Skip to content

I hate Planescape: Torment. And that is the reason you should listen to me.

2»

Comments

• taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288

The game is about a character called "The Nameless One" because... well, he doesn't have a name because he can't remember it. He wakes up in a mortuary and can't remember who he is, because every time he "dies" he loses all his memory and returns to life.

This is false, almost every time he dies he returns back to life with all his memories intact. In fact, multiple quests can only be resolved by committing suicide and come back unharmed.
    He CAN lose his memories on some deaths, presumably ones that are extremely destructive but I haven't seen the exact specifics explained yet (or if I have, I don't remember it).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    taltamir said:

The game is about a character called "The Nameless One" because... well, he doesn't have a name because he can't remember it. He wakes up in a mortuary and can't remember who he is, because every time he "dies" he loses all his memory and returns to life.

This is false, almost every time he dies he returns back to life with all his memories intact. In fact, multiple quests can only be resolved by committing suicide and come back unharmed.
    He CAN lose his memories on some deaths, presumably ones that are extremely destructive but I haven't seen the exact specifics explained yet (or if I have, I don't remember it).
    I'm pretty sure that up until the point where he wakes up on the slab at the beginning of the game, every death did indeed mean his memory was wiped clean. I don't think this change was ever really explained in the game though (but I do think that the change was remarked upon at some point).
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I'm open minded, I don't hate games that break the mold.

CrevsDaak
  • TymisTymis Member Posts: 1
    The reason he loses his memory on certain deaths is possibly the biggest spoiler in the game, but it makes perfect sense if you play through it. I can tell you why if you don't mind the massive spoilers.
    elminsterCrevsDaakTJ_Hooker
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    PS:T is my favorite game by far, but he is right, customization here is missing, but wait! Play it complete, i thought that too at the start, but the storyline is DAMN TOO CAPTIVATING, AND, WELL THAT!!! But still wondering why so mich hate to it? I know it is difficult to get over all the things after BG, but here things are different, still your arguments are right, but I also liked your long post to read.
    And, yes, it is very. But very madlike, what I find much better in this game, since I like strange things and SciFi.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    There's no need to lie, OP, the story in PST is garbage much like in all jibbeo james.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Just to reiterate, the OP is a troll. As is Almateria.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Magnus_Grelich you have the whole reason.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Agree the OP is definitely not a troll. The title might make it seem like that, but if you actually read the body of his message it is a coherent argument that is respectful and insightful.
    I hear almateria lives under a bridge though
    CrevsDaakkamuizinlolien
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2013
    We all know trolling and flaming are both against the forum rules so let's not turn this thread into a flame festival. I prefer not to close it.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakMetallomanAlmateria
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    OlvynChuru
  • mysticexarchmysticexarch Member Posts: 12
    I can understand OP's opinion. I liked Planescape: Torment SO much. In fact, for about a week after I finished it I couldn't stop thinking about it. I loved almost everything about it, even the parts that the OP hated. Yes, even the weird setting (Planescape is a real campaign setting by the way) and macabre elements. The main thing that makes it so great though is the epic story and detailed conversations. This game has the depth and weight of a full-blown fantasy novel.

That said, I understand the OP's complaints. Torment is not for everyone. And to be totally honest, the gameplay is a little bit lacking, making it un-replayable for me.

Some problems OP didn't mention:
    -tiny amount of possible companions
    -I feel like the changing alignment system, while cool, is a bit pointless. It doesn't seem to affect much and very little changes your alignment
    -You need a high intelligence, wisdom, and charisma character in order to get the full experience from the game (because they're so useful in conversations and add extra dialogue.) This pretty much means you have to play a mage.
    -side quests are utterly boring (tons of short fetch/kill quests)

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are in my opinion much better. They have the same quality story-wise and far superior gameplay. Ultimately though, BG and Torment scratch different kinds of itches. Torment is a great game, maybe one of the 50 best of all time, but its replay ability is low and it is not for everyone. It deserves a try though, because its a unique experience.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2014
    I just wanted to say that I think people exaggerate some of the aspects of PS:T, making it out to be some super-niche arthouse game that can only be enjoyed by hardcore roleplayers or players interested in an interactive novel rather than a proper game. By no means am I keen on artistic games, and my roleplaying is extremely light (and was virtually non-existant when I first played PS:T, back when I was 12 or so). Despite all that, I still love PS:T. Hell, when I first played it I approached the game all wrong, in particular being rather kill-happy (e.g. immediately killing all the zombies in the mortuary, unknowingly cutting myself off from a number of side quests), and I still had a blast.

