oh, and that included a really cheesy finish, killing Sarevok with a wand-wielding ferret. At no point in that "fight" were any enemies both hostile and capable of taking actions.
    Beat BGEE with a ridiculously overleveled party of Entar, Belt, Liia, Kelddath, and Imoen? Check. Heavy roleplay on that one to keep it interesting, as it wasn't a challenge.
    Beat the saga with a party built around literally killing enemies with fire, and counting that? Check.
    Beat the saga, with the difficulty-increasing SCS mod, while never allowing party members to cast arcane or divine spells? Check.
    Beat the saga with Dorn as the protagonist, exploring what playing the villain can do? In progress.

I also make mods now; that latest run serves as a field test for my tweak mod, and I've tinkered for some time before that.

On your "fixes" for combat encounters ...
    2.1: No. Regular werewolves already require magic weapons to hit. It's fine having unique bosses with special mechanics like this. This one's practically iconic by now.
    2.2: Not in the base game. Play SCS or something if you want that change.
    2.3: No. Innate/forced spellcasting on certain monsters are a perfectly normal part of the game, as are the occasional MR-ignoring spell. Well, maybe the part about allowing you to get a decent attack window if you beat down the Mislead clone rather than using True Seeing or a thief's Detect Illusion. But still, that's half of the core classes that can do it; practically any party should have the tools for this fight if they do even basic preparation, and it's an optional boss anyway.
    2.4: No. See 2.1. Also, you're way off on the magic weapon progression in this saga. You get high enchantment levels a lot faster than that. In my current run, I took on the de'Arnise Keep first among the stronghold quests, and five out of six party members had the +3 weapons needed to hit the Iron Golem (Lilarcor, Stonefire, Kneecapper, Blade of Roses, Flail of Ages). Only one of those was outside proficiency preferences, too - Anomen using Kneecapper because he didn't have a +3 mace yet. And before that, it's not hard to outfit a party fully in +2 or better weapons by the end of the main BGEE campaign. Belhifet doesn't even require +3 to hit unless you play at high difficulty.
    hsenpar wrote: »
    What remains of BG in 2022 is the power-gaming community interested in stuff like solo play-throughs...

A common pattern of thought, and flawed. "This is what I do, and I follow the other people that do this - so it must be what everyone's doing." It doesn't work that way. The community is broader than the slice you're paying attention to. What we see on forums like this is the tip of the iceberg.
    Post edited by jmerry on
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2022
    hsenpar wrote: »
    TheArtisan wrote: »
    No.

Welcome to play however you like! Do you have an issue with me having the option to tell Imoen to bug off?

I am pointing out you are arguing on a flawed--no, scratch that, flat out incorrect premise by making this sort of statement as reasoning for needing these kind of changes to be forcibly built into the game. These changes are NOT critical. Personally, I don't think any of these changes would make my experience playing the game better. Learn to script mods if they bother you personally.

I think it's ironic that you're suggesting I want to enforce gameplay on you in regards to Imoen because apparently clicking that reform party button is too much effort, when by saying these changes are critical and should be patched in, it is you who are trying to enforce your gameplay upon others.
    edited April 2022
    @TheArtisan
    I am pointing out you are arguing on a flawed--no, scratch that, flat out incorrect premise by making this sort of statement as reasoning for needing these kind of changes to be forcibly built into the game. These changes are NOT critical. Personally, I don't think any of these changes would make my experience playing the game better. Learn to script mods if they bother you personally.

I think it's ironic that you're suggesting I want to enforce gameplay on you in regards to Imoen because apparently clicking that reform party button is too much effort, when by saying these changes are critical and should be patched in, it is you who are trying to enforce your gameplay upon others.

----

Curb back on your arguing. Are you a sissy boy who reads Paul Krugman articles? Just get the F out of this thread.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited April 2022
    This thread is imho going nowhere really fast.

This is an internet forum. People are certainly welcome to voice their opinion; but I hope we can find a tone where we all feel included an d welcome. It has been a tradition om this site for quite some time, that we moderate our tone - before discussions gets out of hand. I hope we can uphold this

I am not pointing fingers at any body, but I hope you will all welcome each others input and acknowledge that we play and enjoy the game in different ways. And keep calm
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I firmly support dropping Belhifets immunity down to +2 (for whatever difficulties require +3). My first game of SoD I couldn't hurt him, I had to reload and memorize a bunch of create magic weapon spells. I remember being a paladin and looting Sundermaul, "oof, 2% chance of earthquake centered on myself, safer to keep using Ashideena and +2 Warhammer."
    edited April 2022
    MERLANCE wrote: »
    I firmly support dropping Belhifets immunity down to +2 (for whatever difficulties require +3). My first game of SoD I couldn't hurt him, I had to reload and memorize a bunch of create magic weapon spells. I remember being a paladin and looting Sundermaul, "oof, 2% chance of earthquake centered on myself, safer to keep using Ashideena and +2 Warhammer."

Belhifet is the same development mistake made with Karoug the Werewolf 10 years before. Didn't read a walk-through? Reload and repeat!

The wolf requires a specific weapon from a 5-long laundry list, three of which are not on the island. One is behind the werewolf, so realistically, you're left with a single dagger at the point of encounter, unless you read a walk-through and know to sneak a thief past the villain to snatch the Balduran's Bastard Sword. The nay-sayers here would have me beat on the argument if there were proper lead-up indicators built into the story line so that the player who pays attention knows what's required to hurt the special enemy ahead.