Skip to content

David Warner, the VA for Jon Irenicus, has died

Warner a great actor, both on film and stage, has died at the age of 80. Memorably, he once described doing game VA work as akin to 'a desperate man drinking meths' (you'll have to take my word for that, I don't remember the source). Rest in peace, Mr Warner.

https://theguardian.com/film/2022/jul/25/veteran-british-actor-david-warner-star-of-the-omen-and-tron-dies-aged-80

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    Epic voice. My favourite of all voice actors in In the BG saga

RIP
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2022
    Utilizing his return in SoD to not just voice Irenicus but a player voiceset alongside - the Male Commanding voiceset - was among the best decisions of Beamdog. Rest in peace (although I will always associate him with Gul Mardred of TNG and Tron's MCP before Irenicus).
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    edited July 2022
    RIP.

"Ahhh, the Child of Bhaal has awoken..." will forever echo in my mind's ear.
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Loved listening to his voice on the radio. Very sad news.
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    Damn... he'll be missed.

I wish he did more voice roles in games, only a few games but he left an impacted.

His role on Star Trek TNG was awesome.
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    I'm only familiar with the BG work as Irenicus. But it's such a powerful role. Without Warner's commanding voice, I don't think the character would work as well. It's the best villain in gaming. He'll be missed for certain.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    And now his watch has ended. Thanks for sharing this news.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Legendary role amongst meny. Echo sentiments that bringing him back was a fantastic choice. Sad to hear 😞
  • ArcnNKDArcnNKD Member Posts: 28
    How sad. His voice lines are perhaps my most memorable part of the Saga - opening into his dungeon and his entire confrontation in the Promenade.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    "To end.. like this!"
    Sad news indeed. May he rest in peace...
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I only just learned about this. :( RIP, David Warner. Your voice helped bring to life one of my all-time greatest and most cherished video game memories. You will not be forgotten.
  • Emardon_LareousEmardon_Lareous Member Posts: 60
    His voice definitely made Irenicus the noteworthy villain that he was. Was a shame to hear he wasn't with us.

I was pleasantly surprised by a similar voice on a different actor in Dragon Age Inquisition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtm_AAIWkM