Skip to content

HotU Djinni Disappearing

JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
edited March 2018 in Technical Support
I'm midway through HotU Chapter One and have retrieved the Djinni Bottle. When I summon Volkarion his dialogue window opens but he disappears before I can respond. I've retrieved the bottle multiple times and have tried summoning him in multiple places, but he always disappears very fast. If I pause, I'm able to get in one or two responses, but he still disappears long before getting to his store. I've submitted a bug report, but would greatly appreciate it if someone could post a workaround in the meantime. Thank you.

Edit: I don't know if there's an option to open stores using debug commands, but if there is I haven't been able to find out how. I was finally able to get Volkarion to open his store by spamming the hell out the pause button throughout his dialogue and then kept the game paused with his store open. Further attempts to summon him and shop with him result in him disappearing quickly, though, but the pause thing worked for me. I'm hoping that the problem doesn't persist in chapters two and three. I'll report back here if it does.
Post edited by Jidokwon on

Comments

• CpaddackCpaddack Member Posts: 1
    Jidokwon said:

I'm midway through HotU Chapter One and have retrieved the Djinni Bottle. When I summon Volkarion his dialogue window opens but he disappears before I can respond. I've retrieved the bottle multiple times and have tried summoning him in multiple places, but he always disappears very fast. If I pause, I'm able to get in one or two responses, but he still disappears long before getting to his store. I've submitted a bug report, but would greatly appreciate it if someone could post a workaround in the meantime. Thank you.

Edit: I don't know if there's an option to open stores using debug commands, but if there is I haven't been able to find out how. I was finally able to get Volkarion to open his store by spamming the hell out the pause button throughout his dialogue and then kept the game paused with his store open. Further attempts to summon him and shop with him result in him disappearing quickly, though, but the pause thing worked for me. I'm hoping that the problem doesn't persist in chapters two and three. I'll report back here if it does.

I also am having the same problem... has this been fixed yet or is there a solution?
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    I reported it here: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/35752. I had copied over any earlier saves that I had and was in Chapter Two by the time I received requests for them, though. I think that they may have found the problem and are working on the issue, but if you have any saves that you can attach to the report, they might help. He didn't despawn fast in Chapter Two, so I'm guessing that the problem was tied to a script in Chapter One. The workaround that I used was to pause fast, then unclick and click pause fast repeatedly throughout his dialogue and keep the game paused when in his store.
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    This may be a long-shot, as I haven't had a lot of time to look into this, but does your character have any ongoing effects on them? I almost wonder if the genie is getting removed on heartbeat because of some kind of aura or some-such.
  • SirYggdrasilSirYggdrasil Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue with the Djinni, he disappears just after I have activated him, and the only way to get to him is to quickly press the "1" key twice, so you go through the menu options. A bit annoying.
    I got no mods installed. I had a restduration.2da in the ovr folder for making resting duration less, but I removed it again, and the issue persists, also in the second Act of HotU.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @SirYggdrasil If you have a save, please zip and attach it at support.baldursgate.com so that we could investigate (that is our bug tracker).
  • SirYggdrasilSirYggdrasil Member Posts: 2
    @SirYggdrasil If you have a save, please zip and attach it at support.baldursgate.com so that we could investigate (that is our bug tracker).

Ok, done.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Sorry to drag this thread back from the grave, but I just wanted to report that I also encountered this bug. HOWEVER! I also managed to discover what was causing it! The culprit is if I have Magic Circle vs Evil/Good active on me when I summon Volkarion; for some reason, if the spell is active, Volkarion will vanish again 1 second after being summoned, interrupting his conversation and potentially blocking access to his store (you can get around it by spamming '1' twice to open his store before he disappears). I tested this a few times in various areas, and it's consistent. If I have Magic Circle (regardless of whether it's toggled to Good or Evil) up, Volkarion won't stick around. If I don't have it active, there's no problems.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    Four years later and this bug still happens. I rested to remove all ongoing magical effects and removed my boots of speed, but it still keeps happening. Any chance for a solution?
  • InvasorDePastosInvasorDePastos Member Posts: 25
    I'm playing HoTU for the first time and I'm having the same issue in December 2022. Are there any accesible merchants during the game or is this game breaking considering we can't go back to the surface?