Skip to content

Selection Sounds Broken (Custom Soundsets)

I made a custom soundset at the beginning of 2021 and it worked flawlessly. However, I am trying the same soundset nowadays and when you do a playback from the character customize/creation menu all of the sounds play just fine but inside the game, the selection sounds don't play at all. This must be a conflict with new updates to the game, the question is; what do I have to do to get those selection sounds working again?

I am using this soundset template when I make my soundsets in BG2 EE:

XXXXXXXa.wav Battle Cry 1
XXXXXXXb.wav Becoming Leader
XXXXXXXc.wav Tired
XXXXXXXd.wav Bored
XXXXXXXe.wav Badly Wounded
XXXXXXXf.wav Selected 1
XXXXXXXg.wav Selected 2
XXXXXXXh.wav Selected 3
XXXXXXXi.wav Action Acknowledgement 1
XXXXXXXj.wav Action Acknowledgement 2
XXXXXXXk.wav Action Acknowledgement 3
XXXXXXXl.wav Being Hit
XXXXXXXm.wav Dying
XXXXXXXn.wav In Forest
XXXXXXXo.wav In City
XXXXXXXp.wav In Dungeon
XXXXXXXq.wav Daytime
XXXXXXXr.wav Nighttime
XXXXXXXs.wav Action Acknowledgement 4
XXXXXXXt.wav Action Acknowledgement 5
XXXXXXXu.wav Action Acknowledgement 6
XXXXXXXv.wav Action Acknowledgement 7
XXXXXXXw.wav Reaction to Party Member Death
XXXXXXXx.wav Rare Select 1
XXXXXXXy.wav Rare Select 2
XXXXXXXz.wav Critical Hit Given
XXXXXXX1.wav Critical Miss
XXXXXXX2.wav Target Immune
XXXXXXX3.wav Inventory Full
XXXXXXX4.wav Successfully Picked A Pocket
XXXXXXX5.wav Successfully Hid In Shadows
XXXXXXX6.wav Spell Disrupted
XXXXXXX7.wav Set A Trap
XXXXXXX8.wav Battle Cry 2
XXXXXXX9.wav Battle Cry 3
XXXXXXX0.wav Selected 6
XXXXXXX_.wav Action Acknowledgement 8

I've scoured the internet for answers to this problem but have found a multitude of different suggestions over the years. I tried many things but none seem to work. Hopefully an employee/moderator can help clear this up.

Comments

• armydude2990armydude2990 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2022

Using the expanded soundset (the one with the underscores after 6 letters that's written under "UNOFFICIAL Naming Conventions") doesn't seem to do anything it just makes the sounds menu look like this: 6cexagi91b9j.png

Does that tool have to be used for this to work?
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Yes, the tool have to be used for this, because charsnd.2da needs to be edited for custom soundsets to work. That issue happens because you placed the underscore additions to the sounds folder - for the record; they'll end up in override.
  • armydude2990armydude2990 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the tool have to be used for this, because charsnd.2da needs to be edited for custom soundsets to work. That issue happens because you placed the underscore additions to the sounds folder - for the record; they'll end up in override.

I have to open up this .tra file in order to install, what do you use to open .tra files? I currently don't have any software to do it.
    Everything you need to edit is just a standard plaintext file, even Notepad can do.
  • mmmmmmmmmmmm Member Posts: 2
    I've made my first custom sounds more than a decade ago and they were working all these years on all versions of BG2, and on BGEE and BG2EE. Recently all custom sound sets stopped playing SELECTION sound - but only during play. They ALL work in the character customization screen.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE REPLYING:

Everything is properly distributed, and all sound files are properly made, stored, etc. On my BGEE they are all still properly working, without any mods. On my friend's PC it is all properly working on BG2EE, he has a complete sounds folder same as mine, with 8 custom sound sets.

Therefore there is a bug in the game and something is triggering it.

- I would like to know what triggers it - so I avoid it;
    - I would like to know if is there any other way to FIX IT apart from re-installing.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS THREAD TO PROMOTE ANY MODS, as they are clearly unnecessary, because sound sets always worked without ANY mods, and normally it all works as it was.

The game needs a bug fix, not a mod, although I appreciate and respect all people who contribute with custom mods.
    EE 2.6 ported over the 7th selection sound slot (among many others) from IWD, but that regressed the legacy loader. Which should have been axed anyway because it's limitations are obvious since IWDEE and SoD (IWDEE stripped off the oIWD sets from 40 lines to 25 to fit into BG2 standards because it didn't have engine support for the remaining 15 lines while the debuted-in-SoD and 2.6's AoN sets uses a mix of BG1 and BG2 sound options which force them to use the extended options, which leads to placing lines among the other game assets alongside and not just limiting them to what's exposed through the single-character suffix). The game grew out of the legacy soundset options and I don't see any reason why one would demand back the limits (like lack of subtitle support, lack of custom name on selection, lack of rare-selects in BG2, lack of alternative tired/bored response options in BG/BG2 and my list can go on).

The only real soundset bug is that while 2.6 restored the missing-from-BG2 IWD sound options, it did not ported the missing-from-EE oIWD lines along with the patch.

IIRC the legacy soundset loader never even acted properly with skeleton sets and padded the missing lines with silence as well instead of skipping them.

@mmmmmm the fix is obviously to set up your custom soundset as a mod to properly gain advantage of the 2.6 featureset.
  • mmmmmmmmmmmm Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply @GraionDilach .

Though this still does not explain why old-school soundsets work normally on the friend's PC, who has the same Steam version of BG2EE, while on my it does not work.

Anyway, you suggest your tool as the only working solution? https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/34560-adding-soundsets-to-the-ees-using-the-ee-soundset-tool/
    edited September 2022
    Apparently BGEE has skeleton setups for the CUSTOM0 to CUSTOM9 filenames set up. These are limited to the BG1 spec (with m being the last suffix read and used, although the selection menu would imply otherwise) but they would work out from the box in that game. These skeleton entries are missing from BG2EE and IWDEE. If you did use one of those filenames for your own set, then that's the reason why that worked.

Yes, I stand behind the EE Soundset Tool as the proper solution.