Skip to content

Mod Request: Change Hexxat's Class to Shadowdancer or Fighter/Thief

Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
Hello,

maybe someone want to pick this up and provide a small Mod which changes Hexxat's Class to Shadowdancer or Fighter/Thief Multi.

Reason being that she is rather underwhelming in my Opinion as a Kitless Thief and it would be fun playing her as a Shadowdancer with 20 Strength or a Fighter/Thief Multi class.

I know you can EE Keeper her but for Convenience Sake a Small Mod to permanently change her Class would be nice.

Quite a few people talked about that they wish Hexxat would have got a more interesting Thief Kit from Beamdog and I think it would be a Tweak more people might like.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Heard and noted. I should have it for you tomorrow. I'll go with a subcomponent model on this one.

The slightly tricky part that will require some thought is figuring out exactly what her new skill allocations should be. Hexxat's already an anomaly there, with her lack of racial skill bonuses compensated for by extra skill points (because "Vampire" isn't on the relevant table).
  • Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
    Hi :)

Thank you a lot for picking this up. I think considering there is one Good Aligned Mod NPC with the Fighter/Thief Kit (Coran) it would be nice to have an Evil Option with the same Class as well and Shadowdancer fits as well.

You mean at what Multiclass Level she should get her Vampiric Upgrades? :)
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I know she is a vampire, but I kind of wish she had not been a vampire, but instead a human/elven Shadowdancer, Assassin, or F/Th (multi or dual).

I find her vampirism alternates between tedious and overpowering, but I do enjoy her quests and their atmosphere, and her character overall.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 501
    The Artisan's Kitpack allows to give Hexxat the reworked Assassin kit.
    edited July 2022
    @Trouveur
    Yep I know the Kitpack but it will change the Assassin Class as well and Changing Hexxat's Class to the Vanilla Kits is more of a "Purist Approach" for people who don't want to use a Class Overhaul in their Installation.

@Fishmalk_1
    I used the Customisable Option for NPCs of Swordcoast Stratagems which might be similar but unfortunately it caused unintended Bugs with a lot of Mod NPCs not assigning Weapon Pips accordingly like for example in my case "Emily" from Skitia. That's the Reason I don't really use Level1 NPC Mods since it would involve to ask a lot of different Authors from different NPC Mods to fix Compatibility Issues unfortunately :(
    I think Mods like that are best Used when the Install doesn't involve much NPC Mods.
    Post edited by Wutan1988 on
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    If you install the "any character can dual-class" option from the tweaks anthology mod, it should allow you to dual Hexxat to a fighter.
    (This isn't quite what you're looking for, I know, but it will give a thief/fighter option, and since Hexxat was formerly human, perhaps is more consistent with 2e rules.)
    I've never tried it with Hexxat myself, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.
    edited July 2022
    That presents a slight problem with my Playstyle unfortunately :#
    I tend to recruit NPCs at the Maximum Possible Level they can join at cause I play No Reload, Insane Difficulty, Double Damage. Recruiting Hexxat at 1.25 Million would mean I need a Considerable amount of EXP to gain back her Thief Levels and dualing from Thief to Fighter is just inferior compared to the other way around. You don't get UAI, Traps or the Bonus HP from Fighter Level 1-9 unfortunately. One of Hexxat's biggest Weakness is her Low HP in my opinion. Granted it's almost impossible to perma her but I don't like exploiting her Cloud Form when she is dead :|

I also kinda wish Beamdog just created her as an Evil Human from Chult instead of a Vampire I guess.
    edited October 2022
    All right. Here it is.

I had to make some choices regarding fighter/thief proficiencies as well. Since specialization is so important, I dropped her short sword proficiency to specialize in long swords instead. The SoA version will start specialized in long swords and daggers, while the ToB version will add club specialization to that.

Also, if the hit points seem low for that version? Blame the dice I rolled. Actual physical dice, using the "with advantage" system that PC hit point rolls use in these games. Also, blame the fact that her constitution isn't high enough for extra hit points; those rolls are actually pretty much average.

This should be compatible with all versions of BG2EE and EET. But not with mods that allow in-game NPC customization, mods that change her class otherwise, or mods that overhaul the proficiency and thief skill systems.

Edit: Updated to version 1.1. Hexxat now gains her Domination abilities faster if she's a fighter/thief.
    Edit 2: Updated to version 1.2. Hexxat's thief skill allocations as a shadowdancer have been tweaked.
    Edit 3: Updated to version 2.0. Substantially recoded, with the stat changes externalized to 2da files. Also, Hexxat no longer has too many skill points in her lowest/level fighter/thief version, and the faster access to Domination now applies in ToB as well as SoA.
    Post edited by jmerry on
    Updated to version 1.1. I didn't take note of her vampire abilities in the original post. Hexxat now gains her Domination abilities at approximately the same experience totals she did before, if you take the fighter/thief option.
    I didn't alter the level-dependent spell effects. Her summoning spell is a mess that I'm reporting to the EE fixpack in the base game, and that's not something I feel comfortable altering here.
    @jmerry

Thank you so much for picking this up and Fullfilling my Mod Request :) 👍
    Longsword and Dagger is a good Choice of Proficiencies giving both a good Melee Option and a Range Option. I really couldn't find any High Quality Evil Fighter/Thief or fighting Thief Mod NPC Option so making Hexxat one seemed the best Choice.

