Skip to content

GOG - BGEE won't start - Help wanted (SOLVED)

VolatileVolatile Member Posts: 81
edited June 2022 in Troubleshooting
This is a new PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. Intel i7 10th gen, 16gb ram, RTX 3070 ti. GOG Galaxy working fine; many other games installed, all running seemingly fine. Prior to this, I was running BGEE in a Windows 10 Pro PC (i3, 16gb ram, GTX770) just fine.

Anyways, after the installation is done, I click on 'PLAY', the button turns grey for a moment and then goes right back to 'PLAY' with nothing ever happening. When I tried running from the game's folder by clicking either baldur.exe or the shortcut icon, the game gave me a 0xc000007b error.

Proceeded to the GOG forums to search for a solution; some people there mentioned I'd try downloading the openAL32.dll file and manually putting it in the game's installation folder. This seems odd, as I've never had this issue before, but I went ahead and googled for it.

After placing the aforementioned file in the game's folder, it did run, albeit with NO sound whatsoever. I've tried everything I could possibly imagine, but haven't succeeded thus far. I can't get the sound & music to play, and I'm unsure what other problems might occur with my faulty installation.

What's happened - this never happened before - and what can I do to fix this?
Post edited by Volatile on

Comments

• VolatileVolatile Member Posts: 81
    --FIXED--

For whatever reason, the installer is borked as of June 17, 2022. It won't install OpenAL. Here's a step by step guide just in case anybody else is experiencing the same issue:

1. Go to Programs & Features;

2. Find 'OpenAL'; if it's not there, SKIP steps 3 & 4;

3. Uninstall OpenAL - just in case you have a faulty installation;

4. Restart your PC;

5. Install BGEE (either one) and open its folder;

6. Copy 'oalinst.exe' to your desktop**;

7. Run it.

8. Have fun with Minsc and party.

** do NOT try to run it from within the game's folder **
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Glad to hear!
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    this tip worked for me thank you.