Skip to content

Minsc Getting Pummeled

Fired up BG for another EET run. I am in CH2/3. I had Jaheira, but with item revisions her club proficiency was awful. 1D4. She wasn’t killing anything. BUT … with ankheg plate and helmet she could tank all by herself and barely need healing. She had -3 AC. But since I am playing an illusionist/thief and have immense I didn’t have much offense.

So, I swapped her out for Minsc who I have used a million times, so was going to try a run without him. Gave him the same armor. He has the same AC as Jaheira at -3. He is getting wrecked. I need to use 6 or more healing potions against crap mobs like Xvarts. He is wrecking with the two handed sword, but somehow it’s the same AC as Jaheira had he is getting hit 10x more. What kind of hidden game mechanics have it out for my man Minsc. hahaha

Running SCS as usual on middle difficulty.

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Minsc seems to attract trouble for me too! I often will give him a mace and shield as back-up. In SoD I often have him using that combo more than two-handed swords.
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    Yeah, it's weird. I swear there is a hidden game mechanic that must say, "If MINSC plus +2 to hit and +5 to damage." Also, sometimes it looks like he is just standing there and I am not seeing him swing as he gets wrecked. I might have to switch up and try your suggestion.

I am running charname Gnome Illusionist/Thief (xbows + short sword), Minsc, Imoen (Adventurer dual to Mage (lvl 1), and Quayle. I had to EEKeeper my proficiencies from Dagger and SWS to xbows and SS. My last run was a half orc Fighter/Thief w/ 19 strength using throwing daggers to destroy everything. Didn't work so well with my 15 strength Gnome with crappy THACO. lol. I don't know what I was thinking. Light xbow of speed is much better.

Still Minsc needs to hold up better as a tank. I might have to swap for Yeslick later if he can't man up better.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    On the "just standing there" problem - two-handed swords are slow. Unless he invests in two-handed style, he'll take a while to get that first swing off. And possibly reapply that delay every time his target dies and his AI chooses a new one.

I basically never build him as a tank; his stats just aren't really suited for it. I usually run him as an archer, with occasional stealth attacks to supplement that. When I run him at all, which isn't very often.
    Yes good point @jmerry on THS. I may try to give him 2 pips some time. I do usually give him 1 pip ASAP.

Agree on him being a lackluster tank. I have been playing him more recently with elven charnames and also using Dynaheir as my mage and letting Imoen (or Safana) remain fully thieves.

Kagain is so much stronger, but as a dwarf I roleplay that my elves dislike him. There is of course Khalid (Jahiera), but I do not tend to run Jahiera in BG (she's great in BG2 though).

Frankly, Kagain can almost solo the game in good armor and with that +2 axe!
    @shylaman I like crossbows on low strength characters also. There are so many good bolts around and no one really uses them. It's always great to have a few bolt of polymorph drops as well for fun and games!