I thought about playing with Rogue Rebalancing but for example the Changes to HLAs don't effect Recorder and Vienxay from Skitia so I won't install any big rule changes or kits anyway so my Installation and Hexxat should be stable. I learned quite a while ago you can't have every mod you like without experiencing hickups and bugs so a choice has to be made which Mods to install and which ones sadly have to stay out for Compatibility Sake.

I will start a Playthrough with an Evil Female FighterMage soon and Hexxat will join the Team in BG2 so I can fully enjoy her new combat prowess 😎😀

Thank you again!!!
    Clarifying a previous comment: when I talked about Hexxat's vampire status and her skill allocations, I was talking about thief skills - Hide in Shadows, Open Locks, and the lot. Shadowdancers get fewer points than regular thieves, after all. And the fighter/thief CREs have lower thief levels, so they get fewer points too. But humans get skill bonuses for those race, a net total of +45. Hexxat doesn't get the racial bonuses ... but she has that many extra free points allocated to her thief skills to compensate.

On that note, I got things a bit wrong the first time around. Updated to version 1.2, tweaking shadowdancer Hexxat's skill allocations so her low-level versions no longer have the equivalent of negative points in Pick Pockets.
    I thought that I would mention this option: https://argent77.github.io/A7-NoEENPCs/index.html

(See component 22 for a number of Hexxat options.)
    Checking the link ... argent77's class change options reset to level 1, allowing you to make most choices through the normal leveling process. My quick mod here instead has Hexxat leveled up to the same degree she is normally, like other NPCs you can recruit. I won't say what's better, but it's certainly different.
    edited July 2022
    @Thrasymachus

Ok i checked it and read the Readme :)
    For my Playstyle Jmerry's Version suits my Needs as a No Reload Player more i think. In Argents Version i don't think the EE Companions will Level back up to their Original Level. I mean there is the Possibility of "Scroll Cheese" to Level Underleveled Companions back up but i usually don't do that. Thank you for pointing me to that Mod though!!! :)
    The Option to disable the "Forced Cutscenes" is interesting. I usually like to talk on my own terms with NPCs instead of being dragged into a Dialogue and/or Cutscene.

@jmerry
    Thank you for the Quick Update!!! :);)
    With your Mod i will play Hexxat more often than i did before. I always choose Jan over her for Evil Parties cause i didn't see much of a Point Gimping myself on a Higher Difficulty.

Wutan1988 wrote: »
    ... In Argents Version i don't think the EE Companions will Level back up to their Original Level.

The mod says "reset to level 1". It doesn't say anything about changing the amount of experience they start with or the triggers they get when they join the party, so I expect those are still intact and you can level them up as far as the normal versions as soon as they join. After all, all of the characters you recruit at the Fate Spirit in ToB normally come with enough experience to gain several levels as soon as they join.
    jmerry wrote: »
    Wutan1988 wrote: »
    ... In Argents Version i don't think the EE Companions will Level back up to their Original Level.

The mod says "reset to level 1". It doesn't say anything about changing the amount of experience they start with or the triggers they get when they join the party, so I expect those are still intact and you can level them up as far as the normal versions as soon as they join. After all, all of the characters you recruit at the Fate Spirit in ToB normally come with enough experience to gain several levels as soon as they join.

Yes, the EE Companions do receive whatever experience they would normally when they join you. You then "level them up" from 1st level.
    edited July 2022
    Thank you very much for clarifying that for me guys. Then it's indeed similar to the Component SCS introduces. Still I wouldn't want to change the class of Rasaad, Neera or Dorn cause their class is an important part of their Story, Banters, Personality, Character Development etc. Only exception being Hexxat cause I think she didn't mention her class even once and it wouldn't contradict or be out of Character for her to be one of the other Thief Classes in my opinion.
    Jmerrys Version does everything I would want to beef up an underutilised Character and make her more Interesting.
    Argent's Version might find a home in my Standard Install anyway though for different reasons :)
    Thank you a lot guys 👍
    I'm planning to include this in my larger tweak mod, and that led to me recoding it. Version 2.0 is now available, with the stat changes encoded in 2da files for easier tweaking and a couple small mistakes fixed. If you want to install it, but don't agree with all of my choices in building her alternate versions, it should be easy to change them. More information is in the readme.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    NPC EE has worked well for me.
  • DraikenWeAreDraikenWeAre Member Posts: 112
    Hey @jmerry do you think, you could make an override folder both the fighter/thief and shadowdancer mods separately for Hexxat .

I'm playing on Android with my Laptop busted so I can't actually install these mods myself.
    Sure, here they are. The names should make clear which is which.
    (Built on a Mac; the .DS_Store file in both override folders is OS junk)
    Hey @jmerry thanks for the help , though I don't know if I'm doing something wrong , i tried putting each mod into the override folder (obviously not together) and opened an old saved game where hexxat is already in my party and nothing particularly is different about her class.

Please help me knoe what to do
    The mod will have essentially no effect if Hexxat has already joined; characters that have ever been in the party are included in the save. You'll have to start fresh, or at least from before Hexxat first joined, to see the difference.

And as I previously noted, this mod I put together is only about the real Hexxat. The brainwashed fake that first joins you in the Copper Coronet is unaffected.
    @jmerry Oh I've seen what you mean , works perfectly.

Thanks a lot again man, you really helped me out.
    Hey @jmerry I wanted to confirm if your mod doesn't work on the latest version of BG2EE.

Cause before when I was using your mod on v2.5 it was working as long as I hadn't recruited Hexxat to my party before , I just copied the override folder you gave me then.

But now I updated the game to the latest 2.6.6, starting a new run, it doesn't seem to change Hexxat's class though.

I even removed every other mod I had to potentially see if there was a conflict then went back to a previous save with only this mod present and before adding her.

And still nothing happened.

So I'm wondering if its due to me updating, since it was working on my previous version before.
    The primary version of the mod (WeiDU-based, run the install script) was designed for and tested in 2.6, though it should be broadly version-agnostic given its limited scope. For Android, when you're copying override folders ... I don't really even know how that works, so there's not much I can do to help with it.

... Are you sure it's the real Hexxat that's unaffected? I've explicitly said that this won't affect the decoy human "Hexxat", only the vampire.

By the way, this mod is now included as a component in my tweak mod.
    @jmerry I've seen what the issue is , I originally thought as long as I dont talk to the real Hexxat the Mod would work once installed but it seems (and I dont know if this is what you intended) if the mod is installed after clara is originally talked too, then it wont still work.

Anyway I learnt a bug from this that keeps Clara and Hexxat alive , so it's not all bad.

It was by accident as I was skipping dialog fast, just get to aquire Hexxat and see if the your mod works , but If you quickly skip the dialog fast enough , Hexxat drinks Clara's Blood but doesn't kill her. Due to I guess the game unable to read both functions fast enough.

Then you can add both to the party, but Clara still acts in her dominated state , saying she needs to get to Dragomirs Tomb.
    (I like the real Hexxat personally but I feel killing anyone infront of the party good or evil, is the dumbest writing ever for someone who says "I do anything to survive", I prefer Dorn to be the only Idiotic Evil of my Party.)

Anyway android mods work the same as Pc mods. I'm generally installing on PC then just transferring the Dialog and override folders , so when I updated I did added your own mod later because not all of my previous mods were compatible with 2.6.

I'll be checking out your tweaks mod, thanks for the heads up and replying me really quickly.

Peace and Love man.
  • AzyraAzyra Member Posts: 22
    @jmerry I've seen what the issue is , I originally thought as long as I dont talk to the real Hexxat the Mod would work once installed but it seems (and I dont know if this is what you intended) if the mod is installed after clara is originally talked too, then it wont still work.

Anyway I learnt a bug from this that keeps Clara and Hexxat alive , so it's not all bad.

It was by accident as I was skipping dialog fast, just get to aquire Hexxat and see if the your mod works , but If you quickly skip the dialog fast enough , Hexxat drinks Clara's Blood but doesn't kill her. Due to I guess the game unable to read both functions fast enough.

Then you can add both to the party, but Clara still acts in her dominated state , saying she needs to get to Dragomirs Tomb.
    (I like the real Hexxat personally but I feel killing anyone infront of the party good or evil, is the dumbest writing ever for someone who says "I do anything to survive", I prefer Dorn to be the only Idiotic Evil of my Party.)

Anyway android mods work the same as Pc mods. I'm generally installing on PC then just transferring the Dialog and override folders , so when I updated I did added your own mod later because not all of my previous mods were compatible with 2.6.

I'll be checking out your tweaks mod, thanks for the heads up and replying me really quickly.

Peace and Love man.

Olá, tudo bom? Como eu faço para instalar esse mod. Acabei de fazer o Download e não sei como instalar
  • AzyraAzyra Member Posts: 22
    jmerry wrote: »
    The primary version of the mod (WeiDU-based, run the install script) was designed for and tested in 2.6, though it should be broadly version-agnostic given its limited scope. For Android, when you're copying override folders ... I don't really even know how that works, so there's not much I can do to help with it.

... Are you sure it's the real Hexxat that's unaffected? I've explicitly said that this won't affect the decoy human "Hexxat", only the vampire.

By the way, this mod is now included as a component in my tweak mod.

Cara muito obrigado, procurei por muito tempo algo que pudesse alterar a classe da Hexxat na versão mobile. Muito obg