That being said, combat is lacking compared to the other IE games (although PS:T's cool animations, particularly for spells, help offset that a little bit in my books), and there is a ton of reading.
    CrevsDaak
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    If you ordered sushi, do not make a fuss about not getting a pizza. It's really that simple.
    CrevsDaakelminsterMontresor_SP
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    My inability to finish this game is a drain on my manhood and a constant source of shame.
    jackjackelminster
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I managed to beat the game once. Once.

The subsequent tries have all run out of steam for some reason.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I haven't even beaten PS:T due to a bug where I couldn't even kill the end boss.

I just don't have the energy to even re-try to get to that spot again.
  • SheennoobiSheennoobi Member Posts: 9
    Wow, i clicked on this post thinking "oh god if you hate this game why bother?" turns out its a positive post.

Learned a golden rule on forums never judge a post by its title.

kudos to you op! im gonna play planscape once they make an EE of it but that gonna take a awhile.
    JuliusBorisovkamuizin
  • BezejmennýBezejmenný Member Posts: 22
    Ps:T is just awesome and I agree that it is very good PIECE OF ART! :smile:
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Interesting thread. Here's my two cents for what it is worth.

Most people I know that like BG style of game go berzonkers about PS:T. I personally have tried playing through it but invariably never get more than a few hours into it before I just don't bother going back. I've tried to like it, really and honestly I have tried. I've actually started the game on not less than 10 separate occasions. And while I haven't ever gotten more than about 3 sessions in (not more than 2-3 hours of game play each), I don't suspect that sticking with it will make it any more palatable for me.

I don't feel that it is a failing of the writing as that seems to be better than other games of a similar nature. I'm not a huge fan of the setting, but again that in itself is not something that I believe is 'hate worthy'. It is simply not standard fair as far as that goes.

I agree that the level of customization is at a minimum. While I admit that 'Most' role playing games allow for a lot more customization, I don't "Necessarily" see this as a "Failing" in this game. It quite simply is not that kind of Role playing game. And that's fine. Not all 'Role playing' games have to require that you can customize to the Nth degree. It is in fact more the proper definition of Role playing in that you are being asked to play a role and not (for the most part) create one yourself.

Maybe it is that combat is not as robust (or often? or some such)? I don't know, nor do I want to think that I am that shallow (though I don't put it past myself). I think that at the end of the day, it just isn't my type of thing. Full stop. This is 100% personal and subjective. I acknowledge that people LOVE the game and quite probably rightly so. It just isn't "My" thing.
    FinneousPJBillyYankelminsterBelgarathMTH
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2015
    My experience of playing PST for the first time:

1) Load it up
    2) Forget to eat
    3) Forget to sleep
    4) Forget to go to work
    5) Around 23 hours later, finish game

Good job it wasn't longer, or I would be a dusty skeleton sitting over the computer.
    mlneveseTuth
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Meh, the average human can go 4-5 days without dying sans food and sleep. Quite what state they would be in at that point is a different question.
    mlnevese
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    The exact state you'd need to be in to consider PST a good game, I'd wager
  • GrejuvaGrejuva Member Posts: 3
    I find the combat "serviceable" and it is more than enough for me.
    Arcanum on the other hand.....i love the game but the combat gave me severe PTSD.
  • marcusAureleusmarcusAureleus Member Posts: 1
    One of the hallmarks of liking a game is that you have many ideas of things that you would change about it to make it better or have a lot of criticisms. If you really hated a game, you would immediately uninstall within a few minutes or never even install to begin with. Somehow the game was intriguing enough to make you play through it, even though it wasn't your "style." Either the claim that you hate the game was false clickbait, or you really do like the game but aren't willing to admit it to yourself.