Skip to content

Paladin party with Keldorn Firecam

Hi y'all!

After replaying BG for the millionth time I decided to actually do a run through Icewind Dale.

I had a nice idea for a party but would like some advice. So my party is young Keldorn Firecam on his first quest out to make his bones. A mission from Order of the Radiant Heart to go to Easthaven and investigate the evil there.

The party I am thinking of is:

Paladin - Keldorns mentor/superior. Undead hunter who is going to roll with sword and shield. Might add mace as well.
Paladin - Keldorn himself. Twohanded swords.
Cleric of Tyr - Sent with the order. Warhammers and flail all day for this lady.
Archer - The wilderness guide to these city boys.
Mage/Thief - Just to get those things out of the way. Don't like to play with either of the classes but sure do need their skills.

The real question is, who will be the sixth person in the party? Would love some advice on whats fun to play with. RP-wise I am thinking this is a local from IWD who knows a bit about the area. What would be a fun class to do? I like bards but maybe a Shaman is more correct in terms of RP? Any class and character is up for grabs though wo would love to hear your suggestions.

And of course if you have any other tips on equipment, fun RP-things for this party or just any real comment all is appreciated.

Wish you all a great day!

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    This doesn't actually make sense lore-wise; IWD takes place more than a human lifetime before BG/BG2. But sure, that can be ignored.

In terms of characterization, what's Keldorn like? We only see him as the veteran adventurer, but at that point he's actually pretty chill about ordinary mortal evil. A vampire, a demon-powered blackguard, an evil cleric of Shar - he'll pick fights with those. An evil dwarf berserker? Keldorn gets along just fine in a party with Korgan.
    An official Radiant Heart mission won't bring along anyone evil, of course. But don't expect them to get stupid and pick fights with everyone that detects as evil; they'll only go after the ones that are actively hostile, threatening innocents, or empowered by supernatural evil.

On building a party for this, I think it would help to develop character concepts for everyone, not just classes. You want a mage/thief to cover utility/support roles? Who are they, and what motivates them? After all, role-playing is the whole point of this character insert. While it might be the paladins in charge, the whole party should pull their weight in the story you're building.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    A human barbarian, shaman or totemic druid would be a logical add-on to this party. Could be a scout from one of the local tribes or some such.

A bard or skald could be a tag along documenting the adventure, or even a Harper sent to add their skills to the mission (as well as to make sure the balance is maintained). The Harper could also be a druid (but I think a bard or skald would be the most fun and would add their powerful abilities to your repertoire).

A dwarf fighter or defender would be justified as well.
  • BardsSuck_BardsSuck_ Member Posts: 133
    jmerry wrote: »
    This doesn't actually make sense lore-wise; IWD takes place more than a human lifetime before BG/BG2. But sure, that can be ignored.

In terms of characterization, what's Keldorn like? We only see him as the veteran adventurer, but at that point he's actually pretty chill about ordinary mortal evil. A vampire, a demon-powered blackguard, an evil cleric of Shar - he'll pick fights with those. An evil dwarf berserker? Keldorn gets along just fine in a party with Korgan.
    An official Radiant Heart mission won't bring along anyone evil, of course. But don't expect them to get stupid and pick fights with everyone that detects as evil; they'll only go after the ones that are actively hostile, threatening innocents, or empowered by supernatural evil.

On building a party for this, I think it would help to develop character concepts for everyone, not just classes. You want a mage/thief to cover utility/support roles? Who are they, and what motivates them? After all, role-playing is the whole point of this character insert. While it might be the paladins in charge, the whole party should pull their weight in the story you're building.

Keldorn lived long enough to know when to pick fights...Korgan would mean him not seeing his kids again 😁
  • HampeHampe Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your advice!

In the end it became a Bard. Made sense RP-wise and I havent played with Bards as much as I want to.
    On building a party for this, I think it would help to develop character concepts for everyone, not just classes. You want a mage/thief to cover utility/support roles? Who are they, and what motivates them? After all, role-playing is the whole point of this character insert. While it might be the paladins in charge, the whole party should pull their weight in the story you're build

Oh there are, young Keldorn (or his paladin grandfather if that makes more sense) was just my starting point.

Paladin - Keldorns mentor/superior. Grizzled team-leader who is pissed off that he is not of a higher rank than he is. Disappointed that he got in charge of this young band of adventurers, but as a man of duty he complies and travels north.

Paladin - Keldorn. Young, confident and cocky. A bit more of a zealot in his religion and is about to get a reality check oo see that the world is not just black and white, good and evil.

Cleric of Tempus- Sent with the order. She volunteered for the mission as she would get a chance to see battle and to make a pilgrimage to the great north. Devout and and a bit careless she throws herself into battle not realizing she might be better off helping the team in other ways.

Archer - Assigned to the mission to be the wilderness guide. Not as prepared for the winter landscape and its enemies (just like me - who never played beyond chapter 3).

Mage/Thief - Halfling who was found in a Athkatla dungeon. Volunteered to get out of jail earlier. Arrogant and insufferable, as most mages.

Bard - Young woman from the Tentowns dying to get out on an adventure. Couldn't pass up the chance when a bunch of adventurers stopped by the tavern and told them they needed a guide to Icewind Dale and its towns. Who knew the customs and knew where to get a hold of information and equipment.

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Well, it certainly seems like you've got your concept in a good place. Have fun playing it!
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Nice choices. Have fun with all the new bard songs!