Skip to content

Sure everyone uses SCS, but...

barker262barker262 Member Posts: 75
Does anyone out there use the 'Spell Revisions' mod from G3?

Everytime I go to download it, I get the shakes and chicken out.

It's the same with Rogue Rebalancing, download it and then can't bring myself to actually use it.

Any feedback or horror story would be most welcome.

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    I use Spell Revisions!

I like it because the spell descriptions are accurate to their mechanical in-game effects!
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I use Rogue Rebalancing (and SCS) permanently, but these days I only use RR for the new items and encounters, but not for the class changes. I liked the changes, but over time I have become more loyal to the original BG classes and races without mods. Just feels better as it reminds me more of AD&D which had some of the same restrictions.

I do not use Spell Revisions, but have always wanted to try it out.

That being said, try them out for sure! No judging from me on using modes, etc. Do what you find fun!
  • barker262barker262 Member Posts: 75
    I like it because the spell descriptions are accurate to their mechanical in-game effects![/quote]

I like that they seem to be attempting to spread the saving throw variety around. Which is great for mages as you can tailor a spell list to attack the opponents worst save group. How do you find the spell effects?

Aerakar wrote: »
    I use Rogue Rebalancing (and SCS) permanently, but these days I only use RR for the new items and encounters, but not for the class changes. I liked the changes, but over time I have become more loyal to the original BG classes and races without mods. Just feels better as it reminds me more of AD&D which had some of the same restrictions.

I do not use Spell Revisions, but have always wanted to try it out.

That being said, try them out for sure! No judging from me on using modes, etc. Do what you find fun!

Yeah, the rogue changes daunt me as well. Didn't realise that it was component based, like SCS. Might have to give it a go after all.
    And thanks to both of you for the feedback.
    The Spell Revisions (SR) spell effects are meant to be more useful than just sleep at low levels and magic missile and shield at high levels for level 1 spell slots. I'm glad that many old tactics still work, like animate dead + stinking cloud, though there is encouragement to experiment. I'm also glad that - as you said - spells use save vs. breath to mimic a Reflex save, save vs. Poison or Polymorph to mimic a Fortitude save, and still use save vs. spell to mimic a Will save.

I'm also quite glad that SR is compatible with SCS if SR is installed before SCS, and SCS casters will use SR spell versions. Various other spell mods including IWDification and OlvynSpells are compatible with SR if SR is installed before them.

I do wish that SR went even farther with some of its changes, like making protection from normal weapons a level 1 spell with a short duration (3ish rounds) to make it especially useful instead of it being a forgettable spell that comes at a later spell level than stoneskin, mirror image, shield, and haste - my default buff stack.

(I mentioned this already on the Gibberlings3 forum and we already discussed how the game's AI - even with SCS - would have a hard time countering protection from normal weapons at spell level 1 or 2 due to lacking dispel, and even might have a hard time at spell level 3 due to there being generally few casters in BG1.)
  • barker262barker262 Member Posts: 75
    Endarire wrote: »

I'm also quite glad that SR is compatible with SCS if SR is installed before SCS, and SCS casters will use SR spell versions. Various other spell mods including IWDification and OlvynSpells are compatible with SR if SR is installed before them.

Odd, I would have thought that the Spell Revisions would go on over the top of (installed after) SCS and anything that added spells. I've got both SCS and IWDification running and though it would be a sinch to mod SR in as well.
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 250
    Spell Revisions and Spell Revisions Revised do some things I really like, and others I really dislike. Some of the new spells are very fun and useful, so it is enjoyable to have more options. Additionally, I really like how SR and SRR alters the mage chess in regards to what spells protect the user and how to remove those protections. I do not like how invisibility and detect invisibility/dispel illusion is handled. This new system is something I very much dislike and it is one of the main contributors for me not wanting to run SR/SRR. I also very much dislike how Improved Haste is nerfed. This nerf limits character creation options as only warrior classes with active warrior levels can achieve 10apr. No longer will fighter dualed to mage be a viable option as they will get at MOST 6apr compared to their pure class or multiclass counterparts. Anything that reduces viable player options is a no-go in my book.
    @barker262
    To clarify, SR and SCS work together as they do because SCS is coded to detect the presence of SR and change scripting accordingly. Most mods work in a different manner - the most recently installed mod or component takes priority.