Skip to content

Which classes cannot dual class?

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
Am I right in saying that the following cannot dual class under any circumstances (not without cheating anyway):

Bard, Paladin, Sorcerer, Barbarian, Monk, Shaman, Wild Mage?

Are there any other classes that can't dual class?

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    If it can't multiclass, it can't dual class.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited January 2023
    Even though Barbarians are a Fighter sub-class and Wild Mages are a Wizard/Mage sub-class?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    That is correct. There are mods out there that allow barbarians to dual class though.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Dwarven Defender, both because they are Dwarves and because the kit can't.

It's worth noting that even modding Barbarian to dual class has an issue because there are a bunch of items specifically banned for Barbarian for no good reason
  • BardsSuck_BardsSuck_ Member Posts: 133
    Anyone hates dual or multis ? It feels way too OP, i now just play pure classes, fighters cleric broke the game for me, way too OP
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited February 2023
    I'm playing a multi class fighter/cleric right now :)
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Multiclassing and dual classing usually gives the most versatile chars, but even without doing so you become absurdly powerfull if you've played the game for a while, several runs.

sorcs, mages, bards.. those are very easy-mode once you get past the first few lvls in BG1.
    Paladins and blackguards are also very strong single classes.. 75% magic resistance? 85% physical resistance? 100%++ fire resistance? Why not!
    Berserkers have a "i'm immune to all status effects, so i win" button.. of course you could combine this with mage in dual, but in a sense of power you really don't need to.

But all of this really builds on meta knowledge.. you're using the meta to obliterate the games enemies even harder than the last run. It's mostly a singleplayer game, the cradle of modern rpgs.. they never built it to have all classes have the same power.. and i don't think they imagined we'd be discussing what is gamebreakingly powerfull more than two decades after it's release.

Keep in mind, in a round based tabletop settings some classes and combinations would play out extremely differently.. but when you convert it to somewhere in between turn based and real time, things can get really altered in translation.