Skip to content

Figured out my party, but can't decide best MC class.

I am doing a full BG, SoD, BG2, ToB run. While I am still flexible on my BG1 team I want to do a 5/6 female party for BG2 for RP reasons. I will be using Viconia, Aerie, Jaheira, Neera, and Nalia (or possibly Mazzy).

Given this team I'm unsure what really compliments it. I know Jaheira can tank early on but I may need a better one. I think I'll be heavy on casters so not much point to be one exclusively. I wouldn't mind being ranged with my MC but I don't want to play ranger kits due to lackluster stronghold (no Paladins or Clerics for similar reasons). I want to be sure to have access to thief skills throughout, particularly detect trap and lock picking, Nalia can probably hold up to that.

Also open to suggestions for female only party for BG1 and SoD, will probably take Neera and Viconia, open on others.

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Blackguard is a lot of fun and quite versatile as tank or damage.. fighter/thief is also an option, let's you dump Nalia for Mazzy who is extremely good with Tuigan bow or firetooth crossbow.. not to mention you get Use Any Item and Spike traps.

I think a Blade would also compliment this part very nicely with fighting seld-buffed for much of SoA and improved Bard Song through Simulacrum later on.. you'd be touching all roles like that and stay dynamic, in an otherwise balanced party.. and don't worry about Jaheira, she can tank anything the game throws at you quite comfortably.. and with all these casters you can summon so much trash to tank for you anyway.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Fighter/thief is very versatile, yes (and my favorite to play). You can fill basically any combat role just by swapping equipment. And while Nalia's great, you're already running a lot of mage power there, and would probably be better served dropping one of Nalia and Neera for Mazzy.

Women in BG1...
    Jaheira is tied to Khalid. Unless you want to do something mean and leave him behind, she's out. Similarly, Dynaheir is tied to Minsc. And Skie can't be recruited at all because you need Eldoth to do that. That leaves, in alphabetical order:
    - Alora. A fantastic thief, and surprisingly powerful in combat with her +2 luck. But she comes very late, in the big city.
    - Branwen. A solid cleric, though redundant with Viconia. Available as soon as you go to Nashkel for the low price of a Stone to Flesh scroll.
    - Faldorn. A pure druid, available in the Cloakwood. Don't underestimate the power of reaching level 5 divine spells in the BG1 campaign; she's the best healer around, and can wreck late-game encounters with Insect Plague and True Seeing.
    - Imoen. A thief, who can be dual-classed and really wants to join you.
    - Neera: Already in your plans.
    - Safana: Another thief, a little off the beaten path in the west.
    - Shar-Teel: Fighter, can be dual-classed to thief. The only warrior option if you're excluding Jaheira. And while she's in the basilisk area, you don't have to fight any basilisks to reach her safely.
    - Viconia: Already in your plans.

Looking at that, I would definitely take Shar-Teel. I like dual-classing her for incredibly powerful backstabs, but it might be better to keep her as a pure fighter given what's available. And a warrior protagonist is pretty much mandatory. I'd probably go for Imoen and Faldorn for the last two slots, with Branwen filling Faldorn's spot before she becomes available.
  • Aozgolo108Aozgolo108 Member Posts: 79
    jmerry wrote: »
    Fighter/thief is very versatile, yes (and my favorite to play). You can fill basically any combat role just by swapping equipment. And while Nalia's great, you're already running a lot of mage power there, and would probably be better served dropping one of Nalia and Neera for Mazzy.

Women in BG1...
    Jaheira is tied to Khalid. Unless you want to do something mean and leave him behind, she's out. Similarly, Dynaheir is tied to Minsc. And Skie can't be recruited at all because you need Eldoth to do that. That leaves, in alphabetical order:
    - Alora. A fantastic thief, and surprisingly powerful in combat with her +2 luck. But she comes very late, in the big city.
    - Branwen. A solid cleric, though redundant with Viconia. Available as soon as you go to Nashkel for the low price of a Stone to Flesh scroll.
    - Faldorn. A pure druid, available in the Cloakwood. Don't underestimate the power of reaching level 5 divine spells in the BG1 campaign; she's the best healer around, and can wreck late-game encounters with Insect Plague and True Seeing.
    - Imoen. A thief, who can be dual-classed and really wants to join you.
    - Neera: Already in your plans.
    - Safana: Another thief, a little off the beaten path in the west.
    - Shar-Teel: Fighter, can be dual-classed to thief. The only warrior option if you're excluding Jaheira. And while she's in the basilisk area, you don't have to fight any basilisks to reach her safely.
    - Viconia: Already in your plans.

Looking at that, I would definitely take Shar-Teel. I like dual-classing her for incredibly powerful backstabs, but it might be better to keep her as a pure fighter given what's available. And a warrior protagonist is pretty much mandatory. I'd probably go for Imoen and Faldorn for the last two slots, with Branwen filling Faldorn's spot before she becomes available.

I am definitely leaning towards Fighter/Thief, though I wonder since I'll have a good thief in BG1 if I just go fighter kit, then dual class to thief in early SoA before Spellhold, that way I'm a bit more formidable, I should have enough spells in BG2 to survive on Knock and Find Traps until I get my thief skills up.
    That works. And Nalia's skills are good enough for dungeoneering even without the spells, as long as you keep items in mind. I got through things just fine with a party that had her as the only thief (Kill It With Fire, recorded in the playthroughs forum).
    Key items: Ring of Lockpicks in the underground part of the thieves' guild, Ring of Danger Sense in the Planar Sphere, potions of master thievery/perception/mind focusing from various sources.

What you miss out on with her is the other things thieves can do - stealth and backstabs, illusion detection, picking pockets and store inventories (unless you use lots of potions), and traps.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    edited June 2022
    jmerry wrote: »

Looking at that, I would definitely take Shar-Teel. I like dual-classing her for incredibly powerful backstabs, but it might be better to keep her as a pure fighter given what's available.

A note for Shar-Teel: you can't recruit her if you have an all female party. You have to beat her in a duel with a male party member, otherwise she won't join you. So if you want to get her, no pure amazon run.

I would definitely make sure to have Shar Teel and Mazzy in such a party, though. For the Fightiness.

Note this part of the OP:
    Aozgolo108 wrote: »
    ... I want to do a 5/6 female party for BG2 for RP reasons. I will be using Viconia, Aerie, Jaheira, Neera, and Nalia (or possibly Mazzy).
    5/6, not 6/6. My reading of that says it's a male protagonist. Which, if true, means no trouble recruiting Shar-Teel.