Skip to content

Issue with NWNExplorer 1.8.3

I've been getting a bit of strange behavior when trying to export models with NWNExplorer. Making sure to click tab "ASCII Model", then right clicking to "Export Text" would sometimes export it as a .mdl file and other times would save it as a .text file. Now it won't save it as a .mdl at all. It is always a text file and the drop down menu is blank and gives no option to export as a specific file type but this has always been blank for me. When it did export correctly as .mdl specifically using "Export Text", I was able to open it in Blender (with Neverblender). I didn't change anything that I know of. Any ideas on what's going on here?

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    No idea why you have that problem but have you tried just changing the extension from *.txt to *.mdl and seeing if it will import into Blender?

TR
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    As far as I can see, the file exported as *.mdl.txt is in fact the uncompiled model.

So Tarot is right, if you change the extension to .mdl, all is well.

Personally, I like to export the source file (by right-clicking it in the left-hand pane) then, if binary, decompile with nwnmdlcomp, but that's just because I trust the latter tool.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    While it can be fun looking through what can be found with NWNExplorer, you might like to consider taking a look at NwN1 Standard Assets too. It contains (as far as I can see) everything that Bioware included in NwN up to and including 1.69/Diamond including all the uncompiled (I think) models that came with that edition of NwN.

TR
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    Thank you both for the input.