Skip to content

*Spoilers* Sir Sarles quest still bugged, guardian Telwyn won't speak to me

This bug has been known for so many years, I've seen posts from 2006 with the same problem. I haven't been able to find a way around it however so my last hope is for some guidance from the community.

The quest procedure in short: I gave the illithium alloy to Sarles, he gets mad and runs off. I return to Guardian Telwyn who has nothing to say to me so I can't finish the quest. He will speak to my other companions, but then only saying that he will only talk to me (lol).

I have tried to create a new Guardian Telwyn via console, but it's the same problem.

Other ideas? I would really like to hand in this quest and do the next one. But I'm keeping the real illithium ore to myself for the mace :#

Oh and I tried to send in this request for support via de official channel (service desk) but it was down.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The conditions for Telwyn to talk to you for that conversation:
    1. You have the illithium alloy.
    2. Global variable "SarlesPissed" is 1. This should be set by the dialogue in which Sarles storms off.
    3. Player 1 is the one talking to him.
    4. Global variable "SculptorDone" is zero (or equivalently, not set). This will be set to 1 later in this conversation; it's the "don't do this conversation again" check.
    5. Oisig is present in the area and not dead. This is at least partially a check for "are you working with the right temple?"; if you're with another temple for the cult quest, Oisig won't be there. But Telwyn might be despite that, as Dorn's quest spawns him in.

As none of these are local to Telwyn, creating a new copy of Telwyn definitely won't help. Conditions 1, 3, and 5 are easy to check by just looking at things in-game. Conditions 2 and 4 need you to either look at a save with an appropriate tool, or use the console to check the variable.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2022
    Thank you so much for that detailed reply @jmerry ! <3

I'm a bit rusty on the console commands, would you be able to post the full console commands here? Just want to make sure I don't mess it up, and it could be helpful for other players who finds this thread in the future :)

So basically how do I set the Global variable to 1 for SarlesPissed and 0 for SculptorDone?

And huh, I had no idea Oisig had to be present! I noticed that he had moved to stand awkwardly in the druid grove, a bug obviously. No idea why or when it happened whatsoever. But I also didn't think it mattered since I could still hand in the Unseeing eye quest to him there in the grove.

So, follow-up question. How do I spawn a new Oisig in the temple? Or any other solution?

Again, thanks a million!
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The druid grove? How, in the name of Helm, did he even get there?

That's almost certainly the problem. As for creating a new version of him, you already know about creating creatures. Oisig's code is BHOISIG - so that's
    C: CreateCreature("BHOISIG")

I think you can test a variable with GetGlobal(). I know you can set a variable with SetGlobal(). These commands take two or three arguments; in order, the variable name, the scope, and the value. The variable name is self-explanatory - just enclose it in quotes. The scope is either "GLOBAL" for a global variable or another object identifier for a local variable. So in this case that would be
    C: GetGlobal("SarlesPissed","GLOBAL") and if that doesn't return the result you want
    C: SetGlobal("SarlesPissed","GLOBAL",1)
  • kuniloakuniloa Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2023
    Thanks so much for this, @jmerry. I linked to this post on the Baldur's Gate Wiki.