Skip to content

Modules with great open area design, rewarding exploration and many side quests?

OlivierLerouxOlivierLeroux Member Posts: 3
edited June 2020 in NWN:EE Modules
Hi there! Since the NW Vault forums don't have a module discussion section and the community is split across several websites now, I guess this is the best place to ask module questions nowadays?

I've played quite a lot of NWN modules back in the days, about a decade ago, but I've also missed quite a few classics and hidden gems, and I'm currently trying to catch up a bit on those. At the moment, I'm mostly in the mood for modules that aren't strictly linear but allow you to explore on your own and do a lot of side quests or even discover interesting thing just by poking around. I'm also looking for a certain level of quality in the area design that makes exploration feel rewarding, meaning attention to details, environmental story-telling, a good variety of everything and comparatively compact design - no large maps with lots of empty space to run across; preferably few trash mobs, but unique encounters; also good dialogues but not an overwhelming lot of it with walls and walls of text.

Examples of modules like these that I've most recently played with the EE: Darkness Over Daggerford, The Wanderer, Cormyrean Nights, A Tangled Web 1&2, maybe Eye of the Beholder (sadly Im stuck in it), maybe Ravenloft: Beyond the Gate.

Any suggestions?

PS: Not to open the flood gates, but if you have a really, really good suggestion that doesn't quite fit all of the above, I'd be interested in it, too. For example, I also played and loved Madness and Magic which was more linear and story-oriented but had such lovely attention to details, good compact area design and unique characters.

Comments