Skip to content

Why doesn't BG2 have a tutorial any more?

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
So, there WAS a tutorial in the original BG2, involving Belt, Imoen, Xan and Branwen in the Ducal Palace. It was very useful in explaining the game to new starters who had not played e.g. BG, PS:T or IWD.

Understandably, this tutorial was included in BGEE when it came out. This was a good idea, even though in many ways the Prologue in Candlekeep acts as a tutorial, what with the green robed Tutors and all.

What I don't understand is why the Ducal Palace tutorial is not in BG2EE as well? If I had never played an IE game before BG2EE I would appreciate having it available at the beginning of this game too.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i think the "tutorial" option is where "import game" is now, and interestingly enough, i never even knew import game was even there in bg2ee, and when i clicked on it, it indeed lets you choose a bg1ee save directly from bg1ee, although caution should be taken because apparently, if you attempt to import game, you better import something because for some reason once you hit that screen pressing the back button doesnt work and you need to crash the game ( or import one i suppose ) to continue on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The files for the tutorial are still there; it wouldn't take much to re-enable it.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Presumably part of the reason you needed it in BG2 (original) is that you might start with BG2 when you were picking it up off the shelf and BG1 wasn't in stock because it was a couple of years old by that point. When most people are buying from Steam/GoG and maybe directly, I suspect a lot more people start with BG1.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited January 2023
    Possibly, but I’ve bought number 2 or 3 in a series on Steam before number 1, e.g. if a particular volume is on sale but another is not, or looks more interesting to me or is more modern-looking. I feel that the tutorial is not a recap, but a way of introducing new players to IE, but that’s my opinion